Crazy CO's

I was out caching today with a couple of friends when we came across a cache that wasn't in the greatest part of the town. We looked for a couple of minutes but gave up since GZ was at a thorn bush and the area was littered with trash and used condoms. I logged a DNF to warn future seekers that the area doesn't seem to be the safest place along with what I thought was a humorous note:

Pretty sketchy area, not sure why we would have been brought here. Hope a geocacher didn't do this damage looking for the cache

Cache with Pride!

IMG_20141116_105106368_zps182852f1.jpg

The log was very quickly deleted and a nasty email was sent to me about me being petty, disagreeable, off my meds, and that he doesn't appreciate my "crazy idiotic log" along with some other choice words and names.

After a lot of threats and name calling on his part he archived the cache with this message

Gonna take this one down, recent activity I was unaware of and a couple idiot cachers who can't seem to just tell me nicely its troubled but have to act like jerks trying to make this one seem like its Apocalypse Now redux...its jerks like this that make providing the caching community hides to find very tedious and I'm about done doing so after ...their childish logs.

Anyone else have encounters with crazy CO's?

Edited by Cascade Reviewer
Removed innapropriate language within quote

Some CO's are notoriously proud of their cache and don't like any negative logs. No matter how you word it, a CO will think your log pointing out problems with the site are actually being critical of him for selecting the site.

Some people would have first emailed the cache owner privately to point out the issue so at least the owner doesn't feel his faults are being exposed to the world.

Not that I remember.

But as a CO who may or may not be crazy, if a cache I owned had been one of a number of caches that received the same negative, strange cut-and-paste log from a somebody who found a bunch of nearby caches on a given day, I'm pretty sure I'd at least be wondering whether the log actually was meant for my cache, or if it was a log intended for somebody else's cache, or if the cacher was just having a bad day.

My opinion is that unless the cache is not placed with permission, I don't care about the location. Theres nothing saying you have to find every cache- if you don't feel comfortable lookng for a cache, the don't. But there are people who have no problems climbing mountains, or in your care being in a bad part of town.

Not that I remember.

But as a CO who may or may not be crazy, if a cache I owned had been one of a number of caches that received the same negative, strange cut-and-paste log from a somebody who found a bunch of nearby caches on a given day, I'm pretty sure I'd at least be wondering whether the log actually was meant for my cache, or if it was a log intended for somebody else's cache, or if the cacher was just having a bad day.

Are you saying the OP left some copy and paste logs today? I'd say not really. And I was in that area once, and had one of those Earthcaches on my hit list, but never got around to doing it. Hmmm. Tough call here. I'm notorious for doing "research" on every cache I ever go for, but I do occasionally come across clunkers. One "urban" cache outside of my home area (which was a puzzle) where I encountered a homeless camp, and an almost impossible to cross without damaging a City planted flower bed comes to mind, and I would suppose you could say I spoke my mind on the matter in my DNF log. Ultimately, I would say most CO's don't like their cache being criticized in the logs. Contacting the CO privately? I don't know, I suppose you're not going to warn future cachers if you do that, especially if the CO gets all defensive and stuff.

I notice you gave that angry CO a good picture of your caching partner in that reflection :) Yeah, people need to realize that when they put out any kind of positive effort, meaning that they're making something and presenting it to the public for an ostensibly good purpose, that they stand a very good chance of getting criticized. This is true for business endeavors, volunteer work, and all kinds of things. They need to be able to stoically decide whether or not the criticism has merit. If it does, then fix the problem, or learn from it. If the criticism is baseless, then it doesn't really matter, unless it becomes a kind of negative spam. People who react very badly to criticism should reconsider cache ownership, because it's not the sort of thing you want to get into at all if you can't take it.

