New Cache Location Problem

Placed a cache for the first time with my 6 year old. Tried to log it online when we got home and it is listed as unavailable. Any way to change this? She's going to want to go back and check on it so I can't move it easily.

J

What do you mean "...listed as unavailable"?

Do you mean that you cannot access it through the website?

Perhaps you mean that the particular location is unavailable?

Maybe geocaching.com is "unavailable" at this particular time?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Thanks for the quick replies.

Terminology saying "logged" might have been misleading. I tried to create a new one. Trekked out with the kid, she picked the spot and we planted our cache. First time out and she was into it. I tried to create it online when we got home and it's saying, from what I'm reading, that it's too close to another one.

J

Terminology saying "logged" might have been misleading. I tried to create a new one. Trekked out with the kid, she picked the spot and we planted our cache. First time out and she was into it. I tried to create it online when we got home and it's saying, from what I'm reading, that it's too close to another one.

J

Oh that's much clearer now. If it's too close to another one, you'll have to move it.

Maybe you should try finding a few caches before you hide one.

What NanCycle says, isn't being rude, either.

Most all will suggest that you find some BEFORE attempting to place one. Placing a cache may seem like a simple thing, but it isn't -- not at all. There are lots of guidelines regarding cache placements. Many stumble (a few times) in trying to place one for listing.

The more you find before trying to hide one at least presents you with some ideas on how to go about it -- then too, there are those guidelines that keep confronting you.

If you haven't yet read those guidelines, please allow me to present them to you: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx .

J

Did you try moving it? :rolleyes:

Most all will suggest that you find some BEFORE attempting to place one. Placing a cache may seem like a simple thing, but it isn't -- not at all. There are lots of guidelines regarding cache placements. Many stumble (a few times) in trying to place one for listing.

The more you find before trying to hide one at least presents you with some ideas on how to go about it -- then too, there are those guidelines that keep confronting you.

If you haven't yet read those guidelines, please allow me to present them to you: http://www.geocachin...guidelines.aspx .

Yes. What NanCycle and Gitchee-Gummee said. It's more complex than it seems.

Most of us recommend that you get "a bunch" of finds first, before trying to place a cache. What most of us don't agree on is the exact number of "a bunch".

Personally, I wouldn't bother to try to place a cache until you've found at least a dozen (that's my minimum "a bunch"), and better yet, at least 25.

Read the guidelines on placing a cache several times. Once after you found your first 5, then another time after you've found your first 10, then another time after you've found your first 15, and then ....

Edit: It looks like I found 36 caches before I placed my first cache. I didn't remember exactly, but I just looked it up in my statistics.

Edited by MountainWoods

If you haven't yet read those guidelines, please allow me to present them to you: http://www.geocachin...guidelines.aspx .

Yes. What NanCycle and Gitchee-Gummee said. It's more complex than it seems.

Most of us recommend that you get "a bunch" of finds first, before trying to place a cache. What most of us don't agree on is the exact number of "a bunch".

Personally, I wouldn't bother to try to place a cache until you've found at least a dozen (that's my minimum "a bunch"), and better yet, at least 25.

Read the guidelines on placing a cache several times. Once after you found your first 5, then another time after you've found your first 10, then another time after you've found your first 15, and then ....

Edit: It looks like I found 36 caches before I placed my first cache. I didn't remember exactly, but I just looked it up in my statistics.

One of the reasons that a specific number isn't appropriate is that it would effectively prevent the development of the game in some places. There was recent a post here from someone that lives in Lusaka, Zambia that wanted to place some caches. He said that there are currently 3 caches in Lusaka (the next closest is 38 miles away). I'm going to be in a city next week where the nearest cache is 150 miles away.

Contrast that with what was described in other thread where some had logged 20-30 "finds" on a cache after "finding" a bunch of temporary caches placed 200-300' apart associated with an event (I'm not convinced that everyone logging finds were even in the same State) and a fixed number of finds before placing a cache is meaningless.

IF GS ever did enforce such a requirement the result would be that it would be relatively easy to meet the criteria if one lived in a place which already has a lot of caches but very difficult for someone to qualify in places which could use more geocaches.

Placed a cache for the first time with my 6 year old. Tried to log it online when we got home and it is listed as unavailable. Any way to change this? She's going to want to go back and check on it so I can't move it easily.

J

At age 6 she is old enough to learn rules are there for a reason and as disappointing as it will be to move it, it's a good time to teach how to accept it and move forward. Prep work is necessary in life.

It will make it that much more special to her when you figure out a place that works. I cache with my daughter and she likes hiding them more then finding them. We have ran into many problems with caches we thought were special but we also have fun going and moving them or doing what ever we have to and make them work. It is all part of the game. And don't feel like it just happened to you two because you are new it happens to all of us even with experience.