New Cacher

emmeany

Hello,

I just started caching on Friday. I am a college student and have found that there are multiple caches on campus. I found my first one today (it was empty). My problem is figuring out how to use the intro app to locate a cache. I have gotten to 30 feet, but there is absolutely nowhere around to hide it(all grassy area). Another one I tried The app suddenly jumped from 150 feet to 250, and there was no alternate route to get there. Can anyone help me? I have watched the videos multiple times, and am still confused.

Hello,

I just started caching on Friday. I am a college student and have found that there are multiple caches on campus. I found my first one today (it was empty). My problem is figuring out how to use the intro app to locate a cache. I have gotten to 30 feet, but there is absolutely nowhere around to hide it(all grassy area). Another one I tried The app suddenly jumped from 150 feet to 250, and there was no alternate route to get there. Can anyone help me? I have watched the videos multiple times, and am still confused.

You don't specify which phone app you are using.

Have you read the Help Center articles?

Help Center → Apps

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

A lot depends on what the cache is that you are trying to find. I don't think the intro app is supposed to suggest micros or caches with difficulty ratings more than 1.5.

edit: I see the cache you've logged as found, and it's listed as a micro. So my understanding of the intro app is mistaken.

Could you post the GC code(s) of the caches you're having problems with?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Also, please note that a cache is supposed to contain a log book or scroll, or something for people to sign.

From the Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Geocache containers include a logsheet or logbook.

For all physical caches, there must be a logbook, scroll or other type of log for geocachers to record their visit.

If there isn't one, then you should post a "needs maintenance" log, as well as your "found it" log.

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Finding a Geocache

3.5. I found a geocache that needs maintenance

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=551

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Logging a Geocache

4.2. What log type should I use?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=534

B.

Sucks your first one was empty. Even if it is just a grassy area some Cache Owners are creative and it might be there. Might even be under a blade of grass or something. With the coords thing some phones jump around. Possibly give it time to settle down. Or walk away and then come back or if you can use some kind of a map option that are sometimes there you can see where it is on the map to help you figure out where it might be. If you keep at the game I am sure you will find it really fun and figure out how to get them. We stumbled around on our first few finds as well!

The ones I am having the most trouble with are GC13KF7-Turtle Tower(which is 400 feet from my dorm room), and GC1K2ZT- Turtle Stadium. The one I found was GC25E60-UNCG Micro-cosm. I just posted a needs maintenance, but there had already been one placed. I am using the Geocaching Intro app.

The ones I am having the most trouble with are GC13KF7-Turtle Tower(which is 400 feet from my dorm room), and GC1K2ZT- Turtle Stadium. The one I found was GC25E60-UNCG Micro-cosm.

Those two are also very small containers. Look through all the previous logs on the cache page, and check out the photos. They show the cache containers.

Those cache owners don't seem to be active any more. If I were you, I would try looking for larger size caches, and more recently published ones. Also check to see if anyone has posted a "found it" really recently. A legitimate one, not ones that say something like "couldn't sign the log", etc.

I'm very surprised that the Intro app suggests micros or caches with the incorrectly marked "not chosen" size. I guess if those are the only ones in your area, the app doesn't have much choice. It's not a very helpful thing to do to new cachers, though.

I just posted a needs maintenance, but there had already been one placed.

It doesn't matter. If you recently searched for the cache, found it, and the cache was empty, it needs an updated "needs maintenance" log. People who might be looking for it after you might like to know that there has been nothing done in the way of maintenance recently. (Again, looks like an absentee owner.)

I am using the Geocaching Intro app.

I got that already, what I'm saying is that you didn't specify if it's for the iphone, android, or other phone.

Whichever, the link I gave you to the Help Center - Apps section will help you.

The Help Center itself is a good place to start learning about Groundspeak's geocaching.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

B.

Pup Patrol has already offered you the common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

It sounds like your device may not have a very accurate GPS system. Another possibility is that GPS system is disabled, and your device is using cell towers and/or WiFi hotspots to determine your location, which is not as accurate. Check your device's settings and make sure that the location services have GPS enabled. (Some phones come with GPS disabled because the GPS antenna uses a lot of power.)

Anyway, once you get within 5-6m (16-20ft) of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden. Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

At the risk of asking a silly question - is the GPS feature of your phone enabled?

The way you describe the distance to the cache jumping around by large increments hints that GPS might be turned off, and that the phone is calculating its position based on (often) less accurate cell triangulation.

Check that GPS is enabled and you may find that accuracy and stability improves.

I am using the app on iphone 4. I did find another cache today! I think I am just going to have to leave the turtle ones alone. Almost all of the ones the app shows me are micro. I have tried looking up others but only one was not micro.

Which App are you using? I was under the impression that the Official Groundspeak Intro App (the FREE one) didn't show micro sized caches. Has that been changed in the app?

I was under the impression that the Official Groundspeak Intro App (the FREE one) didn't show micro sized caches. Has that been changed in the app?
IIRC, the last time the criteria were explained, micros rated D1.5 or below were included. The difficulty limit for small, regular, and large caches was a little higher.