Dealing with parking coordinates

ubievol

I have been experimenting with the "send to GPS" feature with my Garmin 62 and premium membership and it is amazing to have the cache data download right into the GPS! I am wondering however how to handle the parking waypoints. They can be typed into the 62 by hand, but entering data like that letter by letter on the Garmin is pretty cumbersome. Driving directions could be written down or printed but that kind of negates the "paperless" system.

So, I am looking for ideas. How do others handle this? You have loaded up your GPS and are setting out -- how do you figure out the driving/parking part?

Thanks!

I type the few that include parking coordinates into the Nuvi.

That is something else that I considered, and a good excuse to buy another GPS! ;-)

Does the Nuvi offer an alphanumeric screen for typing in coordinates, or do you scroll to each letter and hit "enter" like on the 62sc?

I have been experimenting with the "send to GPS" feature with my Garmin 62 and premium membership and it is amazing to have the cache data download right into the GPS! I am wondering however how to handle the parking waypoints. They can be typed into the 62 by hand, but entering data like that letter by letter on the Garmin is pretty cumbersome. Driving directions could be written down or printed but that kind of negates the "paperless" system.

Are they on the cache page as Additional Coordinates?

They should be sent to the GPS if they are.

Try looking under waypoints.

Caches get sent as GC1234, waypoint (parking) should be PK1234

It's been a long time since I used the "send to" function, but doesn't it send a gpx file with any additional waypoints (such as parking coordinates) to the gpsr? The Groundspeak help section seems to indicate that listed waypoints are sent, so there would be no need to add those by hand.

If you save the gpx file for the cache page or use pocket queries you can also load both the cache information and the additional waypoints into the 62s.

I usually go about it somewhat differently because I use an iPhone caching app to manage things, and import the gpx file directly to that. It saves the additional waypoints as well, and allows me to transfer them to the gpsr if I need to do that.

Edited by geodarts

Yes, good call, looks like the two parking coordinates options were entered as "P" waypoints. But, there are no "GC" waypoints even though a geocache was entered. There is a "TH" waypoint that is close to the parking coordinate -- could that be the cache?

Yes, good call, looks like the two parking coordinates options were entered as "P" waypoints. But, there are no "GC" waypoints even though a geocache was entered. There is a "TH" waypoint that is close to the parking coordinate -- could that be the cache?

TH = Trail Head.

Also abbreviations for stages of a multicache...

Help centre Stages and Additional Waypoints

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I type the few that include parking coordinates into the Nuvi.

That is something else that I considered, and a good excuse to buy another GPS! ;-)

Does the Nuvi offer an alphanumeric screen for typing in coordinates, or do you scroll to each letter and hit "enter" like on the 62sc?

Alpha screen. Some of the newest offer a choice of styles.

The cache would not be under waypoints. It is listed under geocaches.

Thanks for all the responses. I will review the info in the help center also.

You need a waypoint manager. A waypoint manager is basically an application that will run on your computer that and load, manage, and export waypoints. Many people GSAK but there are other options as well. Since you're a premium member you can create pocket queries, which will give you a list of cache waypoints as well as all the additional waypoints associated with each cache. You can load the results into a waypoint manager, then send everything to your GPS. It's much more efficient then trying to send cache info from the website directly to your GPS one at a time.

You need a waypoint manager. A waypoint manager is basically an application that will run on your computer that and load, manage, and export waypoints. Many people GSAK but there are other options as well. Since you're a premium member you can create pocket queries, which will give you a list of cache waypoints as well as all the additional waypoints associated with each cache. You can load the results into a waypoint manager, then send everything to your GPS. It's much more efficient then trying to send cache info from the website directly to your GPS one at a time.

I have heard of GSAK, but it does not run on the Mac. Can you recommend a waypoint manager for the Mac?

I have heard of GSAK, but it does not run on the Mac. Can you recommend a waypoint manager for the Mac?

I don't have a Mac so there may be a better option but there is a version of Basecamp (by Garmin) for the Mac.