Release Notes - October 28, 2014

Read the previous Release Notes

Release Notes

A few quick updates from Geocaching HQ:

You might consider setting up some HTTP redirects:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/93633?hl=en

And the Account Settings page doesn't set the main page background. The user's default background may or may not work with the colors the page specifies elsewhere.

Edited by niraD

When will the problem with the continuously changing language setting be solved, please?????

In my profile I change the language to Dutch and I save.

After a while the website is set in English again. This happens several times a day which means that when you save your local language it isn't saved at all.

I already addressed this problem many times before for the last 3 years, but nothing changes. Isn't this a problem worth while looking for???

When will the problem with the continuously changing language setting be solved, please?????

After a while the website is set in English again. This happens several times a day which means that when you save your local language it isn't saved at all.

I already addressed this problem many times before for the last 3 years, but nothing changes. Isn't this a problem worth while looking for???

I'm guessing that you run c:geo on an Android device. It has been identified as the factor responsible for such changes to your language settings.

I'm guessing that you run c:geo on an Android device. It has been identified as the factor responsible for such changes to your language settings.

Using c:geo on my Android device causes that problem on my desktop pc? Even when the app isn't used for months?

Edited by RHCV

Using c:geo on my Android device causes that problem on my desktop pc? Even when the app isn't used for months?

Yes, every incident we have investigated of this has led back to the user running c:geo. If that doesn't seem like the case in your situation, please lodge a report via the Help Center so that our support team can investigate your scenario.

In the mean while I gathered some information on different Facebook geocaching groups. A lot of people have the same problem and they don't even use c:geo.

2.5 years ago I adressed the problem. I got the answer that minor bug fixes where something for later. 2.5 years later the problem still occurs.

Very strange that now the answer would be a different program!? Especially when that program isn't used.

If the language selection issue is thought to be a bug by geocachers who do not use the unauthorized c:geo application then there should be a separate bug report thread in this forum section. Or, as Moun10Bike noted, users can write in to Geocaching HQ through the Help Center.

In any event, since language choice was not a subject addressed by the current release, this isn't the place to discuss the issue.

1. Is this new?

8d296bf3-449b-4cfa-98da-22c3cdf53531.jpg

On this page at least - and maybe others; I haven't checked - if you make the window narrower than a certain amount, the "standard" box with your info becomes a different, mostly hidden box. As you adjust the window smaller and smaller, it automatically adjusts the box to the exact same - but wrong - position.

Firefox 33.0 for Linux Mint.

2. Speaking of that standard box - not shown here, it's the one with the new "gear" icon - could you possibly add a word like "Settings" next to the icon? It sure is hard to find the settings if you're scanning the screen for words to that effect. (Did any credible UI guru say words are now out of fashion?)

Thank you.

Maybe it is boring, but

Where is the 'List newest caches in <HomeZone>' ?

Does it came back?

I miss it very hard... The list include also Events in my Homezone ... That was very usefull!

I found many informations in other threads, but no final decission.

OlePinguin from Berlin (state id ???)

Maybe it is boring, but

Where is the 'List newest caches in <HomeZone>' ?

Does it came back?

I miss it very hard... The list include also Events in my Homezone ... That was very usefull!

I found many informations in other threads, but no final decission.

OlePinguin from Berlin (state id ???)

In a thread requesting the return of this feature, this reply was posted:

This feature will not be returning. See my explanation here. For full transparency, the link was not supposed to be removed until the profile overhaul that is underway was complete, but it was accidentally eliminated prematurely.

Note that the "Your GPS" setting will also be removed with the upcoming overhaul.

B.

Release notes say:

•Legacy usernames of 20+ characters no longer block ability to change account settings.

But I am unable to update my profile with my 24 character username of "Yosemite John and Debbie"

This issue regressed and will be fixed again next Tuesday when we release a site update.