is there a reward

green4orest

I have recently loged 500 caches, I thought my app would have congratulated me for a job well done, but instead nothing. So my question is does this game reward me for all my hard work?

green4orest@yahoo.com

A lot of kudos and sympathy from the veterans, huh?! Ouch!

I say, well done!

I have recently loged 500 caches, I thought my app would have congratulated me for a job well done, but instead nothing. So my question is does this game reward me for all my hard work?

green4orest@yahoo.com

Of course, didn't you get any rewards along the way? If not, why are you still caching?

green4orest@yahoo.com

I say, well done!

I figured that since this was posted in Off Topic and not in the regular forums (The Dark Side) that it was meant as a satirical thread and followed through with my post. If he is serious why would he expect an app to congratulate him. That would be like getting a form letter saying "Good Job Greenie"!

John

green4orest@yahoo.com

I say, well done!

I figured that since this was posted in Off Topic and not in the regular forums (The Dark Side) that it was meant as a satirical thread and followed through with my post. If he is serious why would he expect an app to congratulate him. That would be like getting a form letter saying "Good Job Greenie"!

John

I figured that *maybe* there was satire there, and my reply was a little wry. I should have added this 》 ;) or this 》 :rolleyes: .

green4orest@yahoo.com

I say, well done!

John

The official app does pop up with souvenirs, I haven't noticed if it does them for milestone caches. I don't use the app often.

green4orest@yahoo.com

All your hard work? Are you having fun?

Finding places you never knew of before, or just trying to accumulate "points"?

I always thought this hobby was about the location.

The reward is finding the cache listed at that location. Simple.

green4orest@yahoo.com

Correction: you've posted "found it" 500 times, but that isn't the same as finding 500 caches.

Logged "found it" twice:

http://coord.info/GC23T1Q

http://coord.info/GC18VPV

http://coord.info/GC1FMN5

http://coord.info/GC40N84

http://coord.info/GC2CZKF

http://coord.info/GC1J7ZY

http://coord.info/GC3C60P

http://coord.info/GCNGMF

http://coord.info/GCNVBM

http://coord.info/GC41CKT

http://coord.info/GC3VJKM

http://coord.info/GC41CKT

http://coord.info/GC52J35

http://coord.info/GCZTQT

B.

You probably have a Maggie. They never award Maggies.

There's some good humor here, but I predict this thread will eventually not go well. :P

Besides, (1), he says in the OP he's a app person (and probably 99% of new people are), and (2)The Magellan Explorist GC most definitely gives you awards. :)

I would think reaching 500 as a milestone would be reward enough, but I suppose some need a physical incentive. B)

I'm not so sure he wants a physical reward. It seems a virtual souvenir on the app would be sufficient.

We are talking about something called game dynamics. This is some occurrence in the course of the game that players may see as achieving a goal or earning a reward.

While I don't like it, the Woohoo, I'm getting another smiley (or WIGAS point) for logging the caches you find (even more than one time) is seen by many as a score. So the game dynamic has become to accumulate points. That might move you up in the "leaderboard" or it may result in a trophy or souvenir. The idea of unlocking another level is common in online games as a 'reward' for achieving a certain score.

Yes of course the game is fun and it does take me places, yes I am an app user, I started this game in June. I have so many questions. 1. What are the points for?

2. What is a virtual cache?

1. The points are for what every you want to use them for. Some of us don't see the find count as points at all. We find individual caches and, when we do, record it using the online log and share our experiences. Before the app, some people would write a story about their cache search and even upload pictures.

You are certainly welcome to set a goal of finding 1000 caches in the next year or something like that and let us know if you make your goal (and what kinds of adventures you had doing so). You may also want to look at challenge caches. These are listed as mystery type caches - so you may not see them on the introduction app. Here cachers have set goals based on finding geocaches, and if you achieve the goal, you may find and log these caches.

2. Virtual caches were an experiment from the early days of geocaching. Instead of finding a cache someone had hidden, the idea was to to find some object that was already there. Instead of signing the log, you would take a picture or answer a question to prove you 'found' that object. While virtual caches are no longer published, the old ones were grandfathered and many can still be found.

