Special cache in Canterbury

It will remain hidden untill 24/10/201 . 5:00am !

??????????

If you mean it is to be hidden for one day (24/10/2014)...

That would seem to be a blatant violation of the Permanency guideline.

Geocache Permanence

Geocaches are placed for the long term.

Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

It will remain hidden untill 24/10/201 . 5:00am !

??????????

If you mean it is to be hidden for one day (24/10/2014)...

That would seem to be a blatant violation of the Permanency guideline.

Geocache Permanence

Geocaches are placed for the long term.

Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

I sometimes wonder if the Reviewers have read the cache page before hitting the "Publish" button, all to easy to do as I know well (!), but in this instance it might have saved a lot of frustration. Originally it would appear the cache was published and then temped because it became obvious it had not been placed - however the statement relating to an exceptionally short life span ought to have been picked up and publication refused.

As much as I'm against a rule of having a minimum number of finds before you can hide a cache, I do feel there should be some requirement of being a member for a time, and having found some caches, before you can hide... :unsure:

Yep, its an argument which has been thrashed to death but I couldn't agree more. I've said this loads of times but I'm afraid we may be in the minority (on here anyway) with this opinion B&R.

I sometimes wonder if the Reviewers have read the cache page before hitting the "Publish" button, all to easy to do as I know well (!), but in this instance it might have saved a lot of frustration. Originally it would appear the cache was published and then temped because it became obvious it had not been placed - however the statement relating to an exceptionally short life span ought to have been picked up and publication refused.

The reviewer didn't necessarily have all the information. Just like the reviewer didn't know the cache was not in place until people went looking for it.

The cache page could have been changed after publication.

The cache hider didn't say anything on the cache page about it being available for only one day.

http://coord.info/GC5F21H

This is a special geocache! The first to find it will be surprised a lot...

This cache is special, so if you want to find it you have to be accurate and act smart! A big surprise awaits the first one to find it! The cache will be placed at 23/10/2014 5:00am. Stand in the given coordinates and hear... To find it you'll have to follow the music! The container is a small taper-ware well hidden. Be cautious! Good luck...

PS. My apologies to the people went searching the cache at the given date, due to health issues I wasn't able to place the cache on time. I will place it soon and I'll let you know..

B.

The description was changed after publication and so the reviewer was unaware that this was not placed at the time of publication - in fact it was apparently changed a few times post publication.

Minimum no. of finds before being allowed to place a cache - this one strengthens that argument - though I did wonder whether this was a sock puppet account, initially. My views may have changed since.

Also, suggestions that it was only hidden for a day - I dont think that was the intention but after the furore of it not being in place at the mentioned time and then not being there again the CO (!!) archived it - it was never there let alone for one day ;-)

Tim

Edited by Deepdiggingmole

I don't believe the poster is a Sock. (S)he posted here three times regarding GPSr/phone short while ago.

I think just a one-hide/no find wonder.

Found their way to the forums, but probably not the geocaching guidelines.

I agree, the cache page was probably edited (a few times), perhaps even an out-and-out "fib" about being sick was to why the cache wasn't in place -- the submission page requires checking a box regarding that fact, does it not?

As the cache page stands at the moment, the short time to find aside, it looks to me more like a mystery cache than a trad. If the OP is still around, and as another version of this cache will probably not be published again, I would be interested in learning what was supposed to happen with this cache.

If it had to have a really short life span due to using batteries to run something in it (random guessing by me), and the idea is a good one, maybe the idea could be used as a Lab Cache for one of the Megas?