A Forgotten Cache?

LuLoo

There is a cache that is in walking distance of my house. I feel that it's no longer there. I've gone back repeatedly with other folks who cannot find it either. Here's the hitch in the giddyup. Among all the DNF's for the cache there are 3 "found it"s from folks who supposedly found this cache together as a group. One issue I have is that they posted their "found it"s weeks and even months after they said they found it with a copy and pasted log entry. It looks like they copied and pasted at least 30 other caches that day too. My problem isn't really even with them possibly falsifying finds, it's that darn little green arrow on my map so close to my house. My map is filled with smileys around my home except this one little guy that's totally mocking me at this point. I've tried to contact the owner a few months ago with no response. His profile says he hasn't logged on since February. I even reached out to two of the people that supposedly found it with no response there either. So, after all that I guess my real questions is how do I get that little green arrow off my map?

There is a cache that is in walking distance of my house. I feel that it's no longer there. I've gone back repeatedly with other folks who cannot find it either. Here's the hitch in the giddyup. Among all the DNF's for the cache there are 3 "found it"s from folks who supposedly found this cache together as a group. One issue I have is that they posted their "found it"s weeks and even months after they said they found it with a copy and pasted log entry. It looks like they copied and pasted at least 30 other caches that day too. My problem isn't really even with them possibly falsifying finds, it's that darn little green arrow on my map so close to my house. My map is filled with smileys around my home except this one little guy that's totally mocking me at this point. I've tried to contact the owner a few months ago with no response. His profile says he hasn't logged on since February. I even reached out to two of the people that supposedly found it with no response there either. So, after all that I guess my real questions is how do I get that little green arrow off my map?

Guess the only thing you can do if you really asume it is missing, and it's full of repeated DNF's, is adding a 'Needs maintainence' log? And then wait for the revieuwer to archive it

.. i guess

Post your own Found it log... :ph34r:

Or. Post Needs Maintenance, followed by Needs Archived if the CO doesn't respond.

Once the Needs Archived is posted, the reviewer may get involved. (They get a copy of the NA log, but not a NM log)

If the CO uses a phone, the site wont show them as logging in...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

1. Unsuccessful hunts for the cache should be reflected on the listing through "DNF" logs.

2. If enough DNF logs accumulate, and the cache owner takes no action, logging "Needs Maintenance" might attract the owner's attention to check on the cache and replace it if it is missing.

3. If a month or two pass with no response from the owner to the "Needs Maintenance" log, then consider logging "Needs Archived." The volunteer cache reviewer for the area will be alerted to the "Needs Archived" log (but NOT to any "Needs Maintenance" logs).

4. If supported by the record of logs on the cache listing, the reviewer will then disable the listing and ask the owner to fix the problem within a specified period of time (typically 2 to 4 weeks).

5. If there is no response from the owner after the passage of time, the reviewer will archive the listing.

1414645252[/url]' post='5443631']
1414620684[/url]' post='5443543']

Can't you just put it on your ignore list?

Could, but that is not how I would play it either. I would play as Keystone suggest in the above post.

DNF, NM, NA.

I agree. It's helps the caching community. Clears out abandoned caches. If it's a nice location it opens up an opportunity for a new cache.

Thank you all! I've definitely logged my DNFs so I will move onto the NM log next. And I didn't know that logging in with your phone didn't reflect on your account. So thank you for that too!

And yes I would like to place another cache in that area if this one is Archived.

Live Long and Cache my friends.

Edited by LuLoo

I would recommend posting a note before you go to the "needs archived". I had a cache that I chose a poor container to begin with. It also kept turning up missing even more than was reported on line. I disabled it while I thought of a solution, I found one but it was somewhat involved. It did take way too long to get it back up and going when I got a "needs archived" from someone who even to this day has not hidden a cache. My profile said that I hadn't logged in for some time but I got the e-mail and the wish was granted within a few days. Had he left a note saying what is the status here I would like to find this cache. It might reminded me that I had it to do and forced it up on the priority list.

Are you sure it isn't one of those devious hides?

I would recommend posting a note before you go to the "needs archived". I had a cache that I chose a poor container to begin with. It also kept turning up missing even more than was reported on line. I disabled it while I thought of a solution, I found one but it was somewhat involved. It did take way too long to get it back up and going when I got a "needs archived" from someone who even to this day has not hidden a cache. My profile said that I hadn't logged in for some time but I got the e-mail and the wish was granted within a few days. Had he left a note saying what is the status here I would like to find this cache. It might reminded me that I had it to do and forced it up on the priority list.

It sounds like the Needs Archived reminded you just as well as a note would have, if not better.

Nothing you've said here explains why you object to using Needs Archived when a cache isn't being fixed, a conclusion I think most of us would draw given what you describe. If you had, in fact, lost interest, the NA would be exactly right, and how's the seeker supposed to know that's not the case? And even in a case like this where you're still planning on fixing the cache (a case which, frankly, is kinda rare), all it takes is for you to respond to the NA by posting a note of your own explaining that you're still working on it and giving an estimated time of completion.

And I find it rather annoying that you question this person's decision based on the fact that they haven't hidden any caches. That's completely irrelevant and insulting, as if hiding a cache grants people special insight into evaluating whether a cache has problems.

We're talking about a case where the conclusion is not in question.

1. Unsuccessful hunts for the cache should be reflected on the listing through "DNF" logs.

2. If enough DNF logs accumulate, and the cache owner takes no action, logging "Needs Maintenance" might attract the owner's attention to check on the cache and replace it if it is missing.

3. If a month or two pass with no response from the owner to the "Needs Maintenance" log, then consider logging "Needs Archived." The volunteer cache reviewer for the area will be alerted to the "Needs Archived" log (but NOT to any "Needs Maintenance" logs).

4. If supported by the record of logs on the cache listing, the reviewer will then disable the listing and ask the owner to fix the problem within a specified period of time (typically 2 to 4 weeks).

5. If there is no response from the owner after the passage of time, the reviewer will archive the listing.

Who let the dogs out?

And, working the other way, if YOU posted a Note to say what was happening, those looking at the cache know YOU have not forgotten about it. :)

What has not hiding a cache have to do with anything?

You don't log in "for some time", yet you didn't post an "owner maintenance" log or at the very least a note to your cache page?

A "needs archived" log finally got you in action.

Don't shoot the messenger, eh?

B.

What has not hiding a cache have to do with anything?

You don't log in "for some time", yet you didn't post an "owner maintenance" log or at the very least a note to your cache page?

A "needs archived" log finally got you in action.

Don't shoot the messenger, eh?

B.

+1

1414645252[/url]' post='5443631']
1414620684[/url]' post='5443543']

Can't you just put it on your ignore list?

Could, but that is not how I would play it either. I would play as Keystone suggest in the above post.

DNF, NM, NA.

I agree. It's helps the caching community. Clears out abandoned caches. If it's a nice location it opens up an opportunity for a new cache.

I agree on the DNF, NM and later an NA, but the OP's question was simply, "So, after all that I guess my real questions is how do I get that little green arrow off my map?".

The stages of archiving a cache could take some time, while ignore is immediate.

I never said that I was guiltless in the affair. The cache was deactivated for way too long. When the Needs Archived deal came across I took it as the individual wanted to place a cache in the area if I was not going to get it up and running. That has not happened by the individual or anyone else for that matter. Yes, the needs archived stirred me to action. If his goal was to get me to fix it, so he could find it, his mission failed. If he was just annoyed by seeing a disabled cache repeatedly in his searches...... mission accomplished. I'm just saying that a note would be received differently than a needs archived. It is all good.

I never said that I was guiltless in the affair. The cache was deactivated for way too long. When the Needs Archived deal came across I took it as the individual wanted to place a cache in the area if I was not going to get it up and running. That has not happened by the individual or anyone else for that matter. Yes, the needs archived stirred me to action. If his goal was to get me to fix it, so he could find it, his mission failed. If he was just annoyed by seeing a disabled cache repeatedly in his searches...... mission accomplished. I'm just saying that a note would be received differently than a needs archived. It is all good.

Why would you assume that someone wanted that location to hide a cache? Maybe they just wanted to know if it was worthwhile looking for it.

It sounds like you are taking this whole thing way too personally.

Archive

08/09/2008

Not quite a year by the calendar that I use. Few visit a cache that requires more than driving by anyway. Your wish is granted grandpa kim.

Needs Archived

08/06/2008

This one has been out of commission for a year. Isn't it about time to fix or archive it?

Temporarily Disable Listing

11/11/2007

First stop is missing will replace soon.

B.

I couldn't think of any other reason that someone would come in from out of the blue (no previous contact) with a needs archived log. Of course the message he typed was spot on. Yes, the needs archived made me mad. That is exactly my point. A note saying the same thing would have been received differently in my case. As mentioned above it may be rare I don't know.

I couldn't think of any other reason that someone would come in from out of the blue (no previous contact) with a needs archived log.
Maybe seeing a cache "temporarily" disabled for months simply irked him/her.

Or maybe past NM logs that received no response indicated to him/her that it was time for the next step (a NA log).

I couldn't think of any other reason that someone would come in from out of the blue (no previous contact) with a needs archived log.

It's really simple: the other reason you overlooked was that he thought it needed archived. You have to go a looong way to overlook that possibility.

Yes, the needs archived made me mad. That is exactly my point. A note saying the same thing would have been received differently in my case.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I suggest you knock it off. A needs archived means they think it needs archived. It's not a reflection on you or your ownership abilities, it's just a matter of fact. If they're wrong, all you have to do it prove it. There's no justification for getting mad about it or doubting he was acting in good faith.

If his goal was to get me to fix it, so he could find it, his mission failed. If he was just annoyed by seeing a disabled cache repeatedly in his searches...... mission accomplished.

His goal was to point out to a reviewer that there's reason to think the cache needs to be archived. While this does happen to provide input to you, normally a needs archived isn't trying to get the owner to do anything because the presumption is that the owner already has all the necessary information and has made whatever decision he's going to make. On the other hand, there's no reason to think the reviewer has noticed the cache and its problems, so the needs archived points it out.