Edited by tozainamboku

... We are talking about something called game dynamics. This is some occurrence in the course of the game that players may see as achieving a goal or earning a reward. ...

It would be impractical for GS to give awards of any significant monetary value. Therefore the awards are symbolic. In business they've found that an occasional symbolic award or recognition is more motivating than just another check.

Those who aren't looking for awards may think it's a trivial, but it's part of the fun for some.

The OP is halfway to being a "medium-numbers" cacher! Shirley, where's your animated celebration emoticon?

Is logging 500 caches the same as finding 500 caches? :unsure:

I don't think so. Do you?

OP has technically found less than 500 caches, despite the number of "found it" logs he has posted online.

To the OP: this isn't an app game where you get "awards".

Each cacher finds their "reward" in different ways.

But there's no prizes, points, etc. based on the number of "found it" logs you post online.

Thank goodness for that, as far as I'm concerned.

B.

Yes of course the game is fun and it does take me places, yes I am an app user, I started this game in June. I have so many questions. 1. What are the points for?

2. What is a virtual cache?

You probably don't understand my post, I quoted someone who said you probably have a Maggie. That is a nickname for GPS manufacturer Magellan, and their most popular unit, the Explorist GC, does give you "awards", assuming you remember to mark the cache as found in it.

All the cache types are explained on this page. Virtual caches are there under "Grandfathered Cache types". They haven't been accepted since August 2005, but they had enhanced restrictions placed on them in early 2003, and it was very difficult to get one published during that period, even.

The person who found your duplicate logs merely had to enter your username at the website project-gc.com to find them. It's pretty common amongst new app only users to not think the log went through, and log a cache multiple times as found.

The person who said you don't write very good logs just looked at your profile, and some of your finds. I did too. For example, you recently logged a cache in Elmira with only "Found it" as a log. (I'm from New York too). This is kind of frowned upon by many of us old times, and is also generally a new app user only thing. There are many dissenters, even here in the forums, but most of us old timers feel you should write a nice log, consisting of at least a couple of sentences, detailing your experience finding the cache.

... We are talking about something called game dynamics. This is some occurrence in the course of the game that players may see as achieving a goal or earning a reward. ...

It would be impractical for GS to give awards of any significant monetary value. Therefore the awards are symbolic. In business they've found that an occasional symbolic award or recognition is more motivating than just another check.

Those who aren't looking for awards may think it's a trivial, but it's part of the fun for some.

The OP is halfway to being a "medium-numbers" cacher! Shirley, where's your animated celebration emoticon?

JC_you_rock.gifyahoo.gifgood2.gif

You are welcome....

Shirley~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

500 is really nothing. I can get twice that in one weekend.

I'm not trying to start anything but saying 500 is nothing is not a very encouraging statement to make for someone or anyone who has less than that him/herself. It took me almost 3 years to get 500 finds and when I started, there weren't many to find, so back in the day, 500 for anyone was a big deal. I look forward to seeing your progress when you find 1000 in one weekend.

Edited by Shinook & White Juan

What does it mean when a cache is hidden in someone's honor of that persons 1000th cache. I see these at times, I thought this is an automatic.

Quite often if you are active in your local geocaching area one of your fellow cachers will place a cache in your name for having found a certain number of caches. While this is nice, it isn't required.

The person who said you don't write very good logs just looked at your profile, and some of your finds. I did too. For example, you recently logged a cache in Elmira with only "Found it" as a log. (I'm from New York too). This is kind of frowned upon by many of us old times, and is also generally a new app user only thing. There are many dissenters, even here in the forums, but most of us old timers feel you should write a nice log, consisting of at least a couple of sentences, detailing your experience finding the cache.

And with regards to rewards, the pleasure of getting to the cache and the cache itself is the reward. And the reward for the cache hider is your feedback.

500 is really nothing. I can get twice that in one weekend.

I'm not trying to start anything but saying 500 is nothing is not a very encouraging statement to make for someone or anyone who has less than that him/herself. It took me almost 3 years to get 500 finds and when I started, there weren't many to find, so back in the day, 500 for anyone was a big deal. I look forward to seeing your progress when you find 1000 in one weekend.

