"Oops, something went wrong..."

Kenbirds

Please excuse me if this has come up before - I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I use a Samsung Ace II cellphone for geocaching with the Intro app and a non-premium member. I have had great success with it and am totally hooked on my newfound hobby/game, and have even got some friends who are interested in joining me. However, I have run into a problem that keeps cropping up - several times during a day of geocaching the app will read across the top "Oops, something went wrong, try again later." Sometimes if I exit the app and wait a while and try again it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've tried logging out of the app and then logging back in, and have tried shutting off my phone and re-starting it. Sometimes this works and sometimes not.

So, my question is - Is this a problem with my phone, a problem with the Intro app, a problem with not being a premium member, or just not being in a good location to get proper service. I fully plan on getting a new phone as soon as our contract expires in a couple months, at which time I want to get the full app and become a premium member. But I want to make sure just what is causing the message in the first place.

Thanks for any help.

I think I have seen that message a time or two when I had intermittent internet connection.

But have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app?

It's more likely that a "oops, something went wrong" error is on the server side. It's similar to a "500" error in a web application. It typically means that the processing of a request failed in some way but the failure wasn't "caught", so the application just reports that "something went wrong" rather than specifically indicated what the failure was. The cause could be anything from a programming error, failure to validate data before using it, database connection errors, or even if the server runs out of memory can't access some other resource.

Not to pick on you but "try reinstalling the app" is the kind of advice often give by technical support people that really don't understand the technology and are just reading from a list of possible solutions. It might temporarily stop the error message but the underlying cause may still exist.

The more information one can provide about what one was trying to do when encountering the error the better chance that the developers will be able to determine what that "something" was that went wrong.

Thanks for the help so far.

The only further information I can think of to provide would be that this happens when we're driving and I check to see if any caches are nearby that I can access. This is what makes me think that it's just a case of being in a bad reception area. However, once we stop, the error doesn't go away. In some cases this message comes up when I'm driving to a cache that I've chosen to go to (hit the start button at bottom right of page), and the app is still able to help me find it, but the map will then be out of focus for further afield areas. I hope this explains my situation a bit better.

Bottom line, in most cases it doesn't make the app unusable, just very frustrating since I'm unsure if it will work in any given situation or not.