Hibernating for the winter! Who's with me?

I live in the Arctic or Minnesota or whatever ... same thing. I am a TOTAL wuss when it comes to winter caching. BUT c'mon, for more than half my life I lived in nice, toasty warm states with no snow. So that's kind of an excuse, right? Right??

Anyone else slow their roll in the winter?? Wanna hang out indoors, drink hot chocolate, and solve mystery caches with me? :omnomnom:

I live in the Arctic or Minnesota or whatever ... same thing. I am a TOTAL wuss when it comes to winter caching. BUT c'mon, for more than half my life I lived in nice, toasty warm states with no snow. So that's kind of an excuse, right? Right??

Anyone else slow their roll in the winter?? Wanna hang out indoors, drink hot chocolate, and solve mystery caches with me? :omnomnom:

I live in the same arctic region. I don't slow down too much but I do like getting warmed up with coco and a companion after a day of snowshoeing.

October through March is the BEST time to be caching in Atlanta. Cool or moderate temps, fewer bugs, poison ivy dies back, better signal due to less tree cover. I'm psyched about getting to some of the caches I've put off due to them being in forested areas.

Edited by J Grouchy

I'm slowly working on a 10 x 366 challenge. I've found at least 10 caches for each calendar day in the summer and fall, but I've got a ways to go yet for winter and spring (i.e., extended winter up here).

While I certainly cache more during the warm months, there are some nice things about the colder ones:

1. The temperature is better for hiking. One can always add clothes in winter. You can only remove a certain amount of clothes on hot days.

2. There are fewer muggles around when it's cold.

3. No mosquitoes around.

4. The scenery can be spectacular after a new snowfall.

5. It's harder to get lost when you can follow your footprints back to your vehicle.

6. Snowshoeing and x-country skiing are good exercise.

7. Less competition for FTFs, if you're into that kind of thing.

I tend to trail off in the winter too, but winter caching can be memorable. A journey, a trek. I loved this 1 km round trip hike through the evergreen forests of northern New York in late December:

.... With the sun below the horizon, darkness setting in, & the thermometer reading 4ºF/-15ºC, I pulled out the flashlight and bagged the find.

The secret is the correct clothing. The right parka with hood, gloves and boots are especially important. Gortex pants, ski pants, whatever are needed to.

I live in the same arctic region. I don't slow down too much but I do like getting warmed up with coco and a companion after a day of snowshoeing.

BF my new BFF! Jk. Actually I would really like to try snowshoeing. And getting caches while still seated in my car, with butt warmer, and some sort of long, grabby thingy.

PS- I don't know how to multi-quote - sorry!

October through March is the BEST time to be caching in Atlanta. Cool or moderate temps, fewer bugs, poison ivy dies back, better signal due to less tree cover. I'm psyched about getting to some of the caches I've put off due to them being in forested areas.

Well, Grouchy, I hear ya. I started my Caching Career while living in So FL and WINTER caching was the BEST! Now my favorite time is autumn in MN.

I'm slowly working on a 10 x 366 challenge. I've found at least 10 caches for each calendar day in the summer and fall, but I've got a ways to go yet for winter and spring (i.e., extended winter up here).

While I certainly cache more during the warm months, there are some nice things about the colder ones:

1. The temperature is better for hiking. One can always add clothes in winter. You can only remove a certain amount of clothes on hot days.

2. There are fewer muggles around when it's cold.

3. No mosquitoes around.

4. The scenery can be spectacular after a new snowfall.

5. It's harder to get lost when you can follow your footprints back to your vehicle.

6. Snowshoeing and x-country skiing are good exercise.

7. Less competition for FTFs, if you're into that kind of thing.

Thank you so much for the "glass is half full" aspect of it. I am definitely going to take to heart your list and see if I can get out there.

I tend to trail off in the winter too, but winter caching can be memorable. A journey, a trek. I loved this 1 km round trip hike through the evergreen forests of northern New York in late December:

.... With the sun below the horizon, darkness setting in, & the thermometer reading 4ºF/-15ºC, I pulled out the flashlight and bagged the find.

