How do I report a cache that breaks guidelines?

GeoNutter

On the cache's page, where you log your finds, there are other options besides "Found It". "Needs Archive" is one of those options. Post a Needs Archive and explain in your log exactly what's wrong with the cache. The NA log will alert your local reviewer who will take care of it from there.

So what guideline is the cache in violation of?

I haven't examined this particular situation, but it makes sense to me. If the guideline-breaking geocache is causing trouble for someone who is not (yet) a geocacher, they may want to register and post such a question in the forums; so that they can handle the situation with the guideline-breaking cache. They don't need any finds. They only need to be a victim of someone else's poor planning.

Like I say, I don't know if that is the issue here. But it makes sense that their own statistics might not show any geocaching activity.

Edited by MountainWoods

I would contact the reviewer as the hider may have received permission to place the cache, depending on the violation.

There's a woman around here who dug a 3X5 hole for a Halloween themed cache, but the hole was on her own property. She didn't mind, so the reviewer let it stand.

Well, anyone who's a stickler for the guidelines would say that still is not allowed - whether or not she had "permission" is not the point.

I would contact the reviewer as the hider may have received permission to place the cache, depending on the violation.

There's a woman around here who dug a 3X5 hole for a Halloween themed cache, but the hole was on her own property. She didn't mind, so the reviewer let it stand.

I realize that the reviewers do have some leeway and can make certain exceptions where appropriate. However, I don't think this should have been allowed, even if it is on her property. It gives cachers (especially impressionable new cachers who aren't familiar with the guidelines) the misconception that it's OK to bury caches. It just sends the wrong message.

I realize that the reviewers do have some leeway and can make certain exceptions where appropriate. However, I don't think this should have been allowed, even if it is on her property. It gives cachers (especially impressionable new cachers who aren't familiar with the guidelines) the misconception that it's OK to bury caches. It just sends the wrong message.

Agree completely. There are too many cases of buried caches where it says on the cache page "We saw a cache like this and thought it was so cool that we wanted to make one ourselves." And theirs is not in their own yard, but out off of a highway or in a State Park.