Camo tape

GeekKitty

The stuff that sticks to itself is crap. Also spray paint is cheaper when you consider the area covered. Plus paint can get in all those tiny areas, and you can use a more suitable colour. Green and black Camo doesn't work so well in a tan enviroment. But if you want to use tape- my suggestion is a real tree or mossy oak, or similar. It works good on wooded areas. I like the gorilla tape stuff, and it seems to last longer than the digicam style from the Duck Tape brand.

Looks like paint gets the vote. In which case, can anyone recommend a good spray paint that sticks to plastic well, and lasts properly when out in the elements? Ideally something I can buy online.

Julia

Krylon. They have ultra flat paint in camo colours. Black, greens, tans, browns. That takes care of the basic camo. I've also used white, gold, clear coats, orange. If you want to get really creative they have textured paint. It's basically limited to what you can do, not what it can do.

Basic camo pattern: cover container with a coat or two in a light colour (we'll say tan) let it dry. Take some masking tape and put stripes with the tape- for a tru camo rip the sides so it's jagged not straight. Then spray with a darker colour. Brown for example. Then if you want to another darker colour- black. Take all the tape off and bam, camo pattern.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Krylon. They have ultra flat paint in camo colours. Black, greens, tans, browns. That takes care of the basic camo. I've also used white, gold, clear coats, orange. If you want to get really creative they have textured paint. It's basically limited to what you can do, not what it can do.

Basic camo pattern: cover container with a coat or two in a light colour (we'll say tan) let it dry. Take some masking tape and put stripes with the tape- for a tru camo rip the sides so it's jagged not straight. Then spray with a darker colour. Brown for example. Then if you want to another darker colour- black. Take all the tape off and bam, camo pattern.

Excellent, have tracked down a UK supplier. When I first googled I was getting only US results. Am thinking I may get a tin of tan and a tin of brown, and use them as you suggest to get camo effects. Browns seem to be most suitable for the forest floor. Don't think I can justify investing in 3 colours.

Cheers.

J

Excellent, have tracked down a UK supplier. When I first googled I was getting only US results. Am thinking I may get a tin of tan and a tin of brown, and use them as you suggest to get camo effects. Browns seem to be most suitable for the forest floor. Don't think I can justify investing in 3 colours.

Cheers.

J

You're in the UK? Not sure what you'd pay but think of this. In Canada a can of paint is $6-$10. A roll of tape is $4-$6. The paint will do several caches, (LnL's) and tape will do 2 maybe three. Doing three colours is more of a time investment than cost, but it's up to you.

Just as an example, here's one of my first attempts. Remember do lighter colours, then darker. Anything you cover up with tape will remain that colour, kinda like an easter egg. 60466ccf-563f-4176-8d96-8234d85e6528.jpg

Many of the butyl tapes (sticks to itself after stretching) just peel of plastic containers.

Good for a JIC bumper for axes and sledgehammers...

I use paint made for plastics.

Looks like paint gets the vote. In which case, can anyone recommend a good spray paint that sticks to plastic well, and lasts properly when out in the elements? Ideally something I can buy online.

Julia

That underlined word "paint" is a link...

Good prep helps before painting. I lightly sand my plastic containers, dust off well and the paint sticks.

In all honesty I sometimes do, sometimes don't. Some containers need no prep, and are still like new after a year or two with the wind, rain, snow, dust, and cows. Others don't last a year before the paint is gone. I've never had a prepped object lose the paint except once. Lesson- when it's below freezing, don't paint outside. It won't hurt to prep- It's more investment in time than money. When I prep I usually do it enough to scratch the plastic, or take the colour off the object.

Good prep helps before painting. I lightly sand my plastic containers, dust off well and the paint sticks.

+1 for prepping. Also matching the paint type to the container material really helps.

I've personally not had much luck with finding paint that sticks directly to plastic for any length of time outdoors, but have had more success covering containers with a fabric-based camo tape, and then painting that a different colour. The (woodland coloured) camo tape sticks well (sorry, I got it at an event and don't know the original supplier), but isn't always the colouring I want. Also it tends to rot away after a while. Painting it seems to be a happy compromise to get the colour I want, give the paint something it can stick to, and protect the tape from rotting.

I've personally not had much luck with finding paint that sticks directly to plastic for any length of time outdoors, but have had more success covering containers with a fabric-based camo tape, and then painting that a different colour.

Again- lots of people swear by Krylon. The camo colours (and fusion line) have stuck to everything I've used it on. And again I'm talking a year or more. Have you personally tried the Krylon camo?

Prep your container then base paint it using tamiya model paint, it's designed for plastics. Then grab a leaf or two or three when base paint is dry 24 hours or so place the leaves on the container spray with your secondary colour life leaves off while paint is wet and you will leave a leaf impression, leave to dry then hard coat it with model Matt varnish this will last for ages. A tin of paint will do maybe 6 containers and the hard coat the same. All materials easily bought online. You can even add some flock then upvc it all then hard coat just adds a little personal touch.

Then grab a leaf or two or three when base paint is dry 24 hours or so place the leaves on the container spray with your secondary colour life leaves off while paint is wet and you will leave a leaf impression, leave to dry then hard coat it with model Matt varnish this will last for ages.

I really like this suggestion. I don't think I've ever seen it employed on any of the caches that I've found, but it seems like it would create an amazing cammo.

+1 for all the paint suggestions. I used cammo tape for the longest time, but switched over to paint earlier this year and have really been pleased with the results.