How do i find a list of archived caches in my area?

k7da

i find that a lot of the archived caches around here were because the co didn't want to maintain them or lost interest.

a lot of the places are good for caches.

So go out and set up new caches, and submit them for review. You don't need a list of archived ones to do that.

B.

I agree with Pup.

There's usually nothing special about archived caches. Most were ordinary caches in ordinary places. Some were awful caches in awful places. Probably less than 5% were worth emulating.

Placing a cache in the exact same spot is boring for finders who found the first, now archived, cache. And if you live in a cache-dense area, the chances that that spot is available without another cache already being there or nearby is going to be rather slim, especially if that cache was in a nice location.

Edited by L0ne.R

i find that a lot of the archived caches around here were because the co didn't want to maintain them or lost interest.

a lot of the places are good for caches.

K7, i'll suggest an idea that helps you find archived caches. I see why you're frustrated that much of what was said was to tell you why you should not be interested in these spots, versus answering your question about how to find them.

Three of my four caches are on sites of archived caches, and all are *great* locations. Actually only one of my caches is almost exactly on the former spot -- the other two are close and would have been blocked by the proximity rule. All three are totally different than their predecessors. The former caches folded because of the CO's move, changing interests, etc., not because of lousy location.

The most prolific hider in my area often successfully "recycles" former cache sites.

Check the cache lists of prolific local cache owners. The lists show active and archived caches. Then check out the potential sites.

i tried the project-gc site but did not see how you found archived caches.

can you point me in the right direction?

dave

1. Put your geocaching name in 'profile name'

2. Select your country/state/county

3. Click 'none found' and archived

4. select any cache size or types that you wish to filter to

4. click filter

i tried the project-gc site but did not see how you found archived caches.

can you point me in the right direction?

dave

You have to click on the Add Filter drop down and choose the archived/disabled option and then tick the archived box. All sorts of filters that are worth playing with there.

You might want to include the ones you did find btw - so tick both boxes.

You might well be able to tell why caches have been archived by checking the most recent sets of logs.

Edited by Blue Square Thing

You can do so at http://project-gc.com/Tools/MapCompare

I tested my county and it shows 3915 archived caches that I never found. I have used this to find a few archived caches that are still out there. All were of the sort where someone complained about the log and the CO either archived it or ignored it.

This^

It was very helpful to explain to some folks why a certain area might not be good for another cache.

You can do so at http://project-gc.com/Tools/MapCompare

I tested my county and it shows 3915 archived caches that I never found. I have used this to find a few archived caches that are still out there. All were of the sort where someone complained about the log and the CO either archived it or ignored it.

This^

It was very helpful to explain to some folks why a certain area might not be good for another cache.

I find the map of my area very helpful. I've gone through a lot of the archived caches that are in the areas that I hide. It has helped my hiding strategy's for the particular terrain.

If you know who the CO was you can go to their profile page and look at the list of placed caches. The archived caches will be listed there. You can open the cache pages for them from the list.

You can also go to the profile page of a local who has been caching for a long time in your area and look at their list of found caches and you might find the archived caches in thier lists.

You can make a bookmark list of the caches and from that produce a PQ which you can import into a mapping program so that you can view them on a map.