Something that I have noticed in the forums is that a lot of posters seem to post from the perspective of their local area. For many, 500 caches would be relatively easy to do. In most countries, however, 500 finds would be quite a challenge if not nearly impossible without traveling hundreds of miles. From where I am sitting right now there are 6 caches within 50 miles (I have found 2 of them). Last week I was in a place where there were no caches at all within 150 miles.

What does it mean when a cache is hidden in someone's honor of that persons 1000th cache. I see these at times, I thought this is an automatic.

This only happens when a cacher has friends who cache. Going to events and even hiding caches yourself will end up with meeting other cachers. We have hidden a few caches with the name of another cacher for multiple reasons.

I know this might be crazy but you do know that the caches hidden are not from something like Geocaching.com They are all hidden by your local cachers who are just like you. I actually didn't put this all together for my first few finds. Then it hit me OH! This is the guy who came up with and hid all those caches. It was extra cool that the cacher we had found a bunch of his caches starting off was FTF on our first hide or one after. My daughter pointed this out. This is a game we all play together so it is cool to meet some of the local cachers and have some as friends. Without others playing in the area there is no game.

You probably already know this but thought I would point it out as I was kind of confused on it for the first few days and with saying you thought it was automatic that you might not realize how all the caches you find got there.

500 is really nothing. I can get twice that in one weekend. And why do you think you should get a reward? I don't get a reward for playing video games, building a model, flying an RC plane... We do this for fun.

It is if you do them like I do. By myself and on foot or bike. A lot of work and enjoyment

I wish I had that kind of time. I am contractor for the southern tier of NY and northern tier PA. My job takes me all over. This is my only advantage I have. So if I'm lucky maybe 6- 10 a week. My wife has me feeling like I'm an addict. Most of you folks must be retired or something, I just don't see how it's posable to get that many in one day.

Well i have to say, everyone who has responded to my questions. Thank you. This is the fist time i used this forum and you folks are the first people i have met who play this game. I have not met anyone out in the field yet while on a caching adventure.

Ps if your caching in my area and you see a big white and rusty Dodge Sprinter with a blue emergency light on the rooftop, it is one your fellow cachers.

Edited by green4orest

I wish I had that kind of time. I am contractor for the southern tier of NY and northern tier PA. My job takes me all over. This is my only advantage I have. So if I'm lucky maybe 6- 10 a week. My wife has me feeling like I'm an addict. Most of you folks must be retired or something, I just don't see how it's posable to get that many in one day.

Being able to travel all over your area gives you the flexibility to find caches in your spare time there, such as an airline pilot during a layover. The most I've found in 1 day is 104, and that was in an 9 hour period. In certain areas it is possible to get several hundred in a day, but it is a lot of work.

As for "being addicted".... well some of us are retired, or have jobs where we can spend time caching. I tend to plan out road trips and vacation trips around caching. We've seen some pretty amazing things, gone to some very scenic spots, and had a good time while traveling.

The reward is seeing places, finding that elusive container, and having a good time fulfilling various challenges.

We have more than 2000 finds, but you know what? We never found more than 20 or so (I'd need to check as I really don't know) in a day. If you want to celebrate milestones then why not find a very special cache for that? Choose one at a really great location, a long hike, a difficult puzzle, or maybe there's a webcam cache nearby you?

Well i have to say, everyone who has responded to my questions. Thank you. This is the fist time i used this forum and you folks are the first people i have met who play this game. I have not met anyone out in the field yet while on a caching adventure.

Ps if your caching in my area and you see a big white and rusty Dodge Sprinter with a blue emergency light on the rooftop, it is one your fellow cachers.

Ya' never know, I've driven through Waverly, N.Y. about 200 times. I'm sure I even stopped there for Lunch once. Only 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years or so though. :)

... This is the fist time i used this forum and you folks are the first people i have met who play this game. I have not met anyone out in the field yet while on a caching adventure.

If you want to meet other caches, either attend a geocaching event, or host one.