Important Annual Dates in Geocaching

Lady Nomad

This is my first time posting in the forum, so bear with me. Also, if this topic was listed somewhere else, I didn't find it. It is possible to have TOO big of a forum and topics.

I just want to know where I can find a list of the important annual dates in Geocaching... For example: International Geocaching Day, International Earth Cache Day, etc. I would have thought they would have the list somewhere on Geocaching.com, on the events page, but no. Anyone know where I can get this info? Thanks.

This is my first time posting in the forum, so bear with me. Also, if this topic was listed somewhere else, I didn't find it. It is possible to have TOO big of a forum and topics.

I just want to know where I can find a list of the important annual dates in Geocaching... For example: International Geocaching Day, International Earth Cache Day, etc. I would have thought they would have the list somewhere on Geocaching.com, on the events page, but no. Anyone know where I can get this info? Thanks.

I've never seen an official list and those are the only official "days" that I've seen. I don't recall the topic ever coming before either. There are, however, a few annual events that occur the same time of the year but not necessarily on an official day. Geowoodstock occurs annually, as does the Groundspeak Block Party. There are also the WWFM events (world wide flash mob....not geocaching specific) that typically have geocaching related flash mobs all over the world, as well as regional events that have been happening annually for many years.

I think the answer is

International Geocaching Day: 3rd Saturday of August

International EarthCaching day: 1st Saturday of October

Not quite.

I believe you have International Geocaching Day correct. I could have sworn there was a Help Center article that covered that, but I can't find one now. I'm sure it's there somewhere and the flaky search function just can't find it.

International EarthCache Day is on the first Sunday of Earth Science Week. In 2014 this was October 12th, and in 2015 it will be October 11th.

The first Block Party in 2011 was held in July, but since then it has coincided with International Geocaching Day.

The only other regularly-scheduled day I can think of is CITO weekend. The timing of this is related to Earth Day. The first year (2013) this was held over 3 days (April 20-22), ending on Earth Day. In 2014 and 2015, it seems to be the weekend following Earth Day, which is held on April 22 (2014: April 26/27; 2015: April 25/26).

There are other annually-held events (WWFM, various Mega events), but the timing seems more random and may not be able to be predicted in advance. You'd just have to wait until the official date has been announced.

Another date that a lot of people observe is the anniversary of geocaching - May 3, 2000. It was the day the first cache was placed.

I try and go out caching on that day.

That makes me realize - this coming May it will have been 15 years, which is a pretty cool anniversary.

Edited by Ambrosia

I think the answer is

International EarthCaching day: 1st Saturday of October

Not quite.

I believe you have International Geocaching Day correct. I could have sworn there was a Help Center article that covered that, but I can't find one now. I'm sure it's there somewhere and the flaky search function just can't find it.

International EarthCache Day is on the first Sunday of Earth Science Week. In 2014 this was October 12th, and in 2015 it will be October 11th.

OK, correction:

International EarthCaching day: 1st Sunday of of Earth Science Week

International CITO weekend: Near Earth Day

Another date that a lot of people observe is the anniversary of geocaching - May 3, 2000. It was the day the first cache was placed.

I try and go out caching on that day.

That makes me realize - this coming May it will have been 15 years, which is a pretty cool anniversary.

I remember the 10th anniversary; they (Groundspeak?) managed to get Dave Ulmer to come onto the forums and chat with us. That was pretty cool.

On 12/22/2020 at 4:38 PM, DARKSIDEDAN said:

Here in Australia we also have events for the following:

May 4th - Star Wars Day

September 19th - International Talk Like a Pirate Day

November 14th 

March 14th - PI Day

June - World Wide Flash Mob

December 23rd - Festivus

What's the significance of Nov 14?

10 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

What's the significance of Nov 14?

That's what I'm wondering.

NOV 14 SUNDAY

Children's Day

Diwali

Naraka Chaturdashi

National Pickle Day

National Pupusa Day

World Diabetes Day

None of those look particularly geocaching event-worthy to me.

Edited by TmdAndGG
Clarification