The secret is the correct clothing. The right parka with hood, gloves and boots are especially important. Gortex pants, ski pants, whatever are needed too.

c7b403e0-a459-4511-b80b-4ed513750790.jpg

When I lived in the Midwest, there was a definite slowdown for me between December and February. But now that I'm in the more moderate Northwest, surrounded by a lot of untapped caches, I imagine I'll be out a lot more during the winter months. At least, I hope so!

I know you will be! I'm jealous of my CA buddies who will still get to cache. One is trying to best me in #s so I might be a little screwed.

The secret is the correct clothing. The right parka with hood, gloves and boots are especially important. Gortex pants, ski pants, whatever are needed too.

c7b403e0-a459-4511-b80b-4ed513750790.jpg

Wow, that's a really awesome photo! I'm aaaaalmost excited to try winter caching now! And you're right, I just heard about the proper clothing and layering from KnowsKelly. I guess I will have to start saving up for all the gear I'm going to need. :D :D :D

Here's *part* of my log from another winter find, without question one of my top five caching experiences:

I looked around and chose an entry point – it’s one dense forest. Then it was a matter of slogging through the tough terrain for 400+ meters. Rocks, boulders, swamps, streams, logs, thorns, weeds, dense tree cover, fallen trees, hills – this cache warrants its 4.5 rating (4.0 at a minimum). There’s no “beelining” – you have to choose your path, even though there is nothing close to resembling a path.

Made it to GZ and it’s dramatic - not the basic cache-in-the-woods scenario. There are many hiding places, some very challenging and some easier, and I had the good fortune of spotting it within a few minutes.

Signed the blank log (thanks for the pen – I forgot mine – really!), took the FTF prize (thanks – it was well earned), did not swap swag, then sat and enjoyed the stillness and beauty of the vista. After that I began the journey out – 45 minutes in, 30 minutes out. Almost all of that hour and fifteen minutes was time in the “zone” according to my fitness monitor. Made it home just as a steady snow began delivering several inches of snow.

Here's *part* of my log from another winter find, without question one of my top five caching experiences:

I looked around and chose an entry point – it’s one dense forest. Then it was a matter of slogging through the tough terrain for 400+ meters. Rocks, boulders, swamps, streams, logs, thorns, weeds, dense tree cover, fallen trees, hills – this cache warrants its 4.5 rating (4.0 at a minimum). There’s no “beelining” – you have to choose your path, even though there is nothing close to resembling a path.

Made it to GZ and it’s dramatic - not the basic cache-in-the-woods scenario. There are many hiding places, some very challenging and some easier, and I had the good fortune of spotting it within a few minutes.

Signed the blank log (thanks for the pen – I forgot mine – really!), took the FTF prize (thanks – it was well earned), did not swap swag, then sat and enjoyed the stillness and beauty of the vista. After that I began the journey out – 45 minutes in, 30 minutes out. Almost all of that hour and fifteen minutes was time in the “zone” according to my fitness monitor. Made it home just as a steady snow began delivering several inches of snow.

WOOOOW!! You really told the story there! And I want you to know all my co-workers think I'm nuts because I'm on my knees bowing towards the computer screen right now. I'm pretty sure I'd never be that much of a winter-cachey person. But never say never!

I'm aaaaalmost excited to try winter caching now! And you're right, I just heard about the proper clothing and layering from KnowsKelly. I guess I will have to start saving up for all the gear I'm going to need. :D :D :D

I can't emphasize the right clothing enough. Freezing hands or feet can ruin the experience - but they're avoidable. Heat packs can help too - buy at a box store, etc., not at a resort. If you're on the move, you do not need as heavy clothing as you'd think. For example, the parka I wore for the 4 degree F / -15 C weather feels terribly hot when hiking at 30 degrees F / 0 C. Yet if you were standing still waiting for a train or something, the parka might be fine at that temperature.

PS That was Whiteface Mt. (near Lake Placid) in the background of that photo.

WOOOOW!! You really told the story there! And I want you to know all my co-workers think I'm nuts because I'm on my knees bowing towards the computer screen right now. I'm pretty sure I'd never be that much of a winter-cachey person. But never say never!

Winter scenery details from that find:

ea5d3d44-e763-4c5e-8908-94d31833584e.jpg

I'm in the same part of the world. Don't forget the amazing things happen in winter.

x/5 become x/1 (as we can now walk on water!!!)

