New Attribute - PWT

sadmanwholikesblues

I would like to ask you for implementing a new attribute - PWT. It should be used for the powertrails. I have to say that generally I do not enjoy this type of geocaches so I could use this new attribute to filter them out easily. From the Czech geocaching forum I know that I'm not the only one who would appreciate this feature but many geocachers like the idea.

Thank you for reply and considering this request.

Do you really believe, power trails owners would care to set that attribute? They think they are soooo cool and everyone should be sooo grateful for them for placing 100 micros in the forest.

Reviewers generally don't care about attributes, size settings and D/T ranking, at least that's the answer I've got from them...

Do you really believe, power trails owners would care to set that attribute? They think they are soooo cool and everyone should be sooo grateful for them for placing 100 micros in the forest.

Some people might be attracted by the attribute. Some people like power trails.

(Not me. But each to his own.)

Attributes work both ways. But having said that, I'm not really seeing much of a case for this one.

Reviewers generally don't care about attributes, size settings and D/T ranking, at least that's the answer I've got from them...

IMO implementing a new attribute is not a big problem and adding it to a listing as well. I believe that at least some owners of PTW caches would use it (leastwise just to show how "great" they are that they scattered hundreds of caches along roads).

Reviewers generally don't care about attributes

One of my reviewers does and reminded me to pick attributes when submitting a cache. Attributes are extremely useful for me. When creating a PQ I usually have a few standards that I always use: tree climbing - NO; may require wading/swimming - NO; difficult climbing - NO; dangerous area - NO; UV light required - NO; needs maintenance - NO

Regarding PWT - yes. It would be extremely useful. I would use the PWT - NO option.

And the definition of a PWT would be the old definition that the reviewers used before the flood gates were open.

There will be a lot of pressure on a PWT cache owner/group to include a PWT attribute. I'm confident that a PWT attribute would get used.

Edited by L0ne.R
Do you really believe, power trails owners would care to set that attribute?
I do. Many owners of numbers run trails already set one or more attributes for all the caches in their numbers run trail.

Of course, since there is no attribute for this kind of cache, they're "forced" to (ab)use other attributes, like the Scuba attribute.

Of course, since there is no attribute for this kind of cache, they're "forced" to (ab)use other attributes, like the Scuba attribute.

Oh, I haven't known that.

It seems to be heavy abuse, because it enables to easily get the Scuba attribute in the collection (for the challenges etc.).

It seems to be heavy abuse, because it enables to easily get the Scuba attribute in the collection (for the challenges etc.).
Perhaps. More significantly, it can make it a little harder for people interested in real Scuba caches to find them. Scuba caches are relatively rare, and as I understand it, fans will travel significant distances to search for them. Identifying them gets a little harder when your PQs for Scuba caches get filled up with fungible film canisters along a rural highway.

I was just trying to locate some SCUBA caches and was getting all kinds of crazy results. After reading this thread I know why. Is there an easier way to locate the true SCUBA caches if Power Trails use this attribute? I can't believe there isn't a PT attribute since they seem to be pervasive now! What good are the attributes if they are used indiscriminately? Is this PT attribute on a serious Wish List (so they can keep their paws off the SCUBA attribute)?? What if they decided to use the Wheelchair or Night Only attribute? That wouldn't be okay, either -- but might get action a little quicker!

I was just trying to locate some SCUBA caches and was getting all kinds of crazy results. After reading this thread I know why. Is there an easier way to locate the true SCUBA caches if Power Trails use this attribute? I can't believe there isn't a PT attribute since they seem to be pervasive now! What good are the attributes if they are used indiscriminately? Is this PT attribute on a serious Wish List (so they can keep their paws off the SCUBA attribute)?? What if they decided to use the Wheelchair or Night Only attribute? That wouldn't be okay, either -- but might get action a little quicker!

The night caches are more common, so more people would have the problem you do.

Easy way to differ power trails from true scuba caches? Scuba caches are likely to be in water. And every powertrail I've seen is numbered- Buzzsaw #25 is likely to be a powertrail. Into the deep, or shipwreck would be a scuba. It's not perfect but it's an option.

Is there an easier way to locate the true SCUBA caches if Power Trails use this attribute?
Most true SCUBA caches are going to have a fairly high terrain rating. Most numbers run trails use T1.5 or similar because they're all basically PNG caches.

That's true but it's still a misuse of the attribute. Perhaps some day we'll be able filter notifications using attributes. Being able to include/exclude power trails from a search or pocket query using a "real" attribute would be nice, but that doesn't prevent hundreds of email messages, one for each cache in a PT, filling up mailboxes for those that have no interest in doing power trails. Adding a PWT attribute and the ability to filter notifications with an attribute (and how about filtering by cache owner as well?) would stop a lot of unnecessary email. I'm pretty user that GSAK doesn't already fix this as well dry.gif.