Earthcache master

Infra-Blue

Hello,

I have a little question on Earthcache masters and was not able to find any answer on Google.

It is said that being an Earthcache master Silver level require to "Visit and log six (6) or more Earthcaches in three (3) or more states/countries [...]".

My question is : what is considered to be a state ?

I understand that there is states in the U.S.A, but as a french, I'd like to know if the regions of France are considered as states or not ?

If we consider that the 22 regions of France are states, I match the criterias, if not, I don't match the criterias.

Thanks for reading and for your answers ;)

I would say US States only and countries for the rest of the world. Would be hardly a challenge to log ECs in three departements.

The GSA accepts Bundeslaender in Germany and Austria, so I guess the same applies to France as the departements are regarded.

Of course it is not challenging, but that never appears to have been a goal of the GSA.

Back when they still sent out the pins for free, there has been a big rush in some European countries to hide 1-3 ECs by people with no real interest into geology

as the hiding requirement was the requirement harder to meet than the finding requirement.

Edited by cezanne

Thank you for your answers !

To make short, french (and european) regions are considered as "states" by Groundspeak and Earthcache.org.

But visiting different countries is more challenging and "valuable" for the status.

Anyway, every cacher do what he consider better to obtain the status :)

Edited by Infra-Blue

After receiving similar questions from Canadian cachers, GSA recently (just last month) updated the info on the EarthCache Masters page to say:

"Silver EarthCache Master

Visit and log six (6) or more EarthCaches in three (3) or more <b>states/provinces/countries</b> and have developed one (1) or more EarthCaches."

We define "states/provinces" as defined by Geocaching.com on pages such as this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=73

So when France is chosen as the country, the states/provinces box shows a list of what I assume are the "regions".

Thus GSA considers these regions to be valid "states/provinces" for the purpose of the Masters program.

So go get your Silver award!! :)

--Matt, GeoawareHQ