You can also forget you GPS and find lots of caches by following the foot prints (if they were cachers before you)

Get and live Snow is great!!

I live in a slightly (but not much) less frigid location than the OP, but an area that gets much more snowfall. My stats tell me I find most caches in December (and on Sunday, not that that matters). I do like caching in the late fall, winter and early spring much better, although I do tend to throw in the towel with a foot or more of snow on the ground. Add that I ignore most urban micros, so I ain't lifting skirts or pulling keyholders off of stop signs when there's a foot of snow.

We don't cache much in the Winter.

These days many use plastic, so we'd stand a chance of breaking 'em.

- But the AT in the Winter, the views are awesome.

Ooooh, I didn't even consider what type of container might not work in the winter to find. Thanks for the tip! Uuuuhh... what's AT?

Appalachian Trail.

Ooooh, I didn't even consider what type of container might not work in the winter to find. Thanks for the tip! Uuuuhh... what's AT?

I assume that it's the Appalachian Trail. I live in a place where it's very cold in the winter as well. It's a good time to travel somewhere closer to the equator.

Will probably be caching less in the winter. It's the first winter of my geocaching 'career' though, so don't have any historical stats for winter. It's not the temperature that's problematic, it's the rain. Headed out for one a few days ago and ended up turning back for home after a foot sunk into a mud hole before reaching GZ. I'm hoping that winter will keep muggles away from some caches that I haven't attempted because there are usually too many people around, and I also plan to work on puzzle caches so I'll have the coords to attempt them when the weather improves.

Would you want to miss this?

Short answer yes.

Just keep warm - clothes make the cacher. Sure, I like warmer weather too, but i'm not going to let the cold trap me indoors to get cabin fever or seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

I grew up around Chicago. I then lived in places where the bad weather collects in the gutter and runs down the sewer. You can have the snowy winter weather, I'll take my rain and fog. Much easier getting in the car and turning on the windshield wiper than scrapping ice.

Here on the NSW South Coast we don't get snow. Actually we haven't had a frost in the 20 years I've lived here. Winter caching weather is usually perfect.

However, it sometimes gets up to 43°C in Summer, just a few days a year, and I don't go anywhere then.

That's a nice summer day in the central valley of California.

I had some pretty memorable caching experiences in the middle of Winter while living in Anchorage, AK...sometimes I went out when it was -20 F. Good times, loved avoiding "walking" into the local moose population (they can really give you a scare when trampling through the shrubs and forest).

Edited by Uncle Alaska

I took these while caching in Minnesota during the winter. Would you want to miss this?

P1010015.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010014.jpg

Short answer yes.

Ditto :P

Honestly, I hate snow but pictures such as that make it a *bit* easier to take.

Winter caching can be absolutely beautiful. Just dress appropriately. Head, hands and feet are a must but personally, I wouldn't go out caching without snow pants. Unless you're doing urban caches and stay close to the car, you're probably going to be kneeling in snow and once your pants get wet, even on the balmy 30° days, you're pretty much done.

I have cached in the snow but I do not drive if I don't have to. Even if I or whomever I ride with is a good driver chances are some dodo bird with get stuck or crash and we will get stuck behind them. Washington drivers do not know how to drive in even 2 inches of snow. <_<

Yes, same in southern England. As snow is relatively rare - and when we do get some it doesn't tend to last long - cars don't have appropriate tires; snowploughs are rare; and only main routes are treated with sand/salt. In the rare occasion that we have snow; I'm happy to walk in it, but can't or don't want to drive to the trailhead. (And I've found all the caches walking distance from home). When it snows, my car stays put until the snow melts.

I'm aaaaalmost excited to try winter caching now! And you're right, I just heard about the proper clothing and layering from KnowsKelly. I guess I will have to start saving up for all the gear I'm going to need. :D :D :D

I can't emphasize the right clothing enough. Freezing hands or feet can ruin the experience - but they're avoidable. Heat packs can help too - buy at a box store, etc., not at a resort. If you're on the move, you do not need as heavy clothing as you'd think. For example, the parka I wore for the 4 degree F / -15 C weather feels terribly hot when hiking at 30 degrees F / 0 C. Yet if you were standing still waiting for a train or something, the parka might be fine at that temperature.

