Challenge Caches....Signing your own?

KNAPAHOLIC

I'm not sure if this has been addressed here or not. A friend and I were wondering about whether a person should be allowed to log a challenge cache they put out. I'm generally a stickler for not logging your own stuff, but challenges are a little different. For instance, if you own a Fizzy challenge, there probably aren't anymore nearby for you to log. Just wondering, here. I'd be interested in hearing other's opinions.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed here or not. A friend and I were wondering about whether a person should be allowed to log a challenge cache they put out. I'm generally a stickler for not logging your own stuff, but challenges are a little different. For instance, if you own a Fizzy challenge, there probably aren't anymore nearby for you to log. Just wondering, here. I'd be interested in hearing other's opinions.

You're about to get 17 replies all saying the same thing.. do it if you want but be prepared for it to be called "in poor taste".

I say, if you want to do it, go ahead.

If the fact that there are any like it near you is the criteria for logging your own cache, then not counting power trails, you should be able to log any of your own caches. There aren't any caches by the mall other than mine-so I can log my own?

Yes you are allowed to- as in the website will allow you to log your own caches, your question is should you log your own caches.

If the fact that there are any like it near you is the criteria for logging your own cache, then not counting power trails, you should be able to log any of your own caches. There aren't any caches by the mall other than mine-so I can log my own?

Yes you are allowed to- as in the website will allow you to log your own caches, your question is should you log your own caches.

On one of the first big power trails those that placed the caches (including the owner of the account) posted finds on all of the (around 850 caches). They justified doing so because there were several people involved in the creation of the trail and because a cache hide is only credited to the owner of the account, they all didn't get "credit" for the hides so they all logged a found it for every cache.

Asking in the forums if it's okay log your own challenge sounds to me like trying to justify to your self and get validation for logging a find on a cache that you didn't actually find.

I wouldn't, but that's me and how I play. You're free to do what you want. The help center has a good article about logging your own cache, although challenges aren't specifically mentioned.

Also, what this wise man above said is very true:

I personally wouldn't submit a Challenge submission without qualifying for it first, so there would be no point in Logging a Find in my particular circumstance.

You're about to get 17 replies all saying the same thing.. do it if you want but be prepared for it to be called "in poor taste".

Well, almost. My answer is, "Don't do it, it's in poor taste." No one will stop you, but that doesn't mean I consider it a valid choice. The challenge in a challenge cache is just bigger and more explicit than the challenge involved in finding a traditional cache, so I see no reason to consider them differently.

I personally wouldn't submit a Challenge submission without qualifying for it first, so there would be no point in Logging a Find in my particular circumstance.

I think qualifying before you submit is the better way to look at challenge caches, although I also think it's OK for the occasional CO to acknowledge he is challenging himself as well as challenging everyone else. But even in that case, an Owner Maintenance log would be the way to announce success in order to implicitly admit that it would have been better if he had qualified before he submitted it, and now he's "fixed that". Logging a find just isn't the way to go.

I wish etiquette would allow me to find challenge caches that I created but it was not the norm when I started caching. I figured the WA Delorme Challenge was not found by the owner, nor was the Washington Fizzy or the Washington County or the Washington History so I have done the same myself. In the scheme of things if someone did do that, it might be what, 3 finds out of their 5000, who should really care but I think folks should either own a cache or find a cache.

It's just like logging your own Wherigo, or letterbox, or D5, on the basis there are not much nearby.

Some people make such caches on socketpuppers accounts only to log them and 'improve' their statistics.

The only difference with challenges is that the reviewer probably won't allow creating challegne from socketpuppy account because it will be required to fulfill challenge yourself before publishing it.

While it's technically possible to log your own caches even many times, each 'find' counting to statistics, or doing the same on the caches belonging to 'dead' accounts, or logging everything in the 100 km radius because probably no more than a half of owners will notice and delete the bogus logs, if you do that, you can expect harsh critic from the other geocachers.

Asking in the forums if it's okay log your own challenge sounds to me like trying to justify to your self and get validation for logging a find on a cache that you didn't actually find.

.....Again, I'm not interested in logging my own caches.

I wasn't implying that you, specifically, was trying to justify logging your own cache. It was more of a comment on the general nature of the question.

Some people make such caches on socketpuppers accounts only to log them and 'improve' their statistics.

While I wouldn't be surprised if people have created challenge caches on sock puppet accounts so they could log them themselves, it seems really unlikely they'd do it to improve their statistics, since it takes about 10 times as much effort to publish a cache as it does to go out and find a cache. If the goal is better statistics, why do the former for +1 when you can spend the same amount of effort on the latter and get +10?

This comes up all the time. It's a personal preference. The end.

Eh. The specific question asked by the OP was whether it should be viewed as different than logging your own traditional cache, so saying "personal preference" ignores the point of the question. Furthermore, saying "the end" implies that we should not provide input on each other's personal preferences.

Eh. The specific question asked by the OP was whether it should be viewed as different than logging your own traditional cache, so saying "personal preference" ignores the point of the question. Furthermore, saying "the end" implies that we should not provide input on each other's personal preferences.

"A friend and I were wondering about whether a person should be allowed to log a challenge cache they put out."

"allowed"

The only difference with challenges is that the reviewer probably won't allow creating challegne from socketpuppy account because it will be required to fulfill challenge yourself before publishing it.

