Hibernating for the winter! Who's with me?

I had some pretty memorable caching experiences in the middle of Winter while living in Anchorage, AK...sometimes I went out when it was -20 F. Good times, loved avoiding "walking" into the local moose population (they can really give you a scare when trampling through the shrubs and forest).

Aaaah Alaska! Yeah, do the cache hiders crank up their difficulty level if you have to navigate through a gaggle of Moose?? That can be dangerous I hear. PS- I've aaaaalways wanted to go to Alaska.

I took these while caching in Minnesota during the winter. Would you want to miss this?

P1010015.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010014.jpg

Short answer yes.

Ditto :P

Honestly, I hate snow but pictures such as that make it a *bit* easier to take.

Winter caching can be absolutely beautiful. Just dress appropriately. Head, hands and feet are a must but personally, I wouldn't go out caching without snow pants. Unless you're doing urban caches and stay close to the car, you're probably going to be kneeling in snow and once your pants get wet, even on the balmy 30° days, you're pretty much done.

SNOW PANTS!! Good idea! Hadn't thought of that. I had them as a kid to play in the snow and now I'm an adult so I wouldn't need them. Oh wait... I took up caching instead of knitting. DOH!

I have cached in the snow but I do not drive if I don't have to. Even if I or whomever I ride with is a good driver chances are some dodo bird with get stuck or crash and we will get stuck behind them. Washington drivers do not know how to drive in even 2 inches of snow. <_<

Yes, same in southern England. As snow is relatively rare - and when we do get some it doesn't tend to last long - cars don't have appropriate tires; snowploughs are rare; and only main routes are treated with sand/salt. In the rare occasion that we have snow; I'm happy to walk in it, but can't or don't want to drive to the trailhead. (And I've found all the caches walking distance from home). When it snows, my car stays put until the snow melts.

Danny & Redsox: Oh yes, I get the snow and safe driving thang. And that not everyone experiences it. Our satellite office in Alabama got snow last year and the place came to a STAND STILL. It was really hard not to make fun of them, but we understood because they just aren't used to it. The next day several people brought sleeping bags and one gal brought a loaf of bread. Thankfully they didn't have to resort to cannibalism. Here in MN we HAVE to drive in the snow else how would we get to the good pizza places?!

I go out in every weather: 50C in summer (122F) or -10 in winter (14F) plus a decent wind chill. It's all a matter of right clothes and right preparation. Hey, we've been in Calgary and the Rockies in winter and found a good amount of caches, some of which we had to dig out of the snow, like the Continental Divide Virtual - where we finally found the marker in the fourth hole we dug.

Minnesota! The land of Gumpy old men, holes in the ice with somebody staring at it an saying here fishy

fishy. Snowmobiles, snowshoeing. Stay indoors you say? Hey it's only 30 below zero, what's a mile

hike at that temp? Just a walk in the park and some geocache.

You had me til you said "30 below zero, mile hike". I'm sorry, I have to draw the line somewhere!!

I actually have to keep my coat open at that temp. The winter clothes these days are a lot better.

I tend to work up a lot of heat while on the move. Only when I sit for some time do I zip up.

The vast majority of the winter it is around zero.

I live in the Arctic or Minnesota or whatever ... same thing. I am a TOTAL wuss when it comes to winter caching. BUT c'mon, for more than half my life I lived in nice, toasty warm states with no snow. So that's kind of an excuse, right? Right??

Anyone else slow their roll in the winter?? Wanna hang out indoors, drink hot chocolate, and solve mystery caches with me? :omnomnom:

Caching in the winter is great.

Geotrails really stand out, especially when the previous finders are wearing 36 inch snowshoes :D

We don't cache much in the Winter.

These days many use plastic, so we'd stand a chance of breaking 'em.

- But the AT in the Winter, the views are awesome.

Ooooh, I didn't even consider what type of container might not work in the winter to find. Thanks for the tip! Uuuuhh... what's AT?

I assume that it's the Appalachian Trail. I live in a place where it's very cold in the winter as well. It's a good time to travel somewhere closer to the equator.

I USED to live closer to the equator and did not like it one bit, but I lived there YEAR round. Now California would be another story....

I am going to be considerably closer to the equator next week (N 9 degrees) but it's only supposed to be in the mid 70s during the day and high 40s at night. I'll be at 7500 feet elevation and that can cool things down a lot. The problem with doing LPCs during the winter is that it's difficult to plow snow around them and it can build up next to the pole. There are some caches that can be quite a bit easier to find in winter; just follow the tracks in the snow coming *from* GZ.

