Best GPS for 12 year old

Cshykel

I have read a lot of the threads but I'm still confused. We are very new to geocaching. My 12 yo son wants to start doing it. He, of course, is better with technology than I am, but what gps unit would you recommend since it will be used almost exclusively for geocaching? I'd like to stay around $200 in price. Thanks!

I have read a lot of the threads but I'm still confused. We are very new to geocaching. My 12 yo son wants to start doing it. He, of course, is better with technology than I am, but what gps unit would you recommend since it will be used almost exclusively for geocaching? I'd like to stay around $200 in price. Thanks!

There are many fine units of various brands available on the market. I've enjoyed using my Garmin models and I would suggest the eTrex20 bundle if available in the U.S. The reason for the bundle is that, here in Canada, it includes a topo map on a micro SD card and it also comes with a case. A terrific unit ready to go right out of the box. Keep your eyes peeled for sales, you should be able to get it for under $200.00.

Edited by luvvinbird

There are many fine units of various brands available on the market. I've enjoyed using my Garmin models and I would suggest the eTrex20 bundle if available in the U.S. The reason for the bundle is that, here in Canada, it includes a topo map on a micro SD card and it also comes with a case. A terrific unit ready to go right out of the box. Keep your eyes peeled for sales, you should be able to get it for under $200.00.

Thank you for your help. Is a topo map necessary? One negative I read about some of the garmins is that you have to spend additional money on maps? But, the etrex20 is the one I was thinking about!

Thank you for your help. Is a topo map necessary? One negative I read about some of the garmins is that you have to spend additional money on maps? But, the etrex20 is the one I was thinking about!

Maps are not a MUST have... But they do make life easier. Often cheaper if they can be bought in a bundle deal.

There are FREE options out there, including Open Street Map.

As B and R pointed out, you can geocache using Garmin's included "basemap" but it's very basic, at best, and may cause some frustration when local streets aren't shown as you follow your device to the cache location. The topo map I mentioned also includes streets, etc.

Nothing wrong with the eTrex 20, really.

But all GPSr units, for a raw beginner especially, have a relatively serious learning curve.

Sure, they have manuals (online for downloading) that tell you everything about using the device. Problem is, they tell you what to do, just not how to connect-the-dots. This is true for all GPSr units.

If mapping is at all important to you, I would suggest a Delorme unit, either the PN-40 or (newer) PN-60. They come with Topo mapping that is outstanding, on disk so you can load it to both the unit AND your PC.

Loading caches to the Delorme units is the same as the Garmin(s), but with a Delorme you can delete individual caches from the unit -- not so with (current) Garmin units (if caches are loaded in bulk with .gpx files).

The bigger drawback to a Delorme PN-40 is that they go through batteries substantially faster than do Garmin units. The PN-60 has a vastly improved battery consumption rate.

Personally, I would not hesitate regarding a Garmin... but I do love my Delorme.

Just offering up an alternative choice, which has excellent and route-able maps :)

Learning curves are never a problem for 12 year olds. I guarantee you they will figure out the unit before you do.

$200.... Etrex 20 or Dakota 20 and since the younger ones play so much on smartphones with touchscreens and such, the Dakota 20 would be my recommendation.

The Dakota 20 is really old, and specs wise, the eTrex 20 has it beat handily. While the Dakota is a touchscreen, it is a resistive touchscreen that is very different from a capacitive touchscreen. I find them easier to use, but the tradeoff is that they are not as bright and visible outdoors compared to the non-touchscreen.

For a little more than $200, the discontinued but still excellent 62s is a great choice. It has a better antenna, larger screen (but same resolution) but no GLONASS.

Finally, you can also consider a used unit - there's a garage sale forum here.

I've only ever used Garmin units (which seem to be more popular among geocachers than DeLorme or Magellan), so I will limit myself to them. First decide if you want a touch screen or one with buttons & a joystick. The Dakota is a touchscreen but is an old (and therefore discontinued) model, this does mean you might get a good price on it but it's long in the tooth. The Dakota is a more modern touch screen, but probably more expensive. The Etrex is a button model. All of these can use legally free OpenStreetMap maps, which I find are excellent, I've used them in England, Greece and Spain and they're available for the whole world with the exception of places like North Korea. In the UK I don't believe any other maps are necessary and I certainly wouldn't consider paying for maps for my GPS, have a look here http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=4/35.60/-95.80 to see how well they cover your area, and whether this would be good for you. Personally I use an Etrex30, but in your position I would think that the Etrex20 would fit your needs and the extra features on the 30 aren't worth the extra $$$, I would avoid the Etrex10 as it doesn't do mapping.

On a closing note, over here in the UK Amazon included Etrex20s in their "Black Friday" deals last year, and they were being discounted by about %30 or %40 which represents excellent value, so if possible I would recommend you wait and see if you can pick something up when the deals start.

As mentioned the Dakota 20 is a touchscreen and it is also able to find Chirp caches, as well as a host of other functions that the eTrex20 cannot manage. For your budget, it is the only GPS worth considering.

The Dakota is also NOT discontinued.

Edited by firestars

If I had to do it all again (Buy my first GPS) I would attend a few local events and see what others nearby are using. Having other local cachers that are suing the same (or similar) GPS will make things much easier in terms of uploading maps, figuring out how to get caches onto the unit (although this has improved greatly), and other tips and tricks of that / those particular units. I'd even go so far as to recommend asking to try finding a cache or two with their unit (who doesn't want some company when they go caching, and if someone wants to help find a cache, particularly an eagle - eyed 12 year old I think you'll find a fairly positive reception). This will give you both a chance to see if you find that particular menu / operating system intuitive or not (I know for me the eventual switch from Magellan to Garmin was an arduous task). Ask lots of questions (you'll have lots no doubt, and probably even more once you've tried a couple) everyone like to talk about their GPS and most are very upfront about the disadvantages of their particular unit.... I wish I had.... This one cant....

Any modern GPS (<7 years old or so) is going to do the deed for you, but it's really a matter of once you get one, you'll know or learn what your model doesn't do, or do well, and then you can plan for the next GPS and so on :)

It's kind of like cars, there is no best car, it comes down to what you want to do with it, what finds of caches you like to find, what is available in your area, and how you feel using it.

Glad to see another young one having fun outside,

DyverDown

As mentioned the Dakota 20 is a touchscreen and it is also able to find Chirp caches, as well as a host of other functions that the eTrex20 cannot manage ...

Hardly a 'host', and none really needed ...

The facts are the facts. I don't know what else to say. I am just glad you can't come find my Chirp cache. Must be galling knowing there are caches out there that you can't find because you did not do your due diligence enough.

Edited by firestars

Must be galling knowing there are caches out there that you can't find because you did not do your due diligence enough.

I don't know, someone once said that this is not Pokémon and I don't need to get them all. You mean I've been misinformed?

You could also team up with someone who has a Chirp capable unit to search for those.

There are so few chirp caches it's really not necessary ... but glad you enjoy them :)

Bear in mind the OPs question ... most of us cache quite happily without any need to find chirp caches.

As Chrysalides mentions ... "the Dakota is really old now and specs wise the Etrex 20 has it beat handily"

To say as you did that for the budget it's the ONLY GPS worth considering is stretching facts really far too far.

reef-fishing-bait-01.jpg