load a pocket query to my Garmin 62s

rdlemler

This tutorial is a really good one: http://www.follow-th.../paperless.html .

Click on Paperless Caching in the red banner >

Scroll to the bottom of that page >

Click on the compass icon for Garmin.

It may seem a bit mind-boggling at first, but just a couple of tries and you should have it down pat.

Simply put:

Download PQ data;

Plug Garmin into computer;

Locate the Garmin as a <drive> or <storage device> and open it;

Therein, locate a file folder named something like Garmin/GPX/;

Click, drag 'n drop (or copy) the downloaded PQ files to the above folder -- unzipped, there should be two GPX file folders -- copy both of them;

If using a PC, right-click and select Eject, unplug the Garmin;

Go geocaching.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

It may seem a bit mind-boggling at first, but just a couple of tries and you should have it down pat.

Simply put:

Download PQ data;

Click, drag 'n drop (or copy) the downloaded PQ files to the above folder -- unzipped, there should be two GPX file folders -- copy both of them;

Go geocaching.

THANK YOU SO MUCH...IT IS A LITTLE OVERWHELMING TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO USE THE 62S AND THE WEBSITE. I FOLLOWED YOUR DIRECTIONS AND IT PUT MY LIST ONTO THE UNIT. THANKS AGAIN.

Simply put:

Download PQ data;

Go geocaching.

The link does not work update please

....dragged the zipped files to it, and nothing. Thanks

I don't believe that your GPSr can unzip the file(s), nor can it read zipped files. You need to unzip before loading them to the unit.

When unzipped, there should be two files: a large xxxxxxxx.gpx file and a smaller xxxxxxxx-wpts.gpx file.

Drag 'n drop (or copy) BOTH files to the Garmin/gpx/ folder.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I did manage to find the two files and dragged them, still no dice - but keep in mind I've had this thing for a few hours. Right now lugging around an extra battery for my cell phone doesn't seem like such a bad idea. For now I've dragged the pocket queries onto the device's memory but now they're list one huge list. Is there any way to have them display in separate folders? Ex. I have a PQ for Barrie, Toronto, and a series, and they're all on one big list right now.

Thanks for the reply

The two files need to go in to the GPX folder, that is inside the GARMIN folder.

Show me how to do paperless caching > Follow the arrow Scroll down to Show me how to do paperless caching and click the pointer next to How to create a Pocket Query and transfer it into a Garmin GPS. Transferring the GPX file directly to the GPS without any other software.

(If the units new, have you registered it here > http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx ?

You can get 30 days Premium Membership added to your membership.)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I don't even think about the memory card except for my maps. For PQs I just open the Garmin folder-then the GPX and drop the PQ right there. Done.

If you only have a few caches to load I