Central Jersey Get together?

nikcap

We're considering a picnic at Cheese Quake State Park, home of Melvin's Multiple Madness.

Right now where looking at the weekend of April, 26 & 27, (Low Tide at 11:44am), with an alternative weekend of May 3 and 4.

A picnic grove for 20 or more can be reserved for $50 and camp sites are available for $10 a night. (Night Vision) (Group sites are $1 per person)

No alcohol in the park, and no dogs allowed in the campsites or on the beach, but dogs are allowed in the picnic area.

Alternatively, if you're willing to chance it, you can grab and open picnic area for free, but that's first come first server. The reserved picnic groves are on the other site of the Parkway and away from teh masses.

Anyone with opinions or suggestions?

[This message was edited by Team Ekitt10 on March 25, 2003 at 05:35 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

A picnic grove for 20 or more can be reserved for $50 and camp sites are available for $10 a night. (Group sites are $1 per person)

No alcohol in the park, and no dogs allowed in the campsites or on the beach, but dogs are allowed in the picnic area.

Alternatively, if you're willing to chance it, you can grab and open picnic area for free, but that's first come first server. The reserved picnic groves are on the other site of the Parkway and away from teh masses.

Anyone with opinions or suggestions?

Well, unless the no dogs in the camping area is an issue to someone, why not grab a group campsite? Been awhile since I camped there, but if I remember correctly, they had picnic tables and a rest room. also Marty has several easier caches around the group camping areas. Seems like a nice, semi out of the way option without spending $50. Long as we dont get a scout troop camping with us!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

That sounds like a fun get together Orange.

As for Cheesequake, I don't remember where all of the spots in the park are, but I think the campsite and the reserved picnic groves are on opposite sides of the park. I guess if some of us camp out there, we'd have no trouble securing a picnic spot in the main part of the park.

Personally, I wouldn't want to exclude folks with dogs, since I know so many cachers do cache with their pups.

There also some decent mountain biking there if I remember correctly.

[This message was edited by Team Ekitt10 on March 26, 2003 at 04:32 AM.]

With regard to a possible Cheesequake get together, please note, Booth Field cache that was archived is back as Booth Field 2. There a few benchmarks in the area, KV6996 and KV6997 actually within the confines of the park. KV7138 just outside and near a strip mall good for resupply of food for campers. A new cache Harbor Park 'n Ride has been placed. For those traveling from the south, two new ones have been placed at the PNC Arts Center. I will try to place a few more in the Park and check on those already there

Sounds Good!

I have never did any caching up that far in NJ. A search of the area shows 12 caches within 5 miles of Melvins Multiple Madness and a lot of them have some very interesting log entries from New Jersey's finest Geocachers. If the event is on April 26th/27th I can make it up there, but the May 3rd/4th dates I will be busy with the NJGA Spring Picnic down here in Belleplain State Forest. Hope to see you all at both events.

Njski...

May 17th and 18th!

I scoped out Cheesquake today. Turns out that one of the group camp grounds has been closed and the other is reserved for Boy/Cub Scouts and other orginized and charted groups. Camping spots are ready to rent starting May 1st and are $10 a night. Reservations can be made for 2 nights but not 1, and are assigned on a first come first server basis w/o a reservation.

The reservable picnic areas are within walking distance of the campgrounds, and run $50.

I think it would be best to reserve a picnic area and play pot luck with the camp ground, as if it's very nice that weekend, there might be a large turn out.

There's also and niffty night gate that campers can use to enter and exit the park afterhours ... just in case they need to hit the local Wawa for and egg sandwich or test out their Night Vison! icon_wink.gif

quote:

May 17th and 18th!

I scoped out Cheesquake today. Turns out that one of the group camp grounds has been closed and the other is reserved for Boy/Cub Scouts and other orginized and charted groups. Camping spots are ready to rent starting May 1st and are $10 a night. Reservations can be made for 2 nights but not 1, and are assigned on a first come first server basis w/o a reservation.

The reservable picnic areas are within walking distance of the campgrounds, and run $50.

I think it would be best to reserve a picnic area and play pot luck with the camp ground, as if it's very nice that weekend, there might be a large turn out.

