Crazy CO's

Pretty sketchy area, not sure why we would have been brought here. Hope a geocacher didn't do this damage looking for the cache

Cache with Pride!

Seems rather honest, straightforward and bland. Not something I could imagine anyone getting stirred up over.

There are those among us who are just waiting to be offended.

Oh yes! I believe that 100%!!! I can get offended but you really have to work hard at it. My buttons are covered and locked out. Safety is important!

For those that get offended or annoyed too easy, being a CO isnt for you. Geocaching is a community game and not a meme game. If you cant get along with strangers or anyone very well, maybe you should pick another hobby.

I ran into one last night. The cache is at least 15 foot in the air in a dormant tree, I simply stated that we did find it, (have the pic to prove it) and was not going to risk injury to sign the log. The CO flew off the handle in an email. She threatened me not to sign any logs of hers, her friends or anyone else's and that I need to find a new hobby. I woke up to 6 of my caches deleted unfairly. We even saved one Geocache she admitted to stealing when we found it ransacked....go figure. She stated the terrain was a 3.5 which is a tree climb. When you read the different terrains it should be a 5. She got mad at that too. But, to be threatened and my finds deleted unfairly, caused me to contact HQ. I understand some people take this very seriously, I respect that, but I am one who does take Geocaching out of enjoyment and fun and will not risk injury over it.

I ran into one last night. The cache is at least 15 foot in the air in a dormant tree, I simply stated that we did find it, (have the pic to prove it) and was not going to risk injury to sign the log.

I agree the CO could have explained it without going off in a rant, but, if you didn't sign the log, it's not a find.

She stated the terrain was a 3.5 which is a tree climb. When you read the different terrains it should be a 5.

Fifteen feet up a tree is not a T5 in many areas...T3.5 is actually about .5 high based upon my personal inability to grab most 3.5 climbs. I'm curious what is in the guidelines that brought you to the conclusion that tree climbs should be a T5.

I ran into one last night. The cache is at least 15 foot in the air in a dormant tree, I simply stated that we did find it, (have the pic to prove it) and was not going to risk injury to sign the log.

I agree the CO could have explained it without going off in a rant, but, if you didn't sign the log, it's not a find.

Agree with cerberus1, here. Locating a cache does not necessarily equate to "Finding" a cache.

A CO is allowed to delete a Find if there is evidence of the log not being signed, a photo of the cache still in place notwithstanding. Actually posting such a spoiler photo is frowned upon by most.

Sure, cache your way, but don't be surprised when somebody deletes a log because you hadn't conformed to the guidelines (even if it is "their" interpretation of those guidelines). Making an argument out of it, oftentimes results in retributive actions (as you noticed).

Nobody says you need to "Find" them all. Certainly not worth creating an enemy over it.... but that appears to be water under the bridge, at this point.

I understand if I didn't sign the log I didn't get the find. I didn't contest that.

When I did the terrain rating this is what I got: Your cache has been rated 5/4...BUT, with respect to the CO's rating, I was only expressing how I felt and wanted to give future geocachers a heads up. I know not everyone is in great shape and/or will be able to do this cache. We did attempt it, but just felt we needed more to help us get to it.

My main issue is the way she threatened me and deleted my previous logs over this.

I understand if I didn't sign the log I didn't get the find. I didn't contest that.

When I did the terrain rating this is what I got: Your cache has been rated 5/4...BUT, with respect to the CO's rating, I was only expressing how I felt and wanted to give future geocachers a heads up. I know not everyone is in great shape and/or will be able to do this cache. We did attempt it, but just felt we needed more to help us get to it.

My main issue is the way she threatened me and deleted my previous logs over this.

And I understand that. I'm not saying that the response you received wasn't over the top. I was focused, somewhat off-topically, on the rating.

Fifteen feet up a tree is not a T5 in many areas...T3.5 is actually about .5 high based upon my personal inability to grab most 3.5 climbs. I'm curious what is in the guidelines that brought you to the conclusion that tree climbs should be a T5.

That's the problem with D/T ratings - they're totally subjective.

The CO feels it's a 3.5, you think it should be a 3.0, the 'finder' thinks it should be a 5.

I'd agree that most tree climbs are a 3.0, since no special equipment is required.

We did a whole series of caches in another state where we have a lot of finds. Each cache in this series was rated a 5/5. Other than a long walk through tall grass, there wasn't anything that would rate a 5. I'd have given the terrain a 3 or 3.5 tops, but that's my subjective opinion.

Still, there's no excuse to come unhinged because of a log entry. If you're the CO, try to remember that it's just a game. If that doesn't work - delete the log and move on.

There *are* T 5.0 tree caches - but those require climbing equipment (ropes, etc.). I'm not clear whether this one could be reached by "free climbing" (no special equipment) or not.

To try to bring this back on topic, this disagreement shows that a loose canon CO is usually provoked by something. The CO may seriously overreact and probably did so here. I agree that logs serve a purpose in telling prospective finders what to expect. Criticism should be very diplomatic or non-existent - just state the facts. I appreciate the work of COs & try not to step on their toes. Even so, there will be occasional over-the-top COs although fortunately I haven't run into one.

I think what we experienced with the cache itself, is personal preference. We can climb trees, but just felt we needed further assistance to get to the cache.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and input. It helps me understand how others think on this subject.

I believe the bottom line is that you should not have claimed a find and the CO should not behave like a raging lunatic.

I was out caching today with a couple of friends when we came across a cache that wasn't in the greatest part of the town. We looked for a couple of minutes but gave up since GZ was at a thorn bush and the area was littered with trash and used condoms. I logged a DNF to warn future seekers that the area doesn't seem to be the safest place along with what I thought was a humorous note:

Pretty sketchy area, not sure why we would have been brought here. Hope a geocacher didn't do this damage looking for the cache

Cache with Pride!

IMG_20141116_105106368_zps182852f1.jpg

The log was very quickly deleted and a nasty email was sent to me about me being petty, disagreeable, off my meds, and that he doesn't appreciate my "crazy idiotic log" along with some other choice words and names.

After a lot of threats and name calling on his part he archived the cache with this message

Gonna take this one down, recent activity I was unaware of and a couple idiot cachers who can't seem to just tell me nicely its troubled but have to act like jerks trying to make this one seem like its Apocalypse Now redux...its jerks like this that make providing the caching community hides to find very tedious and I'm about done doing so after ...their childish logs.

Anyone else have encounters with crazy CO's?

I posted a DNF on a cache that was in a very bad area, next to a dumpster of all things, that may have been in some bushes the were filled with used syringes and live shotgun shells and pistol ammunition. Not only did I let the cache owner know in my post I also called the local police re. the live ammo. I think the owner archived it.