Glyphs

geodarts

Chasing down a glyph is more interesting to me than most containers. On a recent trip to Utah I was thinking about the diversity of the images, which I have seen from Scotland to Hawaii, from Canada to the Southwest. Caching has often taken me to nice panels, and it's fun when the two come together. Sometimes the name of the cache makes it easy to identify the site - my own Great Gallery earthcache was developed in part to encourage people to see the amazing art that is found there. Other times, I have noticed caching logs that contain rock art photos, often only after we have returned home. So I am starting this thread in the hope that it may encourage sharing places where caching and rock art come together.

These are some of the places we visited last week.

Nine Mile Canyon Petroglyphs

8fddb3d2-7264-4ca7-bf1b-4b5b9e7b11f0.jpg

panel cache

af83f636-35ef-4f87-91c3-20db0758e540.jpg

Where is the Indian Art

3fc766f3-b111-41f8-8c67-743a76f8d64f.jpg

You Can See Forever

Our closest stop on the way to this panel.

34ecb74f-44ce-49c8-8b29-2a824eb43bfc.jpg

Fremont Indian State Park

2ab2d96b-1747-4b7f-a15d-0a2f0af34781.jpg

Edited by geodarts

I have many I can share with you. I live in Utah and see them a lot. Suggestions on photo hosting site?

Utah has some of my favorites, including virtual caches at Nine Mile Canyon and Fremont State Park, traditionals at the Rochester panel and Fish Cove, earthcaches at Newspaper Rock and my own Great Gallery. I was just looking at Sega Canyon and telling my wife that we need to go to Utah.

So if you know any caches with glyphs, post recommendations and photos here. I would like to know. As for photos, I use Flickr although I am way behind with uploading pictures there. Or if you know of places that it is better not to publicize, I would love to find out more privately.

Edited by geodarts

I have many I can share with you. I live in Utah and see them a lot. Suggestions on photo hosting site?

Utah has some of my favorites, including virtual caches at Nine Mile Canyon and Fremont State Park, traditionals at the Rochester panel and Fish Cove, earthcaches at Newspaper Rock and my own Great Gallery. I was just looking at Sega Canyon and telling my wife that we need to go to Utah.

So if you know any caches with glyphs, post recommendations and photos here. I would like to know. As for photos, I use Flickr although I am way behind with uploading pictures there. Or if you know of places that it is better not to publicize, I would love to find out more privately.

I will get a list compiled and send it your way. Working on uploading some pictures for ya of glyphs.

No type of caching will take you to Renegade (Little Petroglyph) Canyon in the Cosos, but after our day there, we visited an earthcache that offered a view of the playa that we crossed on our way to the Canyon. So it gave me an excuse to post this photo.

033074b4-48be-4b64-9a36-b0cf3f528a20_l.jpeg

No type of caching will take you to Renegade (Little Petroglyph) Canyon in the Cosos, but after our day there, we visited an earthcache that offered a view of the playa that we crossed on our way to the Canyon. So it gave me an excuse to post this photo.

Sounds like a good opportunity to create your own geocache at the petroglyphs.

Very cool glyph. A little more contrast in the photo might help punch it up so you can see it better.

Just before leaving on a camping trip, I came across references to petroglyphs around Spyrock Road in Northern California. The Cahto people still use it as a boundary marker and there are numerous inscriptions ranging from cupoles (fertility symbols) to animal paws. The concentric circles may date from 100 BC and are thought to be among the oldest in the northwest. This Cache came up when I was searching for its location.

c4d5e7b4-2da2-4b2a-8533-4ca70032aecd.jpeg

Utah. There are more outstanding panels and ruins than nearby caches. Moon House. Tower House. The Green Alien, Intestine Man, and TV sheep around Moab. I ended up marking some of the sites we wanted to visit as "megaevents" in the caching app I use so to make it easier to plan our visit. But there were places where this game helped point the way.

A rest stop can be a place to Take a Rest, but it can also be a place to play respect to the Moqui Quen and their dog. People seem to go there to sign the log and use the facilities, but the Queen is less than a five minute walk away and there are hidden panels just across the road.

8d3fcc55-7d7f-43fd-b91f-01814db991e1_l.jpeg

Butler Wash near Bluff has some amazing rock art. The Wolfman Panel. The Procession Panel. Moki's Lost Bone was near the trailhead we used to find the Great Crane. The cache was easier to find than the glyph.

33dc9e3f-6558-4109-aad3-569489b41fcb_l.jpeg

There were others, of course. The Three Kings Panel and other art at Pictoglyphs Ranch; the Fremont petroglyphs of McKee Springs; the Barrier panels of Thompson Canyon; Moab's famed Mastadon (and the four-footed creature); the Buckhorn Wash Barrier panel; or even art that might be discovered along the road in Colorado.

The warning is always to Look But Don't Touch. Sadly, at that cache, there were those who had chosen to do other things. I could not tell whether this was an abandoned attempt or an ongoing project:

de749912-1a46-4e53-af14-47ba8a6975d8_l.jpeg

Edited by geodarts

While visiting the Gila Cliff Dwellings and Trail of the Past virtual, we enjoyed both the ruins and rock art. But we also learned about a nearby site that had escaped our attention. It turned out there was a cache at the latter location, but I could not determine that until we got closer to town.

aede545a-6c80-45d7-8363-ac59f2ecd1b9_l.jpeg

On the other hand, we weren't sure whether to visit the earthcache at the City of Rocks (given limited time in the area), but we learned about the rock art there (including two images of kokopellli) and that sealed the deal. We had just enough time after visiting the Gila sites. One of the images was a small kokopellli discretely hidden in the manner of a geocache.

0f881d9f-43c5-4a34-972b-ce43dd06a3ae_l.jpg

Edited by geodarts

I have seen many glyphs while on vacation, many of which are Native American (Anazazi, although this means that they don't know who did them originally) petroglyphs. Some of my favorites are the glyphs at the bottom of Glen canyon (although you need a boat and a permit), and the glyphs at Petroglyph National Monument, which is just outside of Albuquerque. I can see if I have photos, and if I do, I will share.