There's also and niffty night gate that campers can use to enter and exit the park afterhours ... just in case they need to hit the local Wawa for and egg sandwich or test out their Night Vison! icon_wink.gif

That sucks! Does that mean the NJGA needs a charter? Then we can get the group area? I was really hoping we could go with the original date, both for the tides and the fact that it would coincide with the international Cache In, trash Out events. Oh well. Maybe if we pull that string with them we can use the group area? icon_biggrin.gif Not sure I'm ready to put geocaching on the radar yet though. I know rangers in other state parks are aware of thier caches, but I have no experience with the rangers in cheesequake (aside from getting locked in one night caching!)

One thing, maybe I'm just cheap cause I'm still out of work, or just dont like spending $50 for a picnic table when it could go toward a domain for NJGA, but if the weather is nice that weekend: A- those camped out will be able to stake out a picnic area early on, and B- if the weather is crappy out, who is gonna show anyway? Just brainstormin' here, Nik!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

The may 17th date is good for me. I don't know too much about the park so I have a few questions:

What's up with the Tides?

Do they effect some of the caches?

Where are the best campsites?

I know the group campsites are not available, but maybe we can post our campsite #s here on this discussion page so we can try to stay in the same area when making reservations. (Just a thought)

It will be good to see you all again (except you Mopar!) icon_razz.gif

Njski...

quote:
Originally posted by njski:

... I have a few questions:

What's up with the Tides?

Do they effect some of the caches?

Perhap you should check out Mr. Mopar's log entry.

quote:

Where are the best campsites?

I know the group campsites are not available, but maybe we can post our campsite #s here on this discussion page so we can try to stay in the same area when making reservations.

Great idea. However, I'm actually getting conflicting stories from the Parks department there. So for the story goes like this. Camp sites are $10 a night, but reservations can only be made for 2 nights (with a $7 reservation fee). I ask if I can block out several sites, but they said no. Perhaps if we can get a head count on campers, I might be able to work something out with them. There are 53 campsite available, each site has a fire ring and picnic table and can accomadate two cars and six people.

I doubt they'll run out of space, I don't know how many people will really be sleeping in a swamp next to the Parkway on a mid-May night ... oh wait, this is Jersey icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gifI think I'm in on the weekend camping and probaly get a few other cachers to come I am going to scope out the camp ground on sunday morning. To see if my camper will fit. If so then we will bring chicken legs and thighs at least 20 to 30 lbs for the Bar B Q

I'm working on things so I can be there for the 17th/18th. Sounds like it'll be fun and I've been looking forward to taking a shot at those Cheesequake caches!

I'll bring my hip waders....

There is a difference between happiness and wisdom: he that thinks himself the happiest man is really so; but he that thinks himself the wisest is generally the greatest fool. Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

i am new to this caching thing waiting on my gps still but anyway i am interested in going on this camping trip thing just to meet some other ppl into caching and get a few pointers maybe even join someone for 1 or 2 hunts i know cheesequake from a couple jobs i did in the area the park is nice and the beech is tiny but a pleasent place to sit and relax anyway just wanted to say that im in by then i might have my gps in still sorta trying to find one i like if anyone has opinions on a good one let me know right now im looking at a etrex take care all till tomorrows posts

I went out and got some hip waders too. Muskrats,Mosquitos,& Muck and Melvin's Multiple are on my list for the Cheesequake picnic with a possibility of one of them being cache#400.

If there is anyone bringing the proper equipment for "Night Vision" I would like to tag along or borrow if possible. Njski...

This event is a little easier for the northern NJ crowd to reach. It’s to early to say for sure, But I’m going to try and attend.

I don’t think camping is an option for us though. Unless it’s just me and the Bardmin.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

At the moment I'm planning on attending in May, probably not

to camp, though.....

Not to take away from the May event....if people are

interested in forming a geocaching presence in

Central New Jersey (which I think Freehold is definitely a part of..),

then an opportunity might exist at the end of April.

The annual Outdoor Adventure Expo at Turkey Swamp Park in Freehold is

being held on Sunday, 4/27 from 10am to 4pm. If a group of us

could organize a setup of some sort, we could get a space for a booth

at the expo.

