Cryptography Info

I have both editions of Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography book and I think it is excellent, but he hasn't updated it since 1994. It's probably not what you're looking for, though. If you're more interested in solving puzzles, you want a book on cryptanalysis.

Someone recommended Simon Singh's book to me once, but I have not read it yet.

Finally, you may want to check out the American Cryptogram Association. They have a lot of resources, even if you don't join them as a member.

I have both editions of Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography book and I think it is excellent, but he hasn't updated it since 1994. It's probably not what you're looking for, though. If you're more interested in solving puzzles, you want a book on cryptanalysis.

Someone recommended Simon Singh's book to me once, but I have not read it yet.

Finally, you may want to check out the American Cryptogram Association. They have a lot of resources, even if you don't join them as a member.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I will check it all out!

For some great cryptography fiction, Neil Stephanson's Cryptonomicon is about the best out there.

For actual informational nonfiction, can't help you.

And after reading it you can try to solve this puzzle cache: Key to the Cryptonomicon

It took me over a month to solve it and I know some have spent far longer working on it.

BTW, "The Voynich Cipher" by Russel Blake is also a good cryptography fiction book.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

The American Cryptogram Association site mentioned by fizzymagic provides excellent, clear descriptions for most pen-and-paper type ciphers that you're likely to see in a puzzle cache. You don't have to be a member to view it. The link is here: Cipher Types. For interactive online solvers for these types, probably the best site is BION's here: BION's encode-decode. The best beginner's book in my opinion is Cryptanalysis by Helen Fouche Gaines (originally named Elementary Cryptanalysis). It gives you all the basics, including a history of most simple cipher types, principles like frequency counts, contact information, index of coincidence, and so forth. It was written decades ago, but has been reprinted many times and you can get a used copy on Amazon for 5 or 6 bucks. If you can do any computer programming at all, even simple BASIC, you can also learn how to write tools you need with Cryptanalysis for Microcomputers by Caxton C. Foster. That book also has some useful tables and tools in the appendices like pattern word list. That, too, is available cheap for used copies.