GC1D Disabled

J Grouchy

It's a buried 5 gallon bucket

Can't be. Geocaches are never buried.

Oh, except if they're 14 years old.

I see lots of newer buried caches. And I get chastised when I report them.

Yes! The local community loves them, dumps favorites on them. Reviewers are hesitant to archive them if it is hard to prove the hider didn't use an existing hole. I went through the gauntlet on one and won't report any more.

Probably would have helped if the disabled log said more than "Temp disable..."

Caches get disabled for a lot of reasons. If you are disabling it at the request of the property owner, you should state that and ask for people to not seek the cache during the time it is disabled.

You should also realize that few people read the listings anymore. A lot of cachers are working off of pq's or apps and looking at only the coordinates; especially on an easy traditional.

One thing is that the Apps don't require you to 1. read a description, 2. read recent logs, and/or 3. change the fact that the cache is still there to be found.

The risk of a throwdown is increased at any "desirable" cache site--be it the ET highway, or an "oldest cache in 'X'" cache. People who want a cache for a specific or sentimental reason will more often than not be the person to place a throwdown, or even visit a cache during closed hours or when disabled at a request of owner or land manager.

So, the only reason this cache lives on is for the sentimentality of the "old" cache. This whole cache's "age and tenure is a trump card to archival" really chaps my hide. If a cache is creating undue attention or unwanted traffic, it should be moved or archived. Let the flame war commence.

This isn't an app issue as the app will not pull a disabled cache into a search. The referenced problem is one of old school cachers who are working from PQ data.

Yes! The local community loves them, dumps favorites on them. Reviewers are hesitant to archive them if it is hard to prove the hider didn't use an existing hole. I went through the gauntlet on one and won't report any more.

I had a cache owner freak out on me for mentioning a buried cache a while back. It was someone who really ought to know better too. She said she didn't "dig" the hole, she "gently scooped" the material away to make the hole.

I had a cache owner freak out on me for mentioning a buried cache a while back. It was someone who really ought to know better too. She said she didn't "dig" the hole, she "gently scooped" the material away to make the hole.

Ah...so that's how we do it. We grab a shovel and just sort of gently push all that 'loose' soil out of the way. Good to know!

What "gaunltet"? If you feel a need to report it, do so and forget about it.

Edited by baloo&bd

Probably would have helped if the disabled log said more than "Temp disable..."

Caches get disabled for a lot of reasons. If you are disabling it at the request of the property owner, you should state that and ask for people to not seek the cache during the time it is disabled.

You should also realize that few people read the listings anymore. A lot of cachers are working off of pq's or apps and looking at only the coordinates; especially on an easy traditional.

One thing is that the Apps don't require you to 1. read a description, 2. read recent logs, and/or 3. change the fact that the cache is still there to be found.

The risk of a throwdown is increased at any "desirable" cache site--be it the ET highway, or an "oldest cache in 'X'" cache. People who want a cache for a specific or sentimental reason will more often than not be the person to place a throwdown, or even visit a cache during closed hours or when disabled at a request of owner or land manager.

So, the only reason this cache lives on is for the sentimentality of the "old" cache. This whole cache's "age and tenure is a trump card to archival" really chaps my hide. If a cache is creating undue attention or unwanted traffic, it should be moved or archived. Let the flame war commence.

This isn't an app issue as the app will not pull a disabled cache into a search. The referenced problem is one of old school cachers who are working from PQ data.

I'm aware of that fact. If you load a PQ to your official app, and use that to seek caches, you will have archived and disabled caches visible. It happened to me with an archived cache I was seeking which was active when I downloaded the query to my Groundspeak App.

Anyway, a cache owner would have to log that Temp Disabled log, which doesn't always happen. My post was in context of reading descriptions, previous logs, etc to gain an understanding about how to seek a cache without disturbing the surroundings--be that neighbors, nature, or whatever.

I remember the TD log being used quite a bit, and now not so much. I don't really know why that is. But the idea remains from my post--if an owner tries to post information about a hide that will help that hide's longevity and "permanence", the App doesn't automatically bring you to read that information like the webpage does. Then we see cases in addition to what we see in the OP--not just old PQs on a GPS unit, but also on PQs downloaded to the Apps, and any cache that isn't disabled coming up in a general search where special care may be needed when seeking the cache.

If you load a PQ to your official app, and use that to seek caches, you will have archived and disabled caches visible. It happened to me with an archived cache I was seeking which was active when I downloaded the query to my Groundspeak App.

I've done that a few times. I load the PQ into the app so I have the data when I don't have cell service. I will also do that when I have a particular set of caches I want to find and I've already mapped out my trip. That's why it is important to give a bit of lead time on disabling if you are trying to avert a problem such as the one on this cache.

Meanwhile, back at the cache, GC1D is back online.

That is all. You may now resume your tangent discussions. :anibad:

The best time to visit is around 9pm, when the homeowner's 20 year old daughter does her evening routine. Also when burying a 10 gallon bucket, the proper procedure is to dig a large hole as a ordinary resident and fill it with leaves, then return 5 years later as a geocacher and toss a micro at the bottom. After a few dozen finds announce your intention to take full advantage of the anomaly, placing the bucket in, pushing the dirt around it, and then change the size. :rolleyes:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool