Google Maps API with AJAX

Hello everyone,

First off, I'm starting my adventure into web development and have plenty of html/css and jQuery experience. My JavaScript skills, outside of jQuery, are, let's just say, elementary. I've been playing around with the Google Maps API v3 and have successfully loaded the map, added multiple markers with infowindows, added KML overlays and used AJAX to display a track in GPX form. Here's where I'm hoping I can enlist the help of the talented and good looking devs in the geocaching community.

I would like to write an AJAX call that will parse a gpx file (found caches, in this instance) and display the markers on my map. I can't find any example of this online other than what Bing Maps has in their API documentation. That said, has anyone out there done this kind of thing? I have been successful in saving the GPX file as a KML, hosting said KML and using that with the API but I'm trying to figure out AJAX and would love to do this. Note, this isn't for any work or school related project - it's just for me to play around with JS and AJAX. I can set up an example map with the KML overlay on my personal site and link to it, if anyone would like.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!