SNOW PANTS!! Good idea! Hadn't thought of that. I had them as a kid to play in the snow and now I'm an adult so I wouldn't need them. Oh wait... I took up caching instead of knitting. DOH!

I used to have some neoprene bib overall ski pants. I couldn't wear them when it got above 28 degrees or so because I'd get too hot. Sometimes you have to take care not to overdress. If you start sweating and then get cold again you're going to be wet *and* cold. Dress in layers and there a lot of modern fabrics that will keep you comfortable. Don't wear jeans. Once they get wet, they'll stay wet.

I live in the Arctic or Minnesota or whatever ... same thing. I am a TOTAL wuss when it comes to winter caching. BUT c'mon, for more than half my life I lived in nice, toasty warm states with no snow. So that's kind of an excuse, right? Right??

Anyone else slow their roll in the winter?? Wanna hang out indoors, drink hot chocolate, and solve mystery caches with me? :omnomnom:

I live in the same arctic region. I don't slow down too much but I do like getting warmed up with coco and a companion after a day of snowshoeing.

I can recall many a cold day caching in the Duluth area, and how wonderful the sight of my favorite coffee shop would be.

Plus, some of the best events are held in the winter! Host a few, Bubbles&Bonkers!

I had some pretty memorable caching experiences in the middle of Winter while living in Anchorage, AK...sometimes I went out when it was -20 F. Good times, loved avoiding "walking" into the local moose population (they can really give you a scare when trampling through the shrubs and forest).

Aaaah Alaska! Yeah, do the cache hiders crank up their difficulty level if you have to navigate through a gaggle of Moose?? That can be dangerous I hear. PS- I've aaaaalways wanted to go to Alaska.

Come visit any time! There's an amazingly vibrant caching community, surrounded by the beautiful wild Alaska landscape! Pretty neat place to live, and a fun place to cache. Plus, if we hibernated in the "winter" from geocaching, there'd be only a couple months of caching to enjoy! :laughing:

Don't wear jeans. Once they get wet, they'll stay wet.

Right. Outdoors in winter is generally not the best time for natural fabrics like cotton & wool. Down can soak up water too, so avoid unless no chance of snow or unless covered by something else. Outer layer should be something like Gortex. Clothes made for skiing are usually well-suited to cold outdoor activities where you may get wet.

Don't wear jeans. Once they get wet, they'll stay wet.

Right. Outdoors in winter is generally not the best time for natural fabrics like cotton & wool. Down can soak up water too, so avoid unless no chance of snow or unless covered by something else. Outer layer should be something like Gortex. Clothes made for skiing are usually well-suited to cold outdoor activities where you may get wet.

Well, careful with generalization. While cotton is a poor insulator, and functions horribly as an insulator when wet, wool is a better option. In fact, when layered, wool as a baselayer can provide the best insulation when used with other, thicker wool fabrics and synthetics.

A quick internet search helped me find this reference: http://sectionhiker.com/why-does-cotton-kill/ and http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/layering-basics.html

Waxed cotton can help repel moisture, but doesn't provide good insulation. Wool can saturate quickly when wetted, but is also easy to wring and maintains insulative properties better than cotton or hemp fabrics when wet. Your grandpa's itchy sweater may not be best for possibly getting soaked, but modern merino alternatives certainly work well for me when backcountry skiing, XC skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, biking, snowball fights, fly fishing, and kayaking.

I took these while caching in Minnesota during the winter. Would you want to miss this?

P1010015.jpg

NO, I don't want to miss that! GORGEOUS!!! Seriously stunning scenery. It looks magical! So... you're in MN, too? Cool! Maybe we could cache sometime if you're ever in dah 'hood. Holla! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I dunno about that... not sure we'd be able to get along. What do you think? B)

If I hibernated in winter, I'd have to buy a canoe for all those island caches. And deal with duck poo around the islands, and mosquitoes... Yeck.

Nah, winter caching has its advantages. The ice is nice and thick by February.

9160fb40-244f-44ac-bd79-926c4fe89553.jpg

...though sometimes you get a layer of slush on top of the nice thick ice. Hasn't been a problem so far, though there have been moments...

29a218e8-8c39-4fa4-8c67-eff6b771faeb.jpg

PS, best line of the day:

4c16ad1f-f63f-4ba8-bfa9-ebd5af6a49fa.jpg

Edited by Viajero Perdido

While I certainly cache more during the warm months, there are some nice things about the colder ones:

1. The temperature is better for hiking. One can always add clothes in winter. You can only remove a certain amount of clothes on hot days.

