How to upload caches to Garmin Oregon 650

Brubalang

Well, you could drop some caches onto it... that should do it well.

Seriously, we don't know what you did try... even though you say "No matter what I do".

If you don't have a (full) manual, download it from here .

Now... beings as how Garmin promotes its own brand of geocaching, the manual really lacks information regarding loading caches from geocaching.com -- I'm not going to go into why. You can try that site if you want, but you will probably be disappointed.

Have you downloaded the Garmin Communicator? Do it from here .

Not being a Premium Member, you cannot load caches in bulk (Pocket Queries). Did you get the free trial Premium Membership offer with the unit? You should have.

Simply put --

1] Download and install the Garmin Communicator to your computer;

2} Plug GPSr into computer using the USB cable;

3] Turn on GPSr and allow the computer to recognize it;

4] Select a cache (page) and use the "Send to GPS" button to transfer the coordinates, etc. to the unit;

5] Repeat this process for each and every cache that you wish to load;

6] Shut down the GPSr;

7] Unplug it from the computer and go geocaching.

I said "Simply put" because it is simple... too simple. You are most certainly going to run into a problem or two doing that.

There may be recognition problems -- computer with the Communicator; browser with the Communicator; etc. If so, return to these forums with the STEPS THAT YOU HAVE DONE as well as computer and browser information.

There is no idiot proof instructions per se, as each computer, browser, Communicator and GPSr pretty much have minds of their own. Knowing what you have or haven't done will help us help you.

A broad-reaching question as you posted does little to help. It leaves us who want to help guessing just what you know or have/haven't done or tried... and that ain't fun!

There's some basic info in the Garmin Oregon Wiki, where I learned how to load the GPSr. Do you already have the GPX files (the cache info), and need info on where to place them? Or are you having problems getting the files?

I had to make some adjustments to my web browser, in order for the "Send to My GPS" button to function. If "Send to My GPS" is your issue, you may have some luck using Firefox. That works for me without any special settings, in Win7 and Win8.

BTW, you really want to download geocaches to your GPSr. It's not like the terms "up town" and "down town" that essentially mean the same thing. Uploading is when you send something from a device or personal PC to a larger server. You upload photos from your PC to PhotoBucket, and you download other stuff (PDFs, geocaches) from web sites to your PC or device.

Well, you could drop some caches onto it... that should do it well.

Seriously, we don't know what you did try... even though you say "No matter what I do".

If you don't have a (full) manual, download it from here .

Now... beings as how Garmin promotes its own brand of geocaching, the manual really lacks information regarding loading caches from geocaching.com -- I'm not going to go into why. You can try that site if you want, but you will probably be disappointed.

Have you downloaded the Garmin Communicator? Do it from here .

Not being a Premium Member, you cannot load caches in bulk (Pocket Queries). Did you get the free trial Premium Membership offer with the unit? You should have.

Simply put --

1] Download and install the Garmin Communicator to your computer;

2} Plug GPSr into computer using the USB cable;

3] Turn on GPSr and allow the computer to recognize it;

4] Select a cache (page) and use the "Send to GPS" button to transfer the coordinates, etc. to the unit;

5] Repeat this process for each and every cache that you wish to load;

6] Shut down the GPSr;

7] Unplug it from the computer and go geocaching.

I said "Simply put" because it is simple... too simple. You are most certainly going to run into a problem or two doing that.

There may be recognition problems -- computer with the Communicator; browser with the Communicator; etc. If so, return to these forums with the STEPS THAT YOU HAVE DONE as well as computer and browser information.

There is no idiot proof instructions per se, as each computer, browser, Communicator and GPSr pretty much have minds of their own. Knowing what you have or haven't done will help us help you.

A broad-reaching question as you posted does little to help. It leaves us who want to help guessing just what you know or have/haven't done or tried... and that ain't fun!

Hello,

Thanks for your earlier reply. I have been in some areas of NSW bush where there is no phone or computer contact. Sorry if my request was not descriptive of my actual attempts to download caches. Since your message I have become a premium member and I hope that this makes the process easier. I am thinking that the instructions you gave me do not apply to premium membership and therefore am asking if there is something I should now do that is different?

In addition, you initially suggested that I should:

"4] Select a cache (page) and use the "Send to GPS" button to transfer the coordinates, etc. to the unit;"

My ignorance is such that I do not know how to find and select a cache(page) and would be grateful if you could inform me.

Thanks in anticipation.