35mm alternatives

GeekKitty

Almost anything is more waterproof than a film canister. Others will comment on specifics, but there is another possibility. If the container is not perfect, it can still be okay if it is in a totally sheltered location.

I thought it was. It's in the ivy in the fork of a tree. Apparently not as sheltered as I had hoped. Hence looking at alternatives.

I have 15ml and 30ml sample tubes, but I as they are so light coloured, I am concerned they might not blend into the ivy as well as the film canister did.

I'm don't want to invest too much in the container in case it gets muggled.

Ideas and thoughts welcome.

Julia

Are the pill containers (the ones that look a bit like a bison container) any good as a cache container?

9.jpg

Do they have the longevity we like in a cache container? I'm wondering if the O ring will degrade and then it would become non waterproof?

J

Most of the bison tube containers I've found had damp or wet logs and often tattered logs. It's hard to get them out of the bison tube and it's harder to roll them scrolled up tight enough to put back, especially when they are damp and tattered. . They are annoying to find if they're needle-in-a-haystack hides, which I think a bison in ivy would be unless there's an explicit hint.

Most of the bison tube containers I've found had damp or wet logs and often tattered logs. It's hard to get them out of the bison tube and it's harder to roll them scrolled up tight enough to put back, especially when they are damp and tattered. . They are annoying to find if they're needle-in-a-haystack hides, which I think a bison in ivy would be unless there's an explicit hint.

Thought as much.

Could have a very long rant about poor clues for caches. I gave up on a series once when I was struggling to get a decent signal due to tree cover in woodland, and the only clue given was "tree". Of course it's gonna be hidden somewhere within/on/under/around a tree, it's woodland there is nowhere else to hide it! But that's for another thread...

J

To further add, does anyone have any experience of the long term waterproofness of this type of container:

http://www.geocachekit.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2465997-49ml-Micro-Geocache-Container.html

J

These are good if you get the right size, a film cannister will fit nicely inside. You can camouflage the outer container with tape. I've used both black and camo duct tape with some sucess.

These are good if you get the right size, a film cannister will fit nicely inside. You can camouflage the outer container with tape. I've used both black and camo duct tape with some sucess.

Are they waterproof in their own right? or do you need to do the double pot approach to make sure the log stays dry?

J

Are the pill containers (the ones that look a bit like a bison container) any good as a cache container?

9.jpg

Do they have the longevity we like in a cache container? I'm wondering if the O ring will degrade and then it would become non waterproof?

J

These are fine... IF you immediately replace that piece-of-junk O-ring with a quality one (trust me, the one it comes with is crap).

Any hardware store carries O-rings, usually in the plumbing department.

Take it with you to assure you get the proper size ring.

9.jpg

J

I have used the plastic pill fobs with success.

ezy-dose-nitro-fresh-plastic-pill-fob-keychain-91358.jpg

They are similar in size and shape to a 35mm film can.

I have seen a cheap aluminum pill fob in use as a geocache, and it was already in poor condition after only a couple months.

There are floating containers with keyrings that are similar in size to a film can.

69412_floating_key_buoy_Keychain.jpg

The one I have found of this design worked well in a protected place. There are other models as well.

Or, if you can use something about twice as big as a film can, you might look into preforms.

Almost anything is more waterproof than a film canister. Others will comment on specifics, but there is another possibility. If the container is not perfect, it can still be okay if it is in a totally sheltered location.

It's worth pointing out that there are film cannisters and film cannisters. The type pictured below with a recessed lid that sits inside the top of the cannister tend to be a lot more waterproof than the type with a flat lid that wraps around the outside of the container.

PX-1033Web.jpg

I've also found that O-rings on containers generally seem to perish after a relatively short while, while the seals on lock'n'lock boxes seem to last longer. Small boxes seem less prone than large ones to sucking in water around their seals when the weather gets colder; larger boxes are also more prone to getting cracked when people pile rocks and logs on top of them.

Given how difficult it is to get truly waterproof containers, my advice is to try to choose a hiding place with the right combination of shelter and drainage to ensure that the cache doesn't get exposed to the damp for any long period of time.

We've lost count of the number of times we've come across clip-loks with something trapped between the seal and box that compromises sealing, often the placcy bag that the log is in! Also, seals get dirty so a quick wipe over with something damp (in a lot of cases the log would do - only joking!)

Agree, with previous comments about O rings, I can't believe that sellers go to the trouble on producing such nicely crafted containers and then spoil the job with a rubbish seal that either way only costs a fraction of a penny.

I've had more problems with bison tubes getting wet inside than film containers. And yes...even with 'better' o-rings. Majority of the cases, PEOPLE don't know how to close the bison tube properly, strip the threads, get the log stuck in the threads, or lose the o-ring entirely. All of my film containers (non clear ones), the lids are pretty 'tight' and again...sometimes people don't click them down enough. I've had a quality lock-n-lock that got water inside it because someone couldn't snap the lid properly.

Every & all containers are susceptible to water penetration..... pending the quality, area, placement, & people factor.

And don't forget....film containers (and other similar containers) aren't designed to be opened and closed a gazillion times. They won't last forever. So, over time...they will leak and/or the lids won't fit as tightly.

Film containers are FREE. You just might need to maintain them more often. Which, isn't a bad thing. Regular maintenance is always good.