I have a name, number, and email contact info for someone with

Monmouth County Parks, but it has been difficult trying to reach

the person. From what I've found out so far, depending upon

not-for-profit status and the size of the booth needed, the

cost appears to be less than $50 to acquire a spot...which

could be easily shared by whoever can organize the booth.

Time is growing short. Is there any interest? I'd be glad

to assist in any way that I can if there's enough interest.

Regards....

intutor

I'm a maybe for this. For camping, probably not.

If I can find a chunk of 4-5 hours out of my weekend, I'll try to make it.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 12, 2003 at 03:35 AM.]

As of right now I'll be there.

Of course I'll be signing up members for the NJGA. I have put a link on the NJGA web page

to the Cache page for the picnic.

Also someone mentioned they didn't have a GPS

look me up and i'll be more than glad to take you with me as we search for some caches.

I may even hide a few in the area just for this event.

Alumni of Cache U !

for anyone who is interested: Sandy hook is home to fort hancock, a former NIKE base. there are still barracks, a radar tower, gun batteries and more and there are now giving tours. every saturday in may there is a nike missile radar site tour starting in horseshoe cover at 11AM, and between 1-4Pm are tours of the oldest gun batteries. there is also a special event on 5/11 with a video & lecture as well as tour. reservations required. I will try to attend yhe 11am tour if I dont have to pick up my mother in laws dogs from the vet. wouldnt mind meeting up with fellow geocachers there. I will probably be there the 17th

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

I've had a couple people mention to me that they will be there early on Saturday to hit some caches. Me and the wife will probably be there between 10 and 11am on Saturday. The park open for business at 8am and closes at dusk, of course their is a camper s entrance/exit. icon_wink.gif

Sunday morning, the Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese connoisseurs will be meeting either in the camp sites (Cachers Alley sites #20-26) or back at the picnic grove (Spring Hill).I have no idea how long we'll hang out on Sunday. I think we'll probably do most of our caching Sunday morning.

icon_smile.gifSunday you have to be out of the campsite by noon and the Taylor ham and egg sounds great.

I will be getting there early as i have to watch the height of the bridges comming in It looks as though I have a 1/2" clearance icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RDVH:

<<SNIP>>i have to watch the height of the bridges comming in It looks as though I have a 1/2" clearance <<SNIP>>

RDVH, do you think I'll have a problem with the van I have? You saw it last year at one of the picnics.

I think the clearance of the Parkway Bridge is 11ft and a few inches. (for some reason 4in comes to mind)

Also, NJSKI and the folks that throw the south jersey event will be donating the left over paper products (Plastic cups, Paper plates, Plastic silverware) Now we just have to get some food there.

I'll have Bocca burgers and tofu-dogs for everyone ... I'm counting on Brian to bring those boiled peanuts icon_wink.gif

BTW, it's a full moon Friday night that means two things, the low tide will be a wee bit lower, and the Jersey Devil is more likely to make and apperance icon_smile.gif

Since the paper goods have already been supplied what else is on the list of needs?

Is there a list of items that folks are bringing.

I'll be there - I'm planning on calling the park today to (hopefully) reserve a site.

Any suggestions on what area (I didn't come across an online map of the sites) - or worst case, anyone mind if I throw down a sleeping bag and park on their site?

All I need is a spot to sleep and space for a backpacking stove! >grin<

I've never stayed in this park before so any recommendations would be much appreciated. I'll probably be showing up early Saturday (and hope to get a shot at Melvins).

I'm thinking of tossing my mt. bike on the car as well, any need to bring a canoe along too?

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

I got site #27 for Fri and Sat. It's going to be just The Bardmin and myself. I offered to share it with a pair of infamous central NJ GeoCachers. I think the permit is good for 6 people and 2 cars. If there's a place to park nearby I'll have room for 2 more people in this site if no other sites are open.

The Bardmin and I were just going to bring our packs and small tent. I have an 8 men house tent that I'm going to toss in my car now though.

One thing you guys need to know though

ME SNORE LOUD You have been warned.

Just too much that weekend

quote:

...and the Jersey Devil is more likely to make an apperance icon_smile.gif

The plural New Jersey Devils will be making an appearance in the swamp about 25 miles N that Saturday, so I will unfortunately have to miss the gathering. (I also have a family event in SE Penna on Sunday). I was soooo looking forward to watching others attempt Melvin's from Marty's look-out spot - I may still be able to do so if the assault is made early enough on Saturday.

