Needs Maintenance

Bowtie_Mafia1

Log an Owner Maintenance log. Preferably after actually doing any needed maintenance.

You can also clear it directly from the Attributes menu, found in the Admin Tools box in the upper right corner of the cache page.

On my own caches, I tend to Owner Maintenance rather then use the attributes menu, helps reassure cachers I'm paying attention - unless some cacher has logged NM, when they should have simply logged a DNF.

How do I get rid of the needs maintenance symbol.

After you have visited the cache and performed the necessary maintenance, or confirmed that the cache is in place, you can do one of two things:

--delete the "needs maintenance" attribute

OR

--post an "owner maintenance" log

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.16. How do I remove the needs maintenance icon?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=404

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.8. Managing Your Geocache Listing

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=234

B.

On my own caches, I tend to Owner Maintenance rather then use the attributes menu, helps reassure cachers I'm paying attention - unless some cacher has logged NM, when they should have simply logged a DNF.

I always use Owner Maintenance because it's the proper response to a Needs Maintenance, even when the maintenance I performed is confirming that the person posting the NM didn't know what they were doing. If you go diddle the maintenance flag directly, people naturally start wondering what you're hiding, and since you're not hiding anything, why open that question? Just always explain why you're flipping the bit in an OM log.

I always use Owner Maintenance because it's the proper response to a Needs Maintenance, even when the maintenance I performed is confirming that the person posting the NM didn't know what they were doing. If you go diddle the maintenance flag directly, people naturally start wondering what you're hiding, and since you're not hiding anything, why open that question? Just always explain why you're flipping the bit in an OM log.

As a cacher I can tell you that I also prefer "owner maintenance". Sometimes I have a watch on a cache and am waiting for it to be fixed. This lets me know that it is now ready to be found again.

Edited by Munkey990

As a cacher I can tell you that I also prefer "owner maintenance". Sometimes I have a watch on a cache and am waiting for it to be fixed. This lets me know that it is now ready to be found again.

Absolutely!

There's a cache 15 miles or so from me that I've been waiting to see a maintenance log, or at least a note from the CO. It has 7 or 8 DNF logs in a row, and it's not a high diff. cache. Well, I saw the CO at a recent event, and asked him about it ... his response was that it's still there, and OK. Well, that doesn't do me a lot of good, does it?

He wasn't really thinking past that it is there and OK.

On my caches, if there are some DNFs and I check, or eve if I'm just in the area and check on one of my caches, I'll do an Owner's Maintenance, even when there's no NM log. Why not? It shows cachers that I'm taking care of my caches.

If you think there is any validity to the NM log, go check on the cache and fix it. Then post an owners maintenance log explaining what you found when you visited the cache and how you fixed it.

The only reason to post a NM log is that you believe there is an issue with the cache and as a courtesy to the owner you are telling them that as well as letting others know. The owners responsibility is to respond in some way, either by checking, or by explaining why they don't think it is necessary. Every time a NM log is posted the CO gets an email alert and they have the option to respond in a variety of ways. If there is no response by the CO within two weeks you can assume they don't care and aren't going to do anything about it. Many CO's never respond as a quick check of the nearest 10 caches with a NM symbol will confirm.

If you think there is any validity to the NM log, go check on the cache and fix it. Then post an owners maintenance log explaining what you found when you visited the cache and how you fixed it.

The only reason to post a NM log is that you believe there is an issue with the cache and as a courtesy to the owner you are telling them that as well as letting others know. The owners responsibility is to respond in some way, either by checking, or by explaining why they don't think it is necessary. Every time a NM log is posted the CO gets an email alert and they have the option to respond in a variety of ways. If there is no response by the CO within two weeks you can assume they don't care and aren't going to do anything about it. Many CO's never respond as a quick check of the nearest 10 caches with a NM symbol will confirm.

Or many, many cache owners have no idea that an "owner maintenance" log will clear that NM attribute, as the existence of this thread confirms.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Post an owner maintenance log.

Cuz that hadn't been mentioned already, eh?

:rolleyes:

Or many, many cache owners have no idea that an "owner maintenance" log will clear that NM attribute, as the existence of this thread confirms.

Repetition aids learning! :anitongue::rolleyes:

For those who have not heard, remember that posting an owner maintenance log will clear away the needs maintenance symbol. :yikes:

For those who have not heard, remember that posting an owner maintenance log will clear away the needs maintenance symbol. :yikes:

Yes, but after asking here about it, he still hasn't done it.

An NA was posted on one hide because it "hasn't been found in three months", and he hasn't answered the disablement.

Yes, but after asking here about it, he still hasn't done it.

An NA was posted on one hide because it "hasn't been found in three months", and he hasn't answered the disablement.

Wow! Someone put NA on a cache because it hadn't been found in three months?? And obviously never looked for it, since there was no DNF logged. Talk about entitlement!

Hmm... Two of my cache were found today! They hadn't been found in two-and-a-half years! Glad nobody put an NA on them for not being found in three months!

Wow! Someone put NA on a cache because it hadn't been found in three months?? And obviously never looked for it, since there was no DNF logged. Talk about entitlement!

Hmm... Two of my cache were found today! They hadn't been found in two-and-a-half years! Glad nobody put an NA on them for not being found in three months!

Posting an NA because a cache hasn't been found in three months is ridiculous, but is it really necessary to post a DNF if you're posting an NA? The only time I was certain a cache was gone was because GZ was right in the middle of an area recently cleared for construction. I posted an NM (active CO, so I figured he'd archive it if necessary, no need to bother the reviewer), but didn't bother with a DNF. I mean, it's obvious I didn't find it from the fact that I just posted saying that GZ was gone, right?

Posting an NA because a cache hasn't been found in three months is ridiculous, but is it really necessary to post a DNF if you're posting an NA? The only time I was certain a cache was gone was because GZ was right in the middle of an area recently cleared for construction. I posted an NM (active CO, so I figured he'd archive it if necessary, no need to bother the reviewer), but didn't bother with a DNF. I mean, it's obvious I didn't find it from the fact that I just posted saying that GZ was gone, right?

Well, that's certainly logical, but I'd post the DNF also--because I want to keep my DNF stats correct.

Yes I noticed that as well. I emailed him about it. At the moment of the six caches placed, 5 are either disabled, archived or need maintenance (3) so perhaps it was more a rhetorical question...

Sorry for the late response. During the winter months, my caches are dormant. Outta sight outta mind thing. LOL

I fixed my issues and thanks for the follow up, the forum is a great place for advise.

Thanks again!!

Tell me about it. I get the same lady posting NM to all my caches, because she can't find them. I feel like I'm being punished because she's bad at geocaching and can't find 1 or 1.5 difficulty cache. I do this with my 10yr old son, so we make them easy enough that other kids can find them. Sorry, I had to vent. lol

Tell me about it. I get the same lady posting NM to all my caches, because she can't find them. I feel like I'm being punished because she's bad at geocaching and can't find 1 or 1.5 difficulty cache. I do this with my 10yr old son, so we make them easy enough that other kids can find them. Sorry, I had to vent. lol

Sounds like a polite email is in order.