Pocket Query's & Garmin GPSMAP 64s

Hornby-Hunters

Hi Everyone,

First I hope I have posted this in the right section, Mod's please move if it's wrong, thank you.

Okay, I have a Garmin GPSMAP 64s which when I run a 'Pocket Query' from Geocaching.com, download the zip file, extract the file as a .gpx then transfer it to my device either via garmin basecamp or easygps, I can see the .gpx file on my device, but when I then disconnect the device from my computer and switch the device on, it appears to load the geocaches but when I go to find geocaches none of them show on the device.

if I transfer individual geocaches from geocaching.com using garmin communicator and then disconect from my computer, switch the device on and go find geocaches they are there.

I have been in contact with Garmin and they insist the device is working okay and suggested I try opencaching.com, which I have (not believing it would make any difference) and low and behold when I go to opencaching.com and download a whole region as a .gpx file then transfer it to my device, etc. etc when I start up the device and go find geocahes they are all there!!

So it would appear that for some reason my GPSMAP 64s is not compatible with geocaching.com pocket query .gpx files, is it the device or the .gpx file from geocaching.com?

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received, many thanks.

Paul

So it would appear that for some reason my GPSMAP 64s is not compatible with geocaching.com pocket query .gpx files, is it the device or the .gpx file from geocaching.com?

It could be the GPX version that isn't compatible with your GPSMAP. There are two versions provided by Groundspeak: 1.0, and 1.0.1 which includes attributes. When 1.0.1 was released, most (all?) GPS devices choked on the new format and couldn't handle it, so the option to revert to 1.0 was provided.

If you click on the gear icon (settings-icon-white.png) near your name at the top-right of any geocaching.com page, then go to the Preferences section, what's the GPX Version set to? If it's 1.0.1, try changing it to 1.0 and see if that helps.

[...] download the zip file, extract the file as a .gpx then transfer it to my device [...]

Actually Pocket Querries unzip to two gpx files. I guess you've transfered the wrong one by accident. Transfer both files and you should be good to go.

Hans

Edited by HHL

It could be the GPX version that isn't compatible with your GPSMAP. There are two versions provided by Groundspeak: 1.0, and 1.0.1 which includes attributes. When 1.0.1 was released, most (all?) GPS devices choked on the new format and couldn't handle it, so the option to revert to 1.0 was provided.

If you click on the gear icon (settings-icon-white.png) near your name at the top-right of any geocaching.com page, then go to the Preferences section, what's the GPX Version set to? If it's 1.0.1, try changing it to 1.0 and see if that helps.

Thank you The A-Team for your reply, my GPX version was set to 1.0.1, so changed it to 1.0

Unfortunately it made no difference, still can't see the geocahes, was rather hopeful that this was going to work!

Thanks Paul

Actually Pocket Querries unzip to two gpx files. I guess you've transfered the wrong one by accident. Transfer both files and you should be good to go.

Hans

Hi Hans, thanks for the reply, indeed there are 2 gpx files, 1 is the large .gpx file the other is a much smaller -wpts.gpx file, even if I transfer both (directly) my device still can't see the newly installed geocaches.

Thanks Paul

I'm guessing that you are uploading the caches as waypoints rather than caches when you are transferring via BaseCamp or EasyGPS. It is easier to simply copy the GPX files directly to the \Garmin\GPX folder on the device using Windows Explorer and avoid this potential error.

Hi Moun10Bike, thanks for the reply, yes have tried this, device will still not see the geocahes

Regards

Paul

I have second hand info, that the device will not show caches if they are far (> 200km, 140mi ?) away.

So if you're planning a trip, this could happen.

Hi Stebu, looks as if you have come up trumps!!!

All the time I had been saying that when I transfer individual geocaches via garmin communicator they always appeared and 'multi' pocket queries didn't, well the individual ones where always 'local' to me and my 'multi' pocket queries where always some distance away!

So I ran a pocket query, centred around my 'home location' of geocaches I have not found, copied them directly onto my device and the device picked them up!

So next to prove it all is true I removed all gpx files from my device and checked the device.... no geocaches appeared (a small side note here is that I also noticed that with no geocahces on the device the 'find geocaches' icon did not appear in the 'find' menu)

I then transferred a single geocahce using garmin communicator onto my device which was well over 140miles away and tried again, this time when I went into the 'find' menu the geocache icon was there (I now take this to mean that the device knows geocaches are on it) but when I went into it 'No Results Found'

That Sir, is a result!!!

Many Thanks To Everyone who helped me out here, especially of course Stebu

Regards

Paul

I have now got any 'official' reply from Garmin Support in relation to my question about not seeing geocaches on my device due to the distance, and it confirms what has now been said here, so for future information here is the reply...

The GPSMAP 64 series can hold up to 4 million geocaches. However, these devices will only display geocaches located within a 100 mile (160 km) radius of the device.

In order to search or view geocaches outside of this radius, utilize the "Search Near" option and select a map point within a 100 mile radius of the geocache you wish to view. The other way to view the geocaches you loaded is to use BaseCamp to view all of them

Hope this helps someone else in the future

Regards

Paul

I have now got any 'official' reply from Garmin Support in relation to my question about not seeing geocaches on my device due to the distance, and it confirms what has now been said here, so for future information here is the reply...

The GPSMAP 64 series can hold up to 4 million geocaches. However, these devices will only display geocaches located within a 100 mile (160 km) radius of the device.

In order to search or view geocaches outside of this radius, utilize the "Search Near" option and select a map point within a 100 mile radius of the geocache you wish to view. The other way to view the geocaches you loaded is to use BaseCamp to view all of them

Regards

Paul

Thanks for posting this, Hornby-Hunters. The distance limitation is fairly well known (it applies to my Oregon 650 as well as your GPSMAP 64), but there's been some uncertainty about the actual maximum distance involved. Now we know.

--Larry

Regards

Paul

Thank you so much for posting this. I am going on vacation tomorrow-- recently got a GPSMAP64 after losing my 62--and have spent a better part of today trying to figure out why I couldn't see any geocaches. I can go finish packing now--- I didn't know or notice this distance thing on the 62.

Regards

Paul

Thanks for posting this, Hornby-Hunters. The distance limitation is fairly well known (it applies to my Oregon 650 as well as your GPSMAP 64), but there's been some uncertainty about the actual maximum distance involved. Now we know.

--Larry

I just bought a Garmin GPSMAP 64, and I ran into the same issue. But now I have a stupid question: How do I do a "Search Near" on the device? It is not mentioned in the manual. Thanks.