Like this person? 0 Degrees C

Zero finds, yet this person is allowed to create 5 tough challenges that even I don't qualify for with over 11K finds.

Edited by BigChiefS4

..... but back to the thread I agree with the idea of challenge caches having their own type, it would negate the need for physical caches at the end of them, in the same way as Earthcaches do (they're similar in that they both require work to achieve). To me the completion of the Challenge is the fun bit not necessarily finding the token cache after you've qualified. It would also prevent people 'finding' caches they didn't qualify for. And if that were the case I wouldn't see anything wrong with claiming a genuine challenge as a find even if you created it, like an event you've organised for instance.

Generally though I can't see why people get their knickers in a twist over finds that people make whether dubious or not; play the way you want to play, if you think it's perfectly acceptable it probably is and does it really matter to you whether Joe Bloggs (or John Doe for you Americans) log a cache as a joint FTF that 20 people in the group have all claimed also. ( I wouldn't btw)

The numbers are yours and frankly most people in the world don't give two hoots what your numbers are so don't lose sleep over it; it's not worth it.

AS FOR LOGGING:

I do not log "finds" on my challenges. Perhaps it is slightly cheesy to do so and that crowds against my ethical line and how I elect to play the game.

I just can't take myself across the ethical line I have drawn for myself. **( we all play the game differently )**

I would not be upset by an individual logging a "find" on one of their own PROVIDED they qualified for the challenge.

I feel that attending your OWN event and qualifying for your OWN challenge are not that much different.

If you log yours I will not throw rocks at you.

AS FOR DEVELOPING:

I feel strongly that the developer of a challenge should have met the qualifications they are expecting others to meet. ( SILLY ME )

Zero finds, yet this person is allowed to create 5 tough challenges that even I don't qualify for with over 11K finds.

You and pfalstad get a huge eyeroll. It's still not me. Though, I would love to own that geocaching handle. Can they be adopted? :unsure:

You and pfalstad get a huge eyeroll. It's still not me. Though, I would love to own that geocaching handle. Can they be adopted? :unsure:

Why do I get an eyeroll? Do you seriously think it's OK for a sock puppet account with zero finds to create tough challenges like this?

Oh, and I never said it was you. You said that :P

While I wouldn't be surprised if people have created challenge caches on sock puppet accounts so they could log them themselves, it seems really unlikely they'd do it to improve their statistics, since it takes about 10 times as much effort to publish a cache as it does to go out and find a cache. If the goal is better statistics, why do the former for +1 when you can spend the same amount of effort on the latter and get +10?

This comes up all the time. It's a personal preference. The end.

I know of at least one person who does this. No doubt it's a whole lot easier for them to place one than having to drive 100 miles to get another one similar to it.

Why do I get an eyeroll? Do you seriously think it's OK for a sock puppet account with zero finds to create tough challenges like this?

0 is not a sock and I know for a fact that this cacher finds but doesn't log, for whatever reason. I think the idea is lame.

0 is not a sock and I know for a fact that this cacher finds but doesn't log, for whatever reason. I think the idea is lame.

What's lame is that he doesn't log his finds and prove that he qualifies for his own challenges. What is there to hide? The rest of us have to do it...

What's lame is that he doesn't log his finds and prove that he qualifies for his own challenges. What is there to hide? The rest of us have to do it...

Why does someone have to prove that they qualify? Does it make it any more or less of a challenge for you? Or are you just sore that you don't qualify? And I ask this with complete friendliness and respect.

Why does someone have to prove that they qualify? Does it make it any more or less of a challenge for you? Or are you just sore that you don't qualify? And I ask this with complete friendliness and respect.

It's not because I don't qualify. It's that I never put out a challenge that I don't qualify for myself. This person has zero finds and therefore can't prove that he qualifies for anything. It should be the same across the board for everyone. I published a challenge once that I forgot to post my qualifications for (oversight on my part, not intentional) and Gat R Done told me that he needed to see that I qualified for my own challenge. It's not that difficult. If 0DC isn't going to log his finds, that is his prerogative, but it's lame to expect everyone else to have to.

It's not because I don't qualify. It's that I never put out a challenge that I don't qualify for myself. This person has zero finds and therefore can't prove that he qualifies for anything. It should be the same across the board for everyone. I published a challenge once that I forgot to post my qualifications for (oversight on my part, not intentional) and Gat R Done told me that he needed to see that I qualified for my own challenge. It's not that difficult. If 0DC isn't going to log his finds, that is his prerogative, but it's lame to expect everyone else to have to.

But the guidelines state that the challenge must be attainable. The guidelines do not state that is must be attained by the hider, last I checked anyway. Our reviewer has not been consistent since day one. So I am not seeing the "unfairness". And you know me, I think the inconsistencies of Groundspeak and Reviewers is the worst part of geocaching.

Our reviewer will not publish a challenge cache of the CO hasn't already qualified for it. This may be because of DGP which is now lonelycache.com

Our reviewer will not publish a challenge cache of the CO hasn't already qualified for it. This may be because of DGP which is now lonelycache.com

Due to recent developments, I believe lonelycache.com needs to shut down. :ph34r:

P.S. I own a challenge cache I do not qualify for (a 2001 mini Jasmer challenge). But I placed it a few years ago. If I looked, I'd probably find I even mentioned that before in this thread.

Edited by Mr.Yuck