Around here, Youngstown, we have the occasional issue of new cachers coming along, wanting to hide a cache. They notice that their are some neighborhoods that do not have caches so they rush out and hide a few caches in the nearby park. They never take into account that maybe those areas are empty for a reason. Not much of an issue though. If they are not archived after the local FTF hounds report the problems they tend to wonder off and stop caching which results in them being archived after some time. The big problem is that when people from outside the area come into town and go for these caches not knowing what they are in for at GZ.

My opinion is that unless the cache is not placed with permission, I don't care about the location. Theres nothing saying you have to find every cache- if you don't feel comfortable lookng for a cache, the don't. But there are people who have no problems climbing mountains, or in your care being in a bad part of town.

Location is very important to me, especially if I am not from the area I would like to know why I might or might not want to go there. And what people say about the location is more interesting to me than what people say about a container.

I have done caching in "sketchy" areas. It can sometimes be an interesting area where street art, graffiti, tags, and abandoned places can be found - or at least the other side of the city. Some CO's warn visitors not to go to certain areas at night, and I have read logs that comment on homeless camps, trash, and other such things. So I did not see anything particularly offensive in the DNF log quoted.

Still, people can be rather sensitive - whether it is someone taking offense at a cacher wondering why a cache was placed in a particular location or a cacher who is in turn called a jerk. If I archived a cache I would not call anyone a jerk. And if a CO archived a cache because they took offense at the log, I would think that the problem was addressed and ignore any other container hidden by the same person.

Edited by geodarts

Meh....abandoned gas station adjacent to a church. Not exactly the worst part of town IMO.

I used to have several caches in the decommissioned Army base near where I live, and it was definitely sketchier than what I'm seeing on the maps and street view for the cache you're describing.

Just an observation/opinion:

Hope a geocacher didn't do this damage looking for the cache

Along with the posted picture, it doesn't come across as all that humorous to me to insinuate that some cacher was responsible for the vandalism seen in the posted picture. I'm guessing that's what set off the cache owner and provoked them to post the log entry and Archive the Listing. My take away opinion on the subject?

1. The cache owner is a bit sensitive to criticism, but giving the benefit of the doubt, and based on the "recent activity" they mentioned, didn't want have their cache associated with recent vandalism.

2. On the part of the OP, it's really difficult to express "humor" in an online log. I would probably have just stuck to the facts in my log, and described the situation without the need to make it sound "funny" (which it isn't).

The log was very quickly deleted and a nasty email was sent to me about me being petty, disagreeable, off my meds, and that he doesn't appreciate my "crazy idiotic log" along with some other choice words and names.

Report abusive correspondence to Groundspeak and NEVER let people you don't know have your email address - always go through the Groundspeak mail system to communicate with cachers who aren't personal friends.

This is a total overreaction - you're obviously not the one who is petty, disagreeable, or off your meds. The insults these people choose to use are telling. I've learned that with the unhinged cachers, it's best to keep your distance. I generally don't find or otherwise acknowledge hides from the two or three crazies in my area.

I think the important observation here is that you really have no idea what set this CO off. Labeling him as crazy is not helpful. If the cache were still in place, you might have legitimate concerns, but since it's been archived, I suggest you move on. And perhaps be a little more sympathetic in the future even when you're facing someone that's overreacting. That's not saying overreacting is OK, just that overreacting doesn't make someone a fundamentally bad person.

It's seems possible that the geocache was placed there for the intent to give an excuse to be somewhere that most people shouldn't be. Since entrance to the building was only a few feet away, an innocent geocache could gauge whether or not lingering people in the area would be noticed or questioned. The next step would be to go inside and if asked, explain the game and use the game piece, the logsheet, as well as the app, to show that plenty of others have done the same thing, albeit innocently.

But then you blurt out what possibly happened (as a joke) and what most people wouldnt mention in the logs, and the CO thinks OH, $&@#!!! and archives it and blames you. Overreaction very well could be him protecting something that he doesn't want to be mentioned. I can't see someone having too much pride over a location like that.

