Zone is not triggering in my Wherigo

CWillyPngn

Hi All

I had a geocacher who is having issues with one of my zones in my Wherigo. The zone is takes you to a historical marker where you have a Q&A before you move to the next zone. Apparently when he attempted to navigate to this zone, it did not trigger the location or the Q&A at the historical sign. He attempted to walk in and out of this zone with no success before calling it day. Is there an explanation why this might happen? He also had mentioned that he navigated to this area “down to 0.0 meters” and he still could not get the next zone to trigger.

Thanks,

CWillyPngn

Did he tell you what player / device he was using?

Does it work for you on your device / emulator?

The player with the issue mentioned by the OP was using an Android device, though I am unsure about the model or specific player.

I had the same issue at the same stage using a Nokia Lumia 920 (with Windows Phone 8.0) with Geowigo 1.0.10.0

Can you try it in the emulator, does it work in it?

How are you checking that you are in the zone? Do you check with the map view, as I find it more accurate than compass usually.

Does your onEnter event have any conditions in it?

Have you set the zone to always be in range? What is the range and proximity of it?

Sorry for all the questions!

Hi HackAmen:

I tested the latest version (Ver. 1.5) of the Wherigo in the Webwigo emulator and an older version (Ver. 1.4) on my iPhone. The only difference that between the two different versions of the Wherigo is that I made some changes to one of the questions.

I use map view in the Earwigo builder to set my zones for this area. It’s pretty wide open and the historical sign and the path nearby is visible.

For my OnEnter events, I use the commands under “Enter” only for all of my zones.

This is what I have for the first zones:

1st Zone:

→Show a screen Standard screen:Main

→Display dialog or message Message:MB0001

→Set value Task:Find Some Acorns!:Active => true

→Set value Task:Find Some Acorns!:Visible => true

→Set value Command(Item:Acorns)Pick up:Enabled => true

2nd Zone:

→Show a screen Standard screen:Main

→Display dialog or message Message:MB0002

→Set value Zone:Accotink Creek:Active => false

I have OnEnter events for the 1st zone for a character (“Talk to”) and for the Acorns (“Pick up”). The 2nd Zone will not become active (Set value Zone:The Railroad Trestle:Active => true) unless the task "Pickup Acorns" is completed.

The range for all of my zones is -1 meters and the proximity is 3 meters.

Thanks for your help!

CWillyPngn

Edited by CWillyPngn

I have OnEnter events for the 1st zone for a character (“Talk to”) and for the Acorns (“Pick up”). The 2nd Zone will not become active (Set value Zone:The Railroad Trestle:Active => true) unless the task "Pickup Acorns" is completed.

The range for all of my zones is -1 meters and the proximity is 3 meters.

I can't see much wrong here. My initial suspicion would be the Acorns task. If you could, I would try running it on an android device and use the map to check that the second zone has become active. I've only used the Urwigo emulator but I imagine the Earwigo one is the same, it should also show you if the zone has become active.

I can't see much wrong here. My initial suspicion would be the Acorns task. If you could, I would try running it on an android device and use the map to check that the second zone has become active. I've only used the Urwigo emulator but I imagine the Earwigo one is the same, it should also show you if the zone has become active.

Thanks! I forget that there's so many different types of Android phones out there. Does that have an impact on how well the Wherigo is played? I know that my Wherigo works well on the Samsung Galaxy, but another geocacher told me that he could not run any types of Wherigos on his HTC Android Device. I believe that they were using the same WP.

CWillyPngn

I've been on a little trip around Delaware this week (did you get any snow?), so I'll look at your cartridge when I return over the weekend. "Totoro," right?

I'm trying to make sense of your first question with the two zone outlines you provided later, but none of those contain a Q&A component. I think I'll figure that out when I look at your cartridge later, but I did want to ask to see why you didn't mention the cartridge flow around where the problem occurred. I can only guess the zone's OnEnter event only displays the input dialog. I'll know for certain when I get back and download your cartridge.

I have an Asus Transformer tablet running Android (and an iPhone, if that wasn't an odd combination of devices), so I'll try to play through the cartridge on the tablet. I'll just have to move the zones to where I live.

I've been on a little trip around Delaware this week (did you get any snow?), so I'll look at your cartridge when I return over the weekend. "Totoro," right?

I'm trying to make sense of your first question with the two zone outlines you provided later, but none of those contain a Q&A component. I think I'll figure that out when I look at your cartridge later, but I did want to ask to see why you didn't mention the cartridge flow around where the problem occurred. I can only guess the zone's OnEnter event only displays the input dialog. I'll know for certain when I get back and download your cartridge.

