Backpacking Again

briansnat

We've kicked around the idea of a backpacking trip before. There was a lot of interest, but agreeing on a date was hard. So let me throw these dates out there:

Weekend of June 21st, or the weekend of June 26th.

Any preference?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

We would be interested in a trip in Harriman, the Catskills, or in Virginia with Outsid4evr. June 7 & 8 may be a problem, but the other weekends are okay with us.

We would prefer the Catskills to Harriman, mainly because an area we do not know is more interesting than an area we know.

We do not know the Virginia Mountains, so that is interesting.

The Catskills would be my preference. There are a lot of great hikes with breathtaking views. But it can be stiff hike there. There are some trails with a 2,000+ ft elevation gain over a little more than a mile. I'd have to get back in shape for a Catskills jaunt!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Sounds like a great idea but ill be backpacking on the AT already by then. Im leaving June first and walking out my door up the state line trail in hewitt st forest and up towards Maine! If you wanna meet me along the way Ill be up for it. I hadnt planned caching during this time. I want to bring my Magellan along but I has succome the horrors of GC5 cache. I dropped it up there sunday on one of the cliffs overlooking the site to the sw. I put in on top of my pack to tie my shoe or something and when I grabbed the pack I launched it. Oops. I picked up the pieces, fired it back up and made it back to the car fine. everything works except the backlight. Im gonna send it out to get fixed but might not have it back by then. So i got a backup just in case. A meri yellow.

Hope you guys have fun!

I might be interested in a Catskills jaunt in June -- either date... Any ideas as to which areas? (I've walked quite a bit there in a previous life...excellent place to be any time)

Outsid4ever -- maybe, possibly, depending on which weekend.

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

quote:
any ideas as to which areas? (I've walked quite a bit there in a previous life...excellent place to be any time)

Since it's likely just to be an overniter, perhaps Panther Mountain/Giant Ledge, Cornell/Wittenberg/Slide, Indian Head, North Point, or Black Dome. The latter three are loops that don't require a car shuttle.

I checked my schedules (meaning I asked my wife for permission) and the June 28th date is my best weekend. Any of the Catskill loops would be great -- or if there's any interest, a bushwhack to one of the offtrail canisters for the 3500' Club. I've got 4 left to do...

I'd drive up from MD on Friday, meeting with others...? I'll be the guy in the parking lot wearing the leather face mask doing the chainsaw dance...

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

I'm good -- I've pretty much decided to go up the 28th anyway, as it's been too long a time here in the great alluvial plain of the Delmarva Peninsula... BrianSnat, you've cached up there, so you pick as to what you want to find that's new for you. Where ever you want to go is fine... if I go it alone, it will probably be to Kaaterskill High Peak to kill two birds with one gps -- the peak is a "trailless peak" I haven't climbed for the 3500 Club, but has snowmobile trails (I don't recommend bushwacking alone even though I'm stupid enough to do it myself once in a while), and it has a couple of virtuals and a few caches physical caches nearby. I don't know what parking, views, campsites, etc, are like, etc. (The other off-trail peaks I want to climb to say I did them all are harder --Friday, Balsam Cap (near Slide) and Sherrill) But, anywhere else is good too. The views are inspiring, if you expend the sweat to get to them... and if a cache is available, even better. Hell, just getting above sea level is a treat for me anymore.

Kaaterskill HP is a good idea. Roundtop is next to it and would make a good side trip. It was the site of a colonial fort, from what I've read, so it would be great to check that out.

But the trip we choose depends on who is going. The hike to Kaaterskill via Wildcat Ravine can be a tough one...3 hours of steady uphill walking. I'd rather do an easier trip and have a bunch of people come, than take a tough one with one or two others. But heck, if it's just gonna be you and me, I'll do Kaaterskill, Friday, Balsam, or wherever. I just gotta hit the track to get in shape.

I'm with you...Why don't we leave it open ended for a while, until maybe a week or so before the actual hike to garner more interest, then pick the loop, trail, or peak. What ever is decided -- easy, moderate, hard -- is fine with me. I haven't hiked in the Catskills since 1990, and will find the homecoming pleasing where ever it ends up to be.

**I was actually thinking of taking Kaaterskill from the southwest side, along Prediger Road out of Platte Clove Road from W. Saugerties. My old maps show a parking area there, and the snowmobile trails circling up to the top. It might be the longer but easier way up.**

(I could stand a few turns on the track before going, as well.)

quote:
**I was actually thinking of taking Kaaterskill from the southwest side, along Prediger Road out of Platte Clove Road from W. Saugerties. My old maps show a parking area there, and the snowmobile trails circling up to the top. It might be the longer but easier way up.**

I've never done it from that way, though I've finished some trips at that end. If we go that way, it's possible to walk in a mile or two, cache (I love that word now) our packs, then hike to the top. That way we don't have to hike to the top with full packs. Then we can get back and make camp where we left our packs.

There is a stream that crosses the Huclkeberry Point trail (which is a new one) and there are spots to camp there.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

That sounds good -- but again, I'm happy with anywhere in the park, if others want to go elsewhere -- the Kaaterskill side is one of the few areas that is still virgin territory to me (I lived in Hancock, NY for three years).

I'm looking forward to meeting y'all, oh Great Voices of the Forums, and since I'm sitting at 95 caches, have scads of accumulated honey-do's to do over the next weekends, I'll save #100 for this trip...

Ok, I'm going to make this one an event cache. I like the idea of a shorter backpack to a nice campsite and a rigorious day hike afterward. That way most of us can participate, no matter what shape we're in (I also have extra packs, tents, sleeping pads and bags if anyone has a need).

Since Metaphor still needs to bag High Point, I'm leaning towards that trip if it's OK with everyone else. If Metaphor doesn't come along, I have a similar trip to Indian Head or Giant Ledge in mind.

Either way, my idea is to meet early Saturday morning (9ish) and hike to a potential campsite (about 1 or 2 miles). There we can drop off our packs and anybody who isn't interested in bagging the peak can stay behind and relax (but if anybody touches my bottle of Bushmills while I'm gone, they're a dead man). The rest of us can assault High Point and Round Top (Or Indian Head).

There are also camping possibilities and hotels in the area for those who prefer to come up Friday night and avoid the early morning start.

What say y'all to this?

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on June 04, 2003 at 05:16 PM.]

Just bumping this to the top since it's two weeks away. So far it's me and Metaphor and maybe Hartclimbs.

If anybody needs to borrow backpacks, tents, sleeping bags, etc... I have extra, so don't let that keep you away. It will also be a two part trip with a fairly easy and short backpack to the campsite and a strenuous day hike to follow. Those who are aren't into peak bagging can relax at the campsite, or head of to a nearby scenic overlook.

Bump -- one week away...

Let's get the particulars and contact info down solidly this weekend. I'm going to drive up and bivouac close by on Friday, and meet up Saturday morning.

Kaaterskill High Peak, approach from the SW, cache camp and day hike...

That's the plan. We can meet somewhere Sat morning. Perhaps at the parking area on Plate Clove Rd where the Long Path crosses?? Old maps show this as the NYC Police Camp, but the latest map doesn't have it. Maybe they closed it down.

I'll use my National Geographic Topo to try to get coordinates.

If we meet at 9:30 get on the trail by 10:00, we'd find a campsite by 11ish. That would give us most of the afternoon to get to High Peak and back.