Like i always had said, being a CO isnt for everyone. This one of those that shouldn't be a CO.

As a CO myself, I take the bad with the good. If you write a negative log on my caches, its going to stay there so people know what kind of cacher you are. ;)

I have a film pot cache placed in our local wallyworld parking lot. Don't want to give too much away but i will say that those "skirts" do lift up. If i do say so myself, it's an awesome cache. It gets lots of cool blank logs and tftcs but for some reason, it's also gotten a few logs stating how lame it is. I reallize these cachers are totally off base so like you, i've left their logs so others can see how goofy these cachers really are. :rolleyes::unsure::P

Seriously though, some people don't handle criticism very well. I tend not to be too negative with my logs because it probably does more harm than good. On the otherhand, cachers who do know me, know what i think of caches by how long my online logs are. If it's really short, well, you know. ;)

Gonna take this one down, recent activity I was unaware of and a couple idiot cachers who can't seem to just tell me nicely its troubled but have to act like jerks trying to make this one seem like its Apocalypse Now redux...its jerks like this that make providing the caching community hides to find very tedious and I'm about done doing so after ...their childish logs.

Sounds to me like old dude needs to lighten-up.

Wow, looks like you ran into a real nasty cache owner. :blink: Judging from his log where he found his own cache before archiving it, I can imagine the PM he sent you. :( Just not what I would expect from someone that is not new to this social game of geocaching. Maybe you should have just reported his abusive email and not brought it here to the forums? :laughing:

So will you be attending his next event? :lol:

Wow, looks like you ran into a real nasty cache owner. :blink: Judging from his log where he found his own cache before archiving it, I can imagine the PM he sent you. :(

This cache owner logs a find for his own cache every time he does maintenance, logs a note, or archives a cache. I've never understood that. I get notifications for caches in that area, and I see him do that all the time.

--Larry

I was out caching today ...

There is always a nice way to deal with issues, and a a** h*13 way to deal with issues. Unfortunatly, you chose the latter. You wonder why the CO responded so negatively? Just read your post again, but imagine that you were the CO.

I reallise that after a bad cacheing experience, it is easy to let fly with criticism. I have done it a time or two myself. But we should try to use restraint, and be tactfull.

There is always a nice way to deal with issues, and a a** h*13 way to deal with issues. Unfortunatly, you chose the latter. You wonder why the CO responded so negatively? Just read your post again, but imagine that you were the CO.

I reallise that after a bad cacheing experience, it is easy to let fly with criticism. I have done it a time or two myself. But we should try to use restraint, and be tactfull.

I went back and read it again and still don't see why that log would have received such a reaction. Doesn't seem too negative to me...I see no reason why the OP shouldn't be able to question why a cache was placed in a particular location. We should all be willing to question such things for the betterment of the game.

As for the CO...way out of line. If you found the cache, you should log a find...though this time just say "Thanks" or something completely innocuous. If it gets deleted, you should email the CO and threaten to escalate the issue with Groundspeak and post a find again. There's no call for that sort of treatment.

We had a local cacher who was psycho. He hid a bunch of trash type caches that were made from flimsy containers in really lame locations. The containers were always falling apart from the weather and use and were being removed by muggles because they were often visible to anyone walking by. If you mentioned in a log anything like the log was wet or the container was falling apart and needed maintenance he would send a PM full of swear words, call into question your parentage, and tell you to commit a certain act with yourself. I ran into him one time on a cache hunt and it was very obvious the guy was truly nuts. He had 2 kids with him who looked like they were his kids and they were just as weird. He finally archived all his caches saying he was tired of other cachers being rude to him and posting insulting comments in their logs. I went thru all his caches and read the logs. Only thing 'rude' (in his opinion) were logs mentioning his caches needed maintenance and giving a reason why. When he archived his caches in 2011 he wrote he was quitting caching because of the rude people and it doesn't appear he's logged on since. No loss to the caching world.