Depends on what day you are hiking...

How on earth did I miss a post about Naked Hiking Day?! :blink: But I better never come across one of you caching nekkid! EEeeeeK!

Minnesota! The land of Gumpy old men, holes in the ice with somebody staring at it an saying here fishy

fishy. Snowmobiles, snowshoeing. Stay indoors you say? Hey it's only 30 below zero, what's a mile

hike at that temp? Just a walk in the park and some geocache.

You had me til you said "30 below zero, mile hike". I'm sorry, I have to draw the line somewhere!!

I actually have to keep my coat open at that temp. The winter clothes these days are a lot better.

I tend to work up a lot of heat while on the move. Only when I sit for some time do I zip up.

The vast majority of the winter it is around zero.

Yup yup! I'm gathering there is a trick to what and how much to wear! It sounds complicated... :unsure:

Caching in the winter is great.

Geotrails really stand out, especially when the previous finders are wearing 36 inch snowshoes :D

Oh, I just heard about this one tonight! And you follow the path that comes out, not the one that goes in. WooT!

We don't cache much in the Winter.

These days many use plastic, so we'd stand a chance of breaking 'em.

- But the AT in the Winter, the views are awesome.

Ooooh, I didn't even consider what type of container might not work in the winter to find. Thanks for the tip! Uuuuhh... what's AT?

I assume that it's the Appalachian Trail. I live in a place where it's very cold in the winter as well. It's a good time to travel somewhere closer to the equator.

I USED to live closer to the equator and did not like it one bit, but I lived there YEAR round. Now California would be another story....

I am going to be considerably closer to the equator next week (N 9 degrees) but it's only supposed to be in the mid 70s during the day and high 40s at night. I'll be at 7500 feet elevation and that can cool things down a lot. The problem with doing LPCs during the winter is that it's difficult to plow snow around them and it can build up next to the pole. There are some caches that can be quite a bit easier to find in winter; just follow the tracks in the snow coming *from* GZ.

Enjoy your warmer caching! I might make it my mission to find the winter suitable ones. Maybe. Possibly. We'll see!

Come visit any time! There's an amazingly vibrant caching community, surrounded by the beautiful wild Alaska landscape! Pretty neat place to live, and a fun place to cache. Plus, if we hibernated in the "winter" from geocaching, there'd be only a couple months of caching to enjoy! :laughing:

I'm less of a host-y person and more of an attender person. You know, on account I'm kinda shy and all. And thanks for the invite! Ya just might see a Bubbles&Bonkers on your doorstep one day! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is a huge plus for winter caching. NO TICKS!!

You just need to keep your eyes open for the dreaded snow snake.

Also just follow the Deer trails, they seem to know where the geocache are hidden.

Sooo... you must've heard I'm pretty gullible, eh?? I seriously had to ask Bonkers if there's a snow snake!! Are you trying to horde all the caches to yourself by scaring me away? :lol: :lol: :lol:

P1010015.jpg

NO, I don't want to miss that! GORGEOUS!!! Seriously stunning scenery. It looks magical! So... you're in MN, too? Cool! Maybe we could cache sometime if you're ever in dah 'hood. Holla! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I dunno about that... not sure we'd be able to get along. What do you think? B)

Bottle of Fireball + Shared caching stories = BeSTiEs!

If I hibernated in winter, I'd have to buy a canoe for all those island caches. And deal with duck poo around the islands, and mosquitoes... Yeck.

Nah, winter caching has its advantages. The ice is nice and thick by February.

9160fb40-244f-44ac-bd79-926c4fe89553.jpg

...though sometimes you get a layer of slush on top of the nice thick ice. Hasn't been a problem so far, though there have been moments...

29a218e8-8c39-4fa4-8c67-eff6b771faeb.jpg

PS, best line of the day:

4c16ad1f-f63f-4ba8-bfa9-ebd5af6a49fa.jpg

Those are GREAT pictures!! Unless it was while you were waiting for the tow truck. :)

Okay, y'all have convinced me. If I can come up with some better outerwear, I'm giving it a GO!! Yippieeee!!

I still get out in winter to cache. I may not get out EVERY Saturday but I still get out often. Sure, I find less caches in the winter. My stats do show some winter months with lots for finds but most of those are due to visiting the in-laws in Florida so that doesn't count as winter caching. I usually don't head deep into the forest during winter but switch to areas that are muggle laden in the summer but deserted in the winter. Last year I grabbed a bunch of caches along the Erie Canal Towpath. It gets a lot more muggle traffic in the warmer months but on a snowy Saturday, the place is mine.

