reposting photos to facebook?

I am fairly new to geocaching and have set out some travel bugs to help people learn about wildlife. Some people are posting their photos with the travel bugs on the mission pages, and I'd love to repost them to Facebook & Twitter so others can see how fun geocaching is and about wildlife education. However, I don't want to repost if it's considered unethical/rude to do so. What do you all think?

Photographs are copyright of the photographer.

As such you should ask the photographers permission before posting them elsewhere...

So, posting them to a public place doesn't mean you've already given permission for them to be used publicly?

Certainly not!

Just because it's posted to Groundspeaks site doesn't mean OTHERS can use it elsewhere.

(Well, they can, but not legally!)

As such you should ask the photographers permission before posting them elsewhere...

So, posting them to a public place doesn't mean you've already given permission for them to be used publicly?

If I park my car in a public place that doesn't mean you can take it. If I publish a book, it doesn't mean you can copy it and sell it. Why would photographs be different?

Almost every photographer I know has a website. (Including me.) We can use our photos for whatever we like, because they're ours. Normally anyone who wants to use them as they would like needs to ask permission at a minimum, if not pay money for such a license.

Ok thanks for your input. Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about professional photos, merely the snapshots that people have taken of themselves with our travel bugs and posted to the travel bug mission pages (was unclear if that meant something different than posting to their own pages). However, I have no problem with asking permission and agree it sounds like the best way to pursue this. If anyone has a different opinion, feel free to respond.

Edited by Fishery Resources

Under some circumstances, it is OK to link to an original photo (i.e. you are using the owner's copy), as long as you also credit the photographer. But to do that, you have to make sure it is specifically allowed in the web site's TOS and TOU.

I use a google-owned site that does exactly that. As long as 1) I am credited with the photo, 2) they did not download and re-upload the photo (i.e. they used a link), and 3) clicking on my name or the photo takes them to my page, then they can use the photo.

I have hundreds of photos that have been used this way, and it drives a small amount of traffic to my main page.

I have seen nothing in the TOS or TOU that would lead me to believe that is allowed with user photos on Geocahcing.com

Austin

Edited by AustinMN

The creative commons licenses offer differ options for photos. I am not sure whether I use these (or simply reserve all rights) on my Flickr pages, but it seems like a good system. I know some people watermark all photos posted online in the hopes it will limit how many times they get reposted on Tumblr or Facebook. I just hope that people will do the right thing - I have been asked for permission to use certain things but nothing for anything posted on this site.

Groundspeaks TOU provides that "you may not use third party content from our services unless you have our permission, obtain the permission of the content owner or are otherwise permitted by law." But if you submit material here, you also give up a fair amount of rights:

By submitting content to our services, you grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully transferable and sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content in any media now known or created in the future. You agree that we have no obligation to monitor or protect your rights in any content that you may submit to us, but in the event that someone else takes content you have submitted through our services without either of our permission, you give us the right to request that they take the content off of their website or otherwise stop using it.

When I have thought about that, it has made me a little uneasy. What am I giving up by submitting a photo with my log? As a practical answer, perhaps very little. For some reason, Groundspeak has not chosen to create a derivative work based on Aura Raines.

Edited by geodarts