Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tante.Hossi

Alpine Coaster, Alpine Slide, Toboggan Run

23 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of a new category for Alpine Coster, Alpine, Slide, Toboggan Run or how this kind of funny thing is called.

Do you know what i'm talking about?

Here are some examples:

wikipedia: Alpine Slide

wikipedia: Sommerrodelbahnen

Rodelcounter Worldmap

I don't know an existing category to put this things into. If they run on tracks like the Alpine Costers do, they are acceppted at roller costers category. But the others are rejected.

I think this things are cool. And they are global!

What do you think?

Tricky!

I do like them - even if I would not, my kids would force me to do. And I think they all deserve to have a category.

But the problem is, that some of them already have a category. I don't know the relations in a global scope, but in the area I know, it is only a small minority, that is not already covered.

In this situation, it will be very difficult to bring them through peer review. But maybe worth the effort. What about the overlap with Roller Coasters? Or would the Roller Coaster category managers be willing to extend their category?

Another existing category that may be relevant is Sledding Places.

If they will be accepted here, there is no need for new category. Good catch! I will need to remember to waymark one here in Bratislava. #iconhunting :rolleyes:

#iconhunting

^That's how I learned of the sledding category! :laughing:

We call them Bobsleds in Australia & they are a Summer activity, being steel tracked. They're mainly in Theme Parks although there is one at Thredbo in the Snowy Mountains, open once the snow has melted. I had a look at Sledding Places & this appears to be a Winter activity, although the use of the word 'typically' in the description may present an opportunity to submit a bobsled or alpine slide.

I asked at the Sledding Places Category - just waiting for an answer.

Winter Sports Locations category may also be a possibility. Despite its general title, however, the description seems to limit this to skiing and snowboarding locations.

OK I did some more research about this topic.

I have figured out the following:

• If the coaster runs on tracks it will be accepted at the Roller Coasters category. Otherwise not.
  • If the slide runs on snow it will be accepted at the Sledding Places category.
  • We do not have a category to put in the Toboggans, Bobsleighs and Alpine Slides.

I think this kind of attractions need a category! So I want to create a new one.

Who is interested in becomming an officer??

Links to wikipedia:

I try to make some kind of definition what I'm talking about ... :anibad:

The [Toboggans,] Bobsleighs and Alpine Slides usually run on small wheels or skids downhill a long chute on the side of a hill only powered by gravity. The speed is regulated by brakes. They do not run on tracks.

The chutes are usually made of concrete, steel or fibreglass which can be covered with ice (usually for the bobsleighs). The chutes are no closed circled tracks.

They have seats for one, two or four passengers. Some can be used by amateurs, others (especially the bobsleighs) but can only be driven by professional athletes.

I don't know an existing category to put this things into. If they run on tracks like the Alpine Costers do, they are acceppted at roller costers category. But the others are rejected.

I think this things are cool. And they are global!

What do you think?

Global? You mean, global in Switzerland? :-) Know many in Africa, Southeast Asia, Middle East, Central America, South America, Southern Europe? Snow and mountains are not global, actually. Not saying I would vote against it, but global they are not.

@Torgut: Thanks for your responce!

I do not see any problem with the global criteria! The category is not limited to a specific area by its definition! So it is global.

OK, the Bobsleighs might not exist everywhere, but the Alpine Slide could! Did you see the list at the linked wikipedia entry? And I'm sure there are more world wide.

Global? You mean, global in Switzerland? :-) Know many in Africa, Southeast Asia, Middle East, Central America, South America, Southern Europe? Snow and mountains are not global, actually. Not saying I would vote against it, but global they are not.

They are Global. They are not dependant on snow .. just any slope. Slopes are Global (even it's hard to believe it in Denmark :laughing: ).

They are Global. They are not dependant on snow .. just any slope. Slopes are Global (even it's hard to believe it in Denmark :laughing: ).

Not just any slope - an Alpine slope. According to the quoted Wiki there is only one in Australia so the global & prevalence criteria aren't met. Leave out Alpine & then any coaster, slide or bobsled on any slope has potential.

Not just any slope - an Alpine slope. According to the quoted Wiki there is only one in Australia so the global & prevalence criteria aren't met. Leave out Alpine & then any coaster, slide or bobsled on any slope has potential.

If I wouldn't know you're just joking, I would argue that "alpine" is just name like "french fries" (are not served in France exclusivelly), or "olympic stadium" (can be located outside of Olympia, Greece). And there are things, really existing ones, even when they are not listed on wikipedia. :rolleyes:

Global does not mean, it has to be everywhere. This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the criterion. If something is not restricted to one area, then it is global. It does not have to exist in every single continent, even less in every single country. Just a sufficient number. This idea is totally global in the sense of the review criterion.

But I have something else. Maybe there are too different locations included in the idea at the moment. I start thinking, that slopes for professional winter sport competitions do not fit well to the rest. Maybe this should be a recreational category, for places with general access to the untrained public. It's just an aspect to consider, I support the idea, regardless of your decision.

If I wouldn't know you're just joking, I would argue that "alpine" is just name like "french fries" (are not served in France exclusivelly), or "olympic stadium" (can be located outside of Olympia, Greece). And there are things, really existing ones, even when they are not listed on wikipedia. :rolleyes:

If the word Alpine is retained then there is only one bobsled in Australia - no joke.

Alpine is an adjective, just like canine. Canine means anything dog-like. Alpine means any thing mountainous.

(However, Peavine does not mean something that peeves people. It just means that someone forgot a space between Pea and vine. Which could be peevine...)

I'm still interested in a category for Bobsleighs and Mountain Slides (changed the term to be more clear).

I have created a group: Bobsleighs and Mountain Slides

I still think this would be a good addition to our existing categories.

Still working on this idea. A first category draft has been created yet.

We worked hard on this category.

It's in Peer Review now. Please vote!

Yeah, please vote! (the right vote!!) :anibad:

This new category idea has passed Peer Review! Thanks for voting!

It's accessable since a few minutes and the first Waymark has already been posted and reviewed.

We're looking on for more submissions. Ready to have some fun in the mountains.