How far away from a school can I hide a geocache?

CacheMule

So I'm just wondering if I'm hiding a geocache across the street in the woods how far away does it have to be?

That sounds like a question best answered by your local reviewer. I would expect different answers for each situation, based on the locality.

• Helpful 2

So I'm just wondering if I'm hiding a geocache across the street in the woods how far away does it have to be?

That sounds like a question best answered by your local reviewer. I would expect different answers for each situation, based on the locality.

+1

The Guidelines don't give any specific guidance on the subject:

The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, major roadways, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

Likewise, the related Help Center article is also worded in a rather vague manner:

Choose an Appropriate Location - Is it a place where your cache could be mistaken for a bomb, like a bridge or airport? Is it near a school where cache hunting behavior is going to draw the attention of parents or school staff who will call the police first and ask questions later?

Your local Reviewer will probably give you a more definitive answer, but if you want to post the coordinates or a picture/map of the area, we could all take a vote ;)

• Helpful 1

How far away from a school can you hide a geocache? As far as you want to. Oh, I see: you want to know how close to a school you can hide a cache. While there are guidelines, as the other responders have mentioned, the basic answer is that if you're worried that it might be too close to the school, then it is.

• Helpful 2

Way I see it...if you, assuming you are a parent, would be concerned with numerous strangers hovering in a particular area with no obvious purpose close to or within sight of your children, then it's too close. We, as cachers, get enough folks suspicious of our activities as it is...no need to make it any worse.

• Helpful 1
34 minutes ago, bobbybear1966 said:

Seems to me that a reviewer should chime in with a real answer for this question rather than a bunch of non-specific responses.

The first reply was the most specific response possible:

On 11/16/2014 at 9:27 PM, K13 said:

The specifics will vary depending on each situation, so a specific response that applies in California may not apply at all in Maine, not to mention in places like Germany or India.