How to do a mini geocache 1 day hunt for Cub Scouts

SteamingTrails

Hello everyone. I have just recently discovered geocaching for myself, although I have heard others talking about it. What a very cool community you have going! So aside from going out and hunting for stuff with my family, I wanted to be able to host a mini geocache session for my Cub Scouts.

I don't have much of a budget if any, to work with, and was looking for your recommendations on how to pull this off.

These would be temp caches that would be setup not meant for the general public, just for a 1 day event.

I am planning on making a map to find the final prize, but the map is going to be separated into 5 pieces, those pieces will be the actual caches. Once all the pieces are found, the map is put together and leads to our big stash for our afternoon hotdog cookout.

So, my question, what would be the best way to create the temporary caches and enable the parents to get an app on the phone so they can go find them?

Thanks everyone!

Rather than try to get parents to add an app they'll rarely (if ever) use and since temporary caches aren't allowed, how about a simple scavenger hunt?

You could just create some private caches and provide written descriptions and clues, which could be followed without gps.

Print 'em out and distribute them to the parents.

- After all the fresh air (and maybe some prizes?)and your cookout, a simple explanation/seminar-like thing could be used to explain geocaching for those interested on a later date (and after you find a few yourself).

Rather than try to get parents to add an app they'll rarely (if ever) use and since temporary caches aren't allowed, how about a simple scavenger hunt?

You could just create some private caches and provide written descriptions and clues, which could be followed without gps.

- After all the fresh air (and maybe some prizes?)and your cookout, a simple explanation/seminar-like thing could be used to explain geocaching for those interested on a later date (and after you find a few yourself).

Is orientation still a badge or did it get eliminated?

Map reading skills are a good place to start, not just for geocaching but for anyone.

Is orientation still a badge or did it get eliminated?

Map reading skills are a good place to start, not just for geocaching but for anyone.

Boy Scouts, not sure about cubs, who are generally 7-10 years old.

As others have said, temp caches are not published here. Map and compass skills are taught to Cubs at all ranks, with the complexity and skill level determined by age. You could place your 5 map puzzle pieces and give a printed sheet with age/rank appropriate clues.... Webelos get GPS coordinates, younger boys get clues with bearing and distance, etc. Go with the scavenger hunt/orienteering theme to make it happen.

I must echo what is already posted regarding temporary caches and the like.

Will add too, how in the world could conceivably teach somebody about geocaching, when you have signed on today and not done it yourself?

... unless you are posting in these forums as a sock-puppet.

If you can imagine what geocaching is, or is like, then you could probably imagine setting up a scavenger hunt... it would be with less fraught with troubles and roadblocks than trying to do geocaches as they are known.

Good afternoon all, thanks for your replies.

I am somewhat new to the game, and yes, I just signed up for the forum. I was simply looking for direction to see if it was possible to setup a temporary session. I appreciate everyone's feedback, and ideas, and will see if I can turn this into a scavenger hunt.

These are for cub scouts, so ages 5-12. The Boy Scouts have merit badges, but as far as Cub Scouts, this is just something to get them outside and spending time with their family and friends.

My aim was to try and provide something were I could get both the parents and the boys interested in going out and geocaching as a family in the future.

If anyone else has ideas on how to do a localized private cache where I can simply enter the lat/long into an app and have the boys follow the arrow let me know.

Thanks again!

Edited by SteamingTrails

Past Cub Master and current Boy Scout Assistant Scout Master and of course avid Geocacher as well as Geocaching Merit Badge Counselor.

You may have better luck reaching out to those with an actual GPS receiver.

In our area, the libraries have some as well as the county conservation folks...both have individual units and typically enjoy doing a beginning program.

For both our Pack and Troop, we avoided the app and actually taught the proper use of a GPS receiver...skills they are going to likely encounter later on in scouting.

When we have done this type of activity we put the call out for GPS receivers from parents, the groups I mentioned above and were able to come up with plenty.

We used Google Earth for an overhead view and provided a list of coordinates for the temporary locations.

We divided into teams and away we went...worked fine.

After caching for a number of years, our family has placed permanent caches that work well for our scouting adventures.

However, this was only after we really understand geocaching.

Teaching the proper way to geocache is important too.

The geocaching merit badge pamphlet also provides some good information that is both fun and educational.

Like any game / hobby / activity there are guidelines and best practices...always a good idea to get those handled before going too far down the road.

Good Luck on your adventure...don't forget Leave no Trace as well!

Happy Caching! - hawkeyetob

That sounds great! Thanks for the advice. I am certainly a CM that teaches the outdoor code, and respecting personal and private property, and this will certainly help to enforce what we teach. I will be reaching out for some stand alone units and make a go of it.

Thanks for your volunteer efforts to Scouting; remember only an hour a week :)

Take care all

Good afternoon all, thanks for your replies.

I am somewhat new to the game, and yes, I just signed up for the forum. I was simply looking for direction to see if it was possible to setup a temporary session. I appreciate everyone's feedback, and ideas, and will see if I can turn this into a scavenger hunt.

These are for cub scouts, so ages 5-12. The Boy Scouts have merit badges, but as far as Cub Scouts, this is just something to get them outside and spending time with their family and friends.

My aim was to try and provide something were I could get both the parents and the boys interested in going out and geocaching as a family in the future.

If anyone else has ideas on how to do a localized private cache where I can simply enter the lat/long into an app and have the boys follow the arrow let me know.

Thanks again!

Not sure where you are, but in the US, Tiger Cubs are boys ages 6-7 and Cub Scouts are boys ages 7-10. Boy Scouts are for boys ages 11-18.

I am not aware of any apps that can accomodate your temporary cache idea.

Good luck.

Klikaklu might be an app that would work for your scavenger day. Here's the Klikaklu tagline:

Picture Treasure Hunts on Your iPhone

Like treasure hunting, geocaching, or scavenger hunts?

Here's a quick, fun way to create and play outdoor finding games using your phone's camera and GPS!

Edited by L0ne.R

You can use c:geo or cache sense to do this.

One way would be to pull up any nearby geocache and start searching for it. Then pull up the add a waypoint option and add your temp cache and then hit the navigation to your new waypoint.

Of course, it is a bit more detailed than that but I just tested it with both apps and it will work out.