Blocking my profile

Clown Shoes

I have a person who is using my profile to watch my movement in order to see how often I am away from home. Is there a way to block a particular user from seeing my finds list. This is quite serious. I have had others stalking my profile but this is being done to gather information on me to use against me in a court setting.

Stop using your Clown Shoes account. Set up a new one (let's call it MyOtherAccount) for a few months. Then re-log your finds from your MyOtherAccount to your Clown account when the court case is over. That way you get to still log and keep track of your finds.

Or stop using your Clown Shoes account to record your future finds, start a new account and don't re-log back into your Clown account.

Personally I would contact Groundspeak and state your case for a private profile. Couldn't hurt to ask.

I think a chronological list of our finds should not be available for public viewing, if an account owner doesn't want it to be public.

I don't know how exactly it could be used in a court setting, as they would have to prove the finds were legitimate, and that you logged them. You could always log your finds a few months late and this might cause them to lose interest, or log them with a note so that they would not be searchable, and then change them to a find a year later. Since most people rarely do audits, you could also post a few fake finds in a foreign country to mock any perceived validity they may have. Just don't do many different countries on the same day or someone will likely notice and get upset. For example you could write notes for 10 finds in your area, and simultaneously post 10 finds in Germany. After a month delete the German finds and change them to Africa. If they are backdated behind current finds, likely they will not affect anything.

I don't know how exactly it could be used in a court setting, as they would have to prove the finds were legitimate, and that you logged them. You could always log your finds a few months late and this might cause them to lose interest, or log them with a note so that they would not be searchable, and then change them to a find a year later. Since most people rarely do audits, you could also post a few fake finds in a foreign country to mock any perceived validity they may have. Just don't do many different countries on the same day or someone will likely notice and get upset. For example you could write notes for 10 finds in your area, and simultaneously post 10 finds in Germany. After a month delete the German finds and change them to Africa. If they are backdated behind current finds, likely they will not affect anything.

No... dont log ANY notes. Its searchable via API on GSAK. In fact any logs you make on GC.com is searchable. :ph34r: :ph34r:

I know a divorce case that got ugly when one party was trying to use gc.com as proof of his/her where about.

If you don't do anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about :)

If only it was that simple, sometimes it isn't and I'm guessing if their geocaching habits are being brought up it isn't simple.

It seems the issue is time at home versus time away from home. Maybe child-care issues or something? Sounds like a hostile battle. :(

I have a person who is using my profile to watch my movement in order to see how often I am away from home.

Child care issues? How about logging like this;

I was feeding my son dinner but he kept asking to go with me for a geocache. I told him only after he eats his veggies. Well we got to the location and spent some quality time looking for the cache together. He made the find and he traded for a toy car. After he insisted on going to the orphanage to give the car to a kid who had no toys. How could I refuse? So I offered him a reward for his good deed, and he said going geocaching with me was the best thing he could ask for. So we'll hit up another cache tomorrow after we volunteer at the soup kitchen. TFTC

If you don't do anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about :)

Stalkers only go after those who do something wrong?

You key in on stalker I key in on court case :)

I did not mean anything mean by my statement at all but I can see how it could be seen as that, so I am sorry. All I am saying is while Geocaching is fun if it's an issue for an upcoming court case then I would assume they are using it to shine a negative light on him, so why do it? I would assume he is doing something wrong if it is going to hold up in court. That's all. Just suck it up and wait until after the court date.

If he is just worried about the stalked part and not so much about the court date, that is simple, log them when you get home and not as an on the spot log. That why you are home already, or like others said, just keep track of your logs and log them months upon months later.

I was feeding my son dinner but he kept asking to go with me for a geocache. I told him only after he eats his veggies. Well we got to the location and spent some quality time looking for the cache together. He made the find and he traded for a toy car. After he insisted on going to the orphanage to give the car to a kid who had no toys. How could I refuse? So I offered him a reward for his good deed, and he said going geocaching with me was the best thing he could ask for. So we'll hit up another cache tomorrow after we volunteer at the soup kitchen. TFTC

+1, truly awesome!

Edited by MersonMonkeys

Yea something along these lines. Your account is way to old and you have way to many finds to mess it up with another account. I would just make my logs so weird that there is no way they could use them in court. Something like

" The log is signed with this date on it. Was that the day I was there I am really not sure? I might have found this last year and just realized it. Or maybe I know it sounds crazy but I found your cache 2 years in the future. Then found a delorean and came back in time. Then I used this delorean to travel to a time I was not able to cache due to a court case and back dated the logs so I felt like I was able to cache. So the logs will appear on the caches on those dates. This is a crazy game we all play"

Whoever is taking you to court could submit this info as proof and you can just tell them that people who play this game like to read weird logs so we just make stuff up sometimes for the fun of the CO. I'm sure any judge would be like. Can we just move on with some real evidence.

The log is signed with this date on it. Was that the day I was there I am really not sure? I might have found this last year and just realized it. Or maybe I know it sounds crazy but I found your cache 2 years in the future. Then found a delorean and came back in time. ...

Court conclusion? Mentally unstable. Child custody denied. :yikes:

In all seriousness, there is a forum regular who had issues in the past with a stalker. Not sure of all the details on his solution. Maybe he would PM you.

At the very least, stop logging finds online from now till the case is completed. Maybe just log them in GSAK or something.

There is eventually going to be an issue where Groundspeak gets a clue on privacy issues. Even though I'm a 6 foot, 200 Lb. man, I was relentlessy stalked on the internet in 2003. Nothing to do with Geocaching, but that's besides the point. They have consistently absolutely refused to enact any privacy mechanism's, and I think it will come back to bite them in the arse at some point. :ph34r: