Organizing an Event

kando1

I run a very well established Adventure Race in South Carolina but would like to accent our event with a geocaching event as well in 2015. Of course I would establish brand new cashes to be discovered (10-20) specifically for the event to be collected all in one day...

Im not sure whether we want to have winners as in a competition for keep it all friendly..?

How much would you pay to participate in an event like that taking into account it would be a one entry fee for a family/friend car-load...

I run a very well established Adventure Race in South Carolina but would like to accent our event with a geocaching event as well in 2015. Of course I would establish brand new cashes to be discovered (10-20) specifically for the event to be collected all in one day...

Im not sure whether we want to have winners as in a competition for keep it all friendly..?

How much would you pay to participate in an event like that taking into account it would be a one entry fee for a family/friend car-load...

Hopefully I googled your adventure race website correctly -- is it the one that started in 2013 and is canceled for 2014? If so, how is it "very well established"?

Looking at the entry fees for that adventure race, starting at $85 for an individual, I wanted to post as a volunteer cache reviewer to talk about how geocaching events work. I see that you joined the website today, and that you haven't found any caches or attended any events, so it is good of you to check here first.

Geocaching events need to stand on their own merits, and cannot be integrated as part of a larger event, like an adventure race. The test is, if there was no geocaching event cache, would the event still take place? (Here, the adventure race.) If the answer is yes, then it's not a geocaching event cache.

Geocaching events are not about charging entry fees -- $85 is way, way more than I'm used to seeing for a "bring your own stuff" type of event. A geocaching event host can only charge a fee to cover the actual out of pocket costs, like rental of a park's picnic shelter, food and drink provided by the host, etc.

I encourage you to review the listing guidelines, and especially the section on event caches, as part of your planning.