I noticed there was also talk of people visiting Sandy Hook that weekend. Be advised the MS Bike Tour will be starting there on Sat morning and will be taking up (at least) one of the parking areas all day.

I got my permit and a map or the campsites today in the mail. Here's a scanned copy of the campsite map. I'm in 27.

39478_1900.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

Since the paper goods have already been supplied what else is on the list of needs?

Is there a list of items that folks are bringing.

So far, the short list looks like, (as posted on the log entries):

Cookout supplies, plastic-ware and paper products - NJSKI

BBQ Chicken leg & Thighs - RDVH & ED634

Weird NJ 3 alarm Chili - GWHO

Some Burgers and Dogs - Team Morbid

Cupcakes and/or Cookies - SunCrush & Traumajunkie

Charcoal, Pork Roll, Pasta Salad, and whatever else might be needed - Team Ekitt10

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

I'm thinking of tossing my mt. bike on the car as well, any need to bring a canoe along too?

We're thinking about bringing the mountain bikes too, the Multi-Use trail is a pretty nice ride. We're also thinking of bringing a small telescope, but I think there might be too much light pollution there, plus, I don't know how the park rangers are with camper wandering out of the camping area.

[This message was edited by Team Ekitt10 on May 09, 2003 at 07:22 PM.]

Anyone going to the picnic, campout or just a day visit on May 17th weekend, should check the website for new caches which I will post on the Tuesday night prior to the 17th. There will be at least two new caches and possibly five, depending on my available time and weather.

Incidentally, it appears that Muskrats, Mosquitos & Muck is still in place and has not been visited since last May. Its a good warmup for Melvin's Multiple Madness. I did a visual check of Muskrats from a satellite photo, did not actually visit it. Hey, even I don't like visiting these caches for maintenance.

Ticks are out in force so bring your repellent.

icon_smile.gif posted May 08, 2003 04:07 PM

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by RDVH:

<<SNIP>>i have to watch the height of the bridges comming in It looks as though I have a 1/2" clearance <<SNIP>>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RDVH, do you think I'll have a problem with the van I have? You saw it last year at one of the picnics.

Harrald The problem I have is One beam of the first bridge is only 11 foot high I think your van will be ok

Just spoke to a very nice person at Cheesequake who reserved site 22 for me (Friday night and Saturday night).

I'll probably get there early Saturday - but since it's just me - anyone who hasn't reserved a site yet is welcome to share the site.

I'll be there Saturday - rain or shine! icon_biggrin.gif

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

Well, looks like I talked Mickey225 into trying out camping for one night at least. I'll be there for both, to help get things set up. If Harrald's offer is still open, I'll be on his site. How big is your second tent Harrald? Mine is HUGE, and overkill for just 2 people (10x18 I think if i set up the screen porch too).

Current Weather report for Old Bridge, NJ is

High: 53°F, Low: 43°F

Showers Early

Wind: From the Northeast at 12 mph

Precip: 30 %

Max. Humidity: 69 %

UV Index: 7 High

Raritan Bay high tides will occur at 9:01 PM FRI AT 7.0-7.5 ft and 9:24 AM SAT at 7.0-7.5 feet.

Good luck finding Melvin's!!! icon_wink.gif

While Melvin's is certainly on my hit list, I've been advised to not attempt it solo, so I'll see if there's a group that feels like getting dirty on Saturday afternoon! It'd be more fun doing it as a team effort anyway!

I figure - since BassoonPilot was just in the park grabbing some of the new caches but didn't stop by Melvin's (and he seems to like the harder caches) - it's not something to do solo!

It looks like there's plenty of great caches in the area (especially with Marty's new additions!) and I'm looking foward to meeting more cachers.... see you Saturday!!!

WOW, by my count there were 11 finds today in Cheesequake! A big hand to Ol' Magoo, found Muskrats, Mosquitos & Muck (even though he baled on Whitetail Retreat) You didn't do that one at lunch time did you Magoo?

Hope you guys didn't burn yourselves out, since there will be a few more available for Saturday's event. icon_smile.gif

See you all Saturday, remember this is a rain or shine event! Low tide is at 3:42pm on Saturday -0.4 height.