I went back and read it again and still don't see why that log would have received such a reaction. Doesn't seem too negative to me...I see no reason why the OP shouldn't be able to question why a cache was placed in a particular location. We should all be willing to question such things for the betterment of the game.

As for the CO...way out of line. If you found the cache, you should log a find...though this time just say "Thanks" or something completely innocuous. If it gets deleted, you should email the CO and threaten to escalate the issue with Groundspeak and post a find again. There's no call for that sort of treatment.

Same here. Even if it's a little on the negative side, I don't see how anyone could actually defend the crazy reaction by the CO.

This same CO went crazy when I logged a NM on a cache that was off by 150 ft. I don't want to deal with him anymore, but I don't want to have to avoid a large area of caching just because of one person. Does anyone know of a way to add caches to my ignore list based on CO? This guy has more than 100 caches out there and I really don't want to have to go through and add each individual cache to the list.

This same CO went crazy when I logged a NM on a cache that was off by 150 ft. I don't want to deal with him anymore, but I don't want to have to avoid a large area of caching just because of one person. Does anyone know of a way to add caches to my ignore list based on CO? This guy has more than 100 caches out there and I really don't want to have to go through and add each individual cache to the list.

I so wish an ignore caches by user feature existed, but it don't. :laughing:

I would not let this CO hinder me from posting my logs on their listings accordingly. :ph34r: Play the game, don't game the player. :anitongue:

You don't have to "deal with" anyone, really. Just find the caches and post innocuous "thank you" logs. Save any commentary for the COs with thicker skin and a sense of humor.

You don't have to "deal with" anyone, really. Just find the caches and post innocuous "thank you" logs. Save any commentary for the COs with thicker skin and a sense of humor.

People used to nag me because I only used TFTC, DNF, ect. Now after having another local geocacher post his bullying on one of my cache pages (which they later deleted) I keep my logs basic with this group of elitist. I understand how the OP feels when a CO has 150+ cache hides in a small area and is the anti-social/rude type.

Just something I picked-up back in my youth that doesn't necessarily pertain to this particular situation...when you refer to an area as "sketchy" in a crowd of people with whom you are unfamiliar, you could very well be referring to someone's neighborhood. I see absolutely no reason to feel compelled to warn other cachers about sketchiness of the area. We have driven to GZ many times and were able to determine our own comfort level with continuing the search.

There are a couple of select cache owners in my general area who either 1) make it a point to hide caches which I actively dislike looking for, and therefore will not bother looking for, or 2) are sufficiently cranky or over-sensitive that I simply prefer not to deal with them. In these cases, I don't want their caches cluttering the data I load into my GPSr.

I see no reason to "just find" any cache I wouldn't enjoy finding. I'm a big fan of the Ignore List.

--Larry

Just something I picked-up back in my youth that doesn't necessarily pertain to this particular situation...when you refer to an area as "sketchy" in a crowd of people with whom you are unfamiliar, you could very well be referring to someone's neighborhood. I see absolutely no reason to feel compelled to warn other cachers about sketchiness of the area. We have driven to GZ many times and were able to determine our own comfort level with continuing the search.

People are comfortable and familiar in their own neighborhood, and likely will not notice how sketchy it is. I don't think anyone should feel reluctant to mention how sketchy an area is, as others will welcome the warning. If they think there might be a backlash, they should post the log without the mention after a few others have posted, and just edit it afterwards. The CO will likely never notice.

We have placed some caches in sketchy areas but try to make it clear on the description.
I've found a couple sketchy caches, but not many people actually bothered to sketch anything.

SICNR

I have! Last year, I logged an old, rarely found cache in the mountains. One page in the logbook had a very detailed drawing of the male appendage. Impressive art skills. :o

Edited by hydnsek

I've exchanged PMs with the CO to "make peace" on this one but found his reaction to my daring to climb a tree and question the lack of a hint, slightly excessive:

The last log was certainly an annoying one to receive and such things never help when received when driving home after a long caching trip.