I have an Asus Transformer tablet running Android (and an iPhone, if that wasn't an odd combination of devices), so I'll try to play through the cartridge on the tablet. I'll just have to move the zones to where I live.

We didn't get much snow in our area. My kids were not too pleased about that. :)

Totoro is the Wherigo that seems to trip the android or Windows devices once in a while. It works very well on the iPhone when I tested at the park several times yesterday. The only issue that I noticed is that the zone does not trigger as rapidly if you approached the historical sign from the side (from the parking lot) instead of heading straight toward it (on the path). Maybe the zone needs to be expanded slightly?

I agree, I wasn’t too clear about explaining the layout of the zones. The first zone has a dialog with a character that includes a Q&A component and there’s a “Pick up” item component. If you complete the task (“Pickup Acorns”), it should activate the second zone. The second zone has only a simple Q&A component. From what I gather from the local cachers, they can navigate to the second zone, but it does not activate to generate the Q&A component. I hope that makes better sense. :)

Thanks for helping me out with this.

CWillyPngn

From what I gather from the local cachers, they can navigate to the second zone, but it does not activate to generate the Q&A component.

Hi CWillyPngn,

this looks like the old "entering a zone" problem that geocachers will have with Wherigos. A description of the issue can be found here http://goo.gl/hv1lfW

You don't have to read the whole document, the beginning should be enough to give you an idea what I think.

I think the reason that this "problem" occurs sporadically is not by phone type but by geocacher type.

I would love to have a look at the cartridge with Earwigo. Can you send me the current cartXXXXXXX.txt backup of your cartridge? geomagician has a mailbox at gmx.de

I looked through the cartridge and it looks like you have your events in order. I downloaded your cartridge and moved the first two zones to the two rooms where I live. I walked to the first zone and picked up the acorns. In the few playthroughs I did, I varied it by talking to the girl or not. As for the second zone, the message box and then the input came up. After this, I updated the version of WhereYouGo I had on my tablet and tried again. I specifically tried to tap the back arrow instead of the message box's "OK" button that triggers the input. Tapping the back arrow does nothing on a message box, so this is good. Tapping on the "OK" button always displays the input, regardless of my position inside or outside the zone (which is correct as the input is tied to the "OK" button, not the player's position within--or not within--the zone).

For the second zone, I had to wait until the GPS signal settled down to under nine feet. Even when this occurred, the wait was several seconds after that. I know my tablet is a little underpowered compared to some of the other Android phones people are carrying, so I'm attributing the wait to that. While I'm typing this, the input is displayed. Occasionally, my device will wander out of and back into the zone and the message box will be displayed again. On Garmin GPS devices, such a scenario will trigger an error severe enough to power off the GPSr (just be aware of that; while one solution is to deactive the zone upon enter, the player will be stuck if s/he cancels the input).

My final comment on the matter is I don't know how your players are working with the cartridge. My Android tablet triggers the zone's OnEnter event just fine, which will show the message and then the input. If the device wanders outside and back into the zone, the sequence of actions will just start all over again. Unless your players aren't being patient enough for the app to recognize they're within the zone, I can't see what else they're doing to cause their problem. My only suggestions at this time are for you to make the zone a little larger and/or accompany one of the players when s/he plays the cartridge.

-----

One last thing. It's nice that some of you people link to the Wherigo Foundation site. Its official URL is WherigoFoundation.com. Please don't link to foundation.rangerfox.com or rangerfox.net as those two URLs were just for testing the site before I registered the WherigoFoundation.com domain name. I will not guarantee the testing URLs will work in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to look through my cartridge for me. I am glad to see that it was not a programming-related issue that might have cause the problem. I have to admit that I was a little worried about that! :)

I’ve seen a similar delay in the activation of the second zone when I tested it with my iPhone recently. I ran a newer version of the Wherigo which had the zones expanded, and I noticed a slight improvement in the response time. I’m planning to use this version for a future update so hopefully it will help alleviate problem that some geocachers been having with the second zone. I am hoping to cache with the some of the local geocachers soon as you suggested. I’m very curious to see how the cartridge is played on their Android or Window phones.

Thanks for the heads up on the URL. I’ve updated the link on the cache page. It's been a great resource that I like to refer people to who are curious to learn more about Wherigos. :)

Thanks for your help!

CWillyPngn