I still get out in winter to cache. I may not get out EVERY Saturday but I still get out often. Sure, I find less caches in the winter. My stats do show some winter months with lots for finds but most of those are due to visiting the in-laws in Florida so that doesn't count as winter caching. I usually don't head deep into the forest during winter but switch to areas that are muggle laden in the summer but deserted in the winter. Last year I grabbed a bunch of caches along the Erie Canal Towpath. It gets a lot more muggle traffic in the warmer months but on a snowy Saturday, the place is mine.

That's a very good point about the muggle traffic. I should scout out those places this winter! Thanks for the tip! And winter caching in FL is the BEST! Been there done that!

I haven't made it through my first winter of caching, but since I live in the outskirts of dallas and I started in the summer, winter caching might be better for me since there are waayyyy less chiggers. Chiggers are horrible. I made the mistake of walking through some grass with shot a on and I was scratching everywhere!

:huh: I would like to be out & about but since the 13th of October I've been out of commission.

I torn the rotator cuff tendon from the bone end, they had to reattach it via bone screws & Kevlar stitches. Then they removed 1.58 cm of the Cavicle common to the reattached tendon.

Just don't want to fall with a arm in a sling, plus trying to open a cache with one arm. Should be back in action within 6 months I hope. So, I guess I'll take some time off.

I haven't made it through my first winter of caching, but since I live in the outskirts of dallas and I started in the summer, winter caching might be better for me since there are waayyyy less chiggers. Chiggers are horrible. I made the mistake of walking through some grass with shot a on and I was scratching everywhere!

Ooo, I've heard of chiggers! Ick! I guess every area probably has its "challenges".

:huh: I would like to be out & about but since the 13th of October I've been out of commission.

I torn the rotator cuff tendon from the bone end, they had to reattach it via bone screws & Kevlar stitches. Then they removed 1.58 cm of the Cavicle common to the reattached tendon.

Just don't want to fall with a arm in a sling, plus trying to open a cache with one arm. Should be back in action within 6 months I hope. So, I guess I'll take some time off.

Oh no, that's terrible! But now you sound kinda bionic! I think you are wise, better safe than sorry.

While poison ivy may not still grow in the Winter in some areas, the plant still contains urushiol year-round and now doesn't have the leaves one usually needs to identify it (to stay away).

Also, another misconception, though ticks are dormant in freezing weather, anything above freezing with Sun shining will find 'em back in business.

If you have ticks in your area and the weather's warm enough to melt snow, they're out.

iLIJOx.png

It seems Winter is my favourite time to cache. Mostly because I have more free time and I need the exercise. I have noticed this summer though that poison ivy doesn't grow in the winter and the lack of leaves and ferns and grass makes for an easier search.

Dude. If you wan't cred, you can't have August as your month with most caches found. You need this: (and I'm just messing with you, by the way)

15085226923_ba29e191c4_o.jpg

By the way, "who's with me" appears in the thread title. Has there been anyone who's "with it" so far? I don't think there has been. :anibad:

iLIJOx.png

It seems Winter is my favourite time to cache. Mostly because I have more free time and I need the exercise. I have noticed this summer though that poison ivy doesn't grow in the winter and the lack of leaves and ferns and grass makes for an easier search.

Dude. If you wan't cred, you can't have August as your month with most caches found. You need this: (and I'm just messing with you, by the way)

15085226923_ba29e191c4_o.jpg

By the way, "who's with me" appears in the thread title. Has there been anyone who's "with it" so far? I don't think there has been. :anibad:

Lol! Yes, I did start it out like that, but I actually like how this has evolved into everyone having positive things to say about winter caching so that I am interested in doing it now!

We become more active in the fall/winter after summer days at the beach/lakes. In fact, it has become tradition for us to cache on Christmas and New Year's Days. We are in the Pacific Northwest (Victoria, BC) so if there is any precipitation, it is usually rain. In winter of 1996 though, it was a very different story.....................

Here on the NSW South Coast we don't get snow. Actually we haven't had a frost in the 20 years I've lived here. Winter caching weather is usually perfect.

However, it sometimes gets up to 43°C in Summer, just a few days a year, and I don't go anywhere then.

Oh that sounds lovely! And I'll bet you have some awesome scenery there, too. Can't even imagine...

Scenery

Yes. A lot of beaches backed, in the main, by State or National Forest. No real mountains - our local Pigeon House Mountain is all of 665m high. Here's a picture with Pigeon House in the background.