The cache listing clearly says the containment is fragile and cannot be replaced together with the invite to avail yourself of all the information you may need through Geocheck.

Certainly irritating to read that statement I can't find a fragile container so I'll risk climbing all over it.

I'm dumbstruck by modern caching attitudes but guess we just have to contain our venom and carry on.

Container was still there.

It has now been relocated slightly, safely away from any idiotic climbing activities and a more secure tether placed but it does mean it's less accessible than it was. Sorry folks you know who to blame.

Game on so who will be the 24th finder?

Oxford Stone

Premium Member

Didn't find it

26/10/2014

No luck. Micro and no hint in that sort of environment - seriously?

Consoled myself with a gratuitous tree climb at what seemed to be GZ. Probably within touching distance of the cache?

GrandPotentateOfA51N: do not hesitate to contact your local volunteer reviewer or Groundspeak support to unarchive (and lock) your deleted DNF log on that cache. It's part of your caching history and there is nothing wrong with that log or the attached photo.

I've added the bold to the text below, which is what you'll get from the Help Center (http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request) if you contact them about

16. Geocacher Disagreement - Log Deletion

Geocache Log deletion: If your "Found it" log on a geocache details page has been deleted because the geocache owner disagreed with your comments, be the bigger person, repost a neutral log without the commentary. If you have feedback that may be beneficial, you can respectfully contact the geocache owner privately.

Geocaching HQ can only reinstate "Found It" and "Attended" logs on geocache listings. Before sending us a request, please double check that your log is not in violation of our Terms of Use and review our Logging Guidelines: ....

The cache listing clearly says the containment is fragile and cannot be replaced together with the invite to avail yourself of all the information you may need through Geocheck..

I'm trying to decipher this sentence...it may "clearly say" that, but what it says is by no means "clear". <_<

Edited by J Grouchy

A somewhat negative, but not at all 'nasty' log posted on one of our caches is probably my personal favorite as a CO.

In the end, it's still just a game.

I'd have went ballistic if a log like that came in on one of my caches,, NOT! But i do kinda disagree with the cacher in that i'd much rather be neck deep in that muddy swamp than pulling buried ticks from under my skin. :lol:

Sounds like a fun and challenging cache you have there. I see that cacher went back and found it,,, COOL! B)

Hide a new cache in the same location and dedicate it to previous cache's owner and cite the above in the description.

Hide a new cache in the same location and dedicate it to previous cache's owner and cite the above in the description.

My take on that particular example is that the CO knew it was a bad location, was embarassed when he was called out on it, so he took it down and then blamed the finder to deflect attention from his own poor decision to put it there.

If the OP wondered about why a cache was placed in that location, I don't think that it needs a new container. Sometimes it is best not to try to get the last word. Or as I tell some of my clients, pick your battle carefully.

This is a total overreaction - you're obviously not the one who is petty, disagreeable, or off your meds. The insults these people choose to use are telling. I've learned that with the unhinged cachers, it's best to keep your distance. I generally don't find or otherwise acknowledge hides from the two or three crazies in my area.

I think both over reacted. assigning "levels" of sin only applies to violent sin. This petty stuff is all at the same level. The log was lame and the CO reaction was lame.

I think both over reacted. assigning "levels" of sin only applies to violent sin. This petty stuff is all at the same level. The log was lame and the CO reaction was lame.

+1

Not too certain about what could be conceived as "lame" about the log.

Pretty sketchy area, not sure why we would have been brought here. Hope a geocacher didn't do this damage looking for the cache

Cache with Pride!

Seems rather honest, straightforward and bland. Not something I could imagine anyone getting stirred up over.

Cache with Pride!

Seems rather honest, straightforward and bland. Not something I could imagine anyone getting stirred up over.

There are those among us who are just waiting to be offended.