Show DNF symbol on maps

edscott

I know this has come up in the past, but I can find no statement from Groundspeak explaining why our maps do not include the DNF symbol for unfound caches where we have posted a DNF.

Hmm...this is an interesting idea. It would be neat to see which caches I have posted a DNF for and found after. I would be curious to see a visual representation of the data on a map. I'd support the development of some feature which performs this task. Interesting.

I believe it's a hamster limitation. "Found" or "Owned" are existing states for a cache page. The maps are already customized to reflect "found equals yes" and "owned equals yes." There is no "yes/no" state for the question "has the account ever logged a DNF on this cache?" That would need to be added deep in the wiring of the cache database, then projected onto the maps. The hamster powering the map server would need an extra spin around the wheel after answering whether the cache was found or owned, whether it was disabled, whether it met other filter criteria, etc.

I believe it's a hamster limitation. "Found" or "Owned" are existing states for a cache page. The maps are already customized to reflect "found equals yes" and "owned equals yes." There is no "yes/no" state for the question "has the account ever logged a DNF on this cache?" That would need to be added deep in the wiring of the cache database, then projected onto the maps. The hamster powering the map server would need an extra spin around the wheel after answering whether the cache was found or owned, whether it was disabled, whether it met other filter criteria, etc.

I doubt that's how it would work. When viewing the map page, a list of caches to be displayed could be return by searching the database using the center point of the map. That list of caches could contain the "owner" and "PMO" status. The system currently has a facility for obtain a list of log types (one can display a list of caches that have "not been found" (http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1<=3). Searching the users logs could be used to determine whether to override the displayed icon with a Found it, Didn't Find It icon. Ther *is* a yes/no answer for whether an account has ever had a DNF (and not a subsequent) found but it requires a little more calculation than just reading a single field like "owner" or "pm only". All that could be done before it actually rendered the cache icons layer on the map.

I know this has come up in the past, but I can find no statement from Groundspeak explaining why our maps do not include the DNF symbol for unfound caches where we have posted a DNF.

That's a cool idea. I would like to see those on my app so I know which ones I have to go back to another day.

That's a cool idea. I would like to see those on my app so I know which ones I have to go back to another day.

Do we still have a suggestion area? I like this idea and I have one. To show maybe a check mark on Puzzles that you have solved and have corrected the coords on.

The hamsters need to be whipped into submission until they can perform that useful task.

... it requires a little more calculation than just reading a single field like "owner" or "pm only".

Ummmm, yeah. Like I said.

The point was that the calculation wouldn't happen in the map server, and if the system has to read the users logs anyway (which it would have to do in order to determine if a cache on the map was found), it doesn't take much more to check if the cache was DNF'd.

:unsure: I know I'm old and in the way but I don't need a map pointing out which Cache I have a DNF.

:blink: My memory has not got that far to forget a simple DNF. My GPSR just tells me to go back and try again. :anicute:

Heh, that's my thought too. If I DNF a cache there's two possible outcomes: I decided I never want to visit the cache again and Ignore it or I come back some other day because it shows as just another unfound cache. If it were optional I'd support the idea, but I'd hate to see the rendering of the map slowed down for a feature I can't see myself using.

Early on they did have a blue frown face when you DNFed. I too wish it would come back.

It's interesting that you mention the blue frownie face.

I was recently caching up in the mountains where I had no cell coverage. When I saved a DNF log on a cache (using c:geo on my phone), my map showed a blue frownie -- which I thought was really cool.

Unfortunately, once I got back in a coverage area and was able to post my DNF, the cache just showed up as unfound again. I was very sad.

Just another vote for making DNF's visible on the map in some way. Blue or red symbol.

If it's difficult to do it automatically from the logged DNF, could it perhaps be a USER input to mark his own map.

I am getting to the stage of re-visiting caches since they show as "not found" and then after trekking to them I remember the previous visit. what a wasted walk.

Just another vote for making DNF's visible on the map in some way. Blue or red symbol.

If it's difficult to do it automatically from the logged DNF, could it perhaps be a USER input to mark his own map.

I am getting to the stage of re-visiting caches since they show as "not found" and then after trekking to them I remember the previous visit. what a wasted walk

Just like golf!

Edited by GrateBear

Maybe make the background of the symbol blue, so you still see the cache type icon?

And if they did that, they could do the same thing with found caches to avoid the same problem there.

I don't see "the same problem" with found caches. Do you plan caching trips to revisit found caches based on cache type? Whether the found cache is a puzzle or not (for example) doesn't really affect me when looking at the GC maps, I'm more interested in data about the caches I might look for.