New to it all and not sure where to go from here

Hi! My wife and I got the intro app and have been learning all about geocaching. It's really been a lot of fun for our family! I'm a little uncertain where to go from here though and I was hoping some of you might be able to help me out.

If I subscribe to this site, what additional perks does that get me?

If I get the paid app, what does that do for me?

Are these independent things or do you need to buy both the app AND the Premium because they work together?

Thanks!

Hi! My wife and I got the intro app and have been learning all about geocaching. It's really been a lot of fun for our family! I'm a little uncertain where to go from here though and I was hoping some of you might be able to help me out.

Are these independent things or do you need to buy both the app AND the Premium because they work together?

Thanks!

Good questions... more beginners need to ask (before doing). :)

1] If you subscribe (Premium Membership), it does little for you while using the Intro-app.

Although it (the Intro-app) is continually changing (being expanded), it is still intended for beginner use. Premium Membership has little, if any effect in use of the Intro-app.

2] The (paid) Pro-app, does everything except for Premium Member Only (PMO) caches.

Depending on your area, PMO caches may be plentiful, usually not though. I did catch one area in the UK that was unbelievably laden with PMO caches -- there may be others.

3] The Pro-app is a item which you pay for in a one-time shot.

The Premium Membership is a subscription (not an item), which has a recurring fee for that membership. Think of it as "dues" for that membership. You may use one or the other -- or both.

PM provides you with other bennies: Pocket Queries (use them for caching while off-line with the phone), Instant Notifications (new caches published), making/using lists, etc.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Help Center - Premium Membership

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=5

Help Center - Apps

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

Help Center - Apps

3. Geocaching with Android

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=47

Help Center - Apps

4. Geocaching with Android Intro

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=101

4.2. What is the difference between the Geocaching Intro app for Android, the Pro app, and Geocaching Premium?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=504

The Premium Membership and any app are completely different items.

Whether you want to spend money on any of them depends on how much you like geocaching.

Once you've read up on all that is involved, then you can make a decision.

B.

Thanks for all of the information! I'll share this with my wife and see what she thinks. From what I can gather so far, Premium membership is increasing my content while the Paid app is adding various functions. I don't really see the value of the added functions, but maybe I just don't understand them well enough yet. The extra content.... hmmm. I already have a LOT of content for my area. I'm curious as to how much extra content there could be. :) Looks like we have a lot of research ahead of us...

Thanks for all of the information! I'll share this with my wife and see what she thinks. From what I can gather so far, Premium membership is increasing my content while the Paid app is adding various functions. I don't really see the value of the added functions, but maybe I just don't understand them well enough yet. The extra content.... hmmm. I already have a LOT of content for my area. I'm curious as to how much extra content there could be. :) Looks like we have a lot of research ahead of us...

My advice?

Get the paid-for app.

You get more caches and cache types (not just the nearest three easiest traditional caches)

It's a one-off payment.

Premium Membership will show ALL traditional caches... But you will be missing LOTS of other caches!

Premium Membership is a regular payment, 3 monthly or yearly.

Unless you are in an area with lots of Premium Member Only caches, you may need feel the need to be a Premium Member.

IF you 'upgrade' via the app, MAKE SURE you get the 'upgrade app' and NOT 'upgrade membership'

Also, be aware, Premium Membership DOES NOT get you the paid for app as part of the deal.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I would get the paid app first. It will do everything you need and show you all the caches, except for the ones designated Premium Member Only. As already pointed out, this may be only a very small percentage of the available caches in your area (or it could be quite a lot...depends on the area. Usually not though)

Cache along merrily for awhile with the pro app and meanwhile read up on the benefits of Premium membership. Eventually there will come a day when you'll be caching out in the boonies somewhere and realize you have no cell signal. You will no longer be able to search for nearby caches. You'll think, I wish there was a way to just save a whole boatload of caches in the app so that I can cache when I don't have a cell signal (because the GPS in your device will still work without a data signal, in case you didn't know). Then you'll discover the value of Pocket Queries, one of the primary benefits of Premium membership.

There also Instant Notifications (to alert you as soon as a new cache is published in your area), Bookmark Lists (the ability to create personal lists of caches for whatever reason), and a few others.

Start with the paid app. Learn about the features of PM. When it is time for you to upgrade, you'll know :)