PS That was Whiteface Mt. (near Lake Placid) in the background of that photo.

I think you are exactly right about that. My experience will definitely be ruined right now. And your leafy picture is really cool! And see? That's the stuff a lot of people would never see if they don't get out there. Eh hem, like me....

I'm in the same part of the world. Don't forget the amazing things happen in winter.

x/5 become x/1 (as we can now walk on water!!!)

You can also forget you GPS and find lots of caches by following the foot prints (if they were cachers before you)

Get and live Snow is great!!

Walk on water! Bwahahaha! I LOVE that! I actually did that once a couple winters ago for the first (and last) time! I was a bit trepidatious.

I live in a slightly (but not much) less frigid location than the OP, but an area that gets much more snowfall. My stats tell me I find most caches in December (and on Sunday, not that that matters). I do like caching in the late fall, winter and early spring much better, although I do tend to throw in the towel with a foot or more of snow on the ground. Add that I ignore most urban micros, so I ain't lifting skirts or pulling keyholders off of stop signs when there's a foot of snow.

I'm impressed! Most of your caching is in December?! That's crazy talk. I was actually kinda thinking of leaving the skirt lifters for the winter months if I need my fix. Though it looks like there might be better views out there if I get the right gear.

I assume that it's the Appalachian Trail. I live in a place where it's very cold in the winter as well. It's a good time to travel somewhere closer to the equator.

I USED to live closer to the equator and did not like it one bit, but I lived there YEAR round. Now California would be another story....

Will probably be caching less in the winter. It's the first winter of my geocaching 'career' though, so don't have any historical stats for winter. It's not the temperature that's problematic, it's the rain. Headed out for one a few days ago and ended up turning back for home after a foot sunk into a mud hole before reaching GZ. I'm hoping that winter will keep muggles away from some caches that I haven't attempted because there are usually too many people around, and I also plan to work on puzzle caches so I'll have the coords to attempt them when the weather improves.

You just need your Wellies for those mud holes! :D :D :D

I'm going to try the puzzles, too. I've done a few, but the ones I tried in FL were painfully difficult. One was so difficult that only a few of us got it and then he shut it down.

Minnesota! The land of Gumpy old men, holes in the ice with somebody staring at it an saying here fishy

fishy. Snowmobiles, snowshoeing. Stay indoors you say? Hey it's only 30 below zero, what's a mile

hike at that temp? Just a walk in the park and some geocache.

You had me til you said "30 below zero, mile hike". I'm sorry, I have to draw the line somewhere!!

Would you want to miss this?

Short answer yes.

Just keep warm - clothes make the cacher. Sure, I like warmer weather too, but i'm not going to let the cold trap me indoors to get cabin fever or seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

I grew up around Chicago. I then lived in places where the bad weather collects in the gutter and runs down the sewer. You can have the snowy winter weather, I'll take my rain and fog. Much easier getting in the car and turning on the windshield wiper than scrapping ice.

Hey, now. Do I need to sit between you two? :) There's a little something out there for everyone! You like it warm? Move to Florida! You embrace the frosty temps? Stay in Minnesota! And keep teaching me the tricks of how to do that! That's really what this thread is meant to be. Teaching me (and possibly others) how to embrace and enjoy the 4th season. Not an argument about the best place to live.

Photo gallery from our 8 th annual ICE WALK event where participants can walk across the ice to get caches on a couple of islands

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gallery.aspx?guid=d3ff4a73-5e0f-4faf-9413-597a35f36053

So what you're trying to say is the trick to enjoying a Winter Caching Day is snowshoes and cake. Got it. Does it matter what kind of cake because I like chocolate. Or lemon. Or white. Or really any kind. :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, though, that looked like a fun and beautiful day!!

Here on the NSW South Coast we don't get snow. Actually we haven't had a frost in the 20 years I've lived here. Winter caching weather is usually perfect.

However, it sometimes gets up to 43°C in Summer, just a few days a year, and I don't go anywhere then.

Oh that sounds lovely! And I'll bet you have some awesome scenery there, too. Can't even imagine...