I've just come back from Alaska and Western Canada and it is much more spectacular there. Ours is softer and gentler.

I spent the first half of my life in Arizona and Southern California and the second half in Alaska. Moving north is the best personal choice I think I've ever made. All seasons have their virtues, but colder temperatures and snow make for one wonderland after another.

6477aaef-e0de-4d63-953f-44f6807626bd.jpg

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Having almost 1500 finds, I have never found a geocache in the snow or with snow around me. :anicute: of course this has to do with the area I live in (next to Catalan mediterranean beaches :P ). But this winter we have plans to make a trip to the Pyrenees and do some caching in the snow.

But my main problem in december is not the cold -which in fact I like- but the January exams. Moreover this year I'm doing a very demanding masters degree and I won't have a lot of time for going outdoors... :mad:

I usually slow down in December, particularly when I am close to my goal of 1000 finds/year. But then pick it right back up and hit it hard in January.

WHAT?!! 1000 finds a year?! That's crazy talk. I'd be lucky to hit 1000 after 7 years of caching. Though I don't have a jet setting, trust fund lifestyle like you. :D :D :D Wait, do you have that???

We become more active in the fall/winter after summer days at the beach/lakes. In fact, it has become tradition for us to cache on Christmas and New Year's Days. We are in the Pacific Northwest (Victoria, BC) so if there is any precipitation, it is usually rain. In winter of 1996 though, it was a very different story.....................

Well thank goodness geocaching hadn't been invented yet! Whew!! Lol!

Here on the NSW South Coast we don't get snow. Actually we haven't had a frost in the 20 years I've lived here. Winter caching weather is usually perfect.

However, it sometimes gets up to 43°C in Summer, just a few days a year, and I don't go anywhere then.

Oh that sounds lovely! And I'll bet you have some awesome scenery there, too. Can't even imagine...

Scenery

Yes. A lot of beaches backed, in the main, by State or National Forest. No real mountains - our local Pigeon House Mountain is all of 665m high. Here's a picture with Pigeon House in the background.

I've just come back from Alaska and Western Canada and it is much more spectacular there. Ours is softer and gentler.

WOW! That's amazing!! I never see anything like that while caching. :P Yet. I can't wait to get to Alaska someday!!

I spent the first half of my life in Arizona and Southern California and the second half in Alaska. Moving north is the best personal choice I think I've ever made. All seasons have their virtues, but colder temperatures and snow make for one wonderland after another.

6477aaef-e0de-4d63-953f-44f6807626bd.jpg

That's a really awesome photo! Wonder if my dogs would let me strap them to skis. :P I lived in CA and FL so I hear ya on the seasons. I really do appreciate SOME things about winter, truly. There's nothing like a quiet snow first thing in the morning. Hot apple cider to warm you up after being outside. Etc etc. And now I might actually do some serious caching this winter. WooT.

Having almost 1500 finds, I have never found a geocache in the snow or with snow around me. :anicute: of course this has to do with the area I live in (next to Catalan mediterranean beaches :P ). But this winter we have plans to make a trip to the Pyrenees and do some caching in the snow.

But my main problem in december is not the cold -which in fact I like- but the January exams. Moreover this year I'm doing a very demanding masters degree and I won't have a lot of time for going outdoors... :mad:

It sounds like you won't have enough time to geocache either!! OH NO!! That's going to be terrible. :( :( :( I'll just have to get some extra caches for you! Have fun in the snow!! Sounds like a wonderful trip!

It's a shame you missed this one! I found it!

384709cb-2ab7-42e6-894f-01b19bfc2dd6.jpg

I found it in warmer weather!

I live in SE Pennsylvania and it doesn't get all that cold or snowy (compared to you northeners).

However- I absolutely HATE the cold weather. But yes, with the clocks turned back and it gets dark at 5pm....I want to hibernate!!!

We don't cache in the snow...but we have been known to slap on a pair of waders and walk thru a creek when its 25 degrees out. It just depends on our MISSION ...

Scenery

WOW! That's amazing!! I never see anything like that while caching. :P Yet. I can't wait to get to Alaska someday!!

ERM, that's not Alaska, it is off the NSW South Coast. The pimple in the background is Pigeon House Mountain.

In my first three years of caching I had about 30 caches in late December through the start of February, and most were one two days. I finished my caching calender, and hated wandering in the snow.

I want everyone to continue to post happy winter photos of themselves caching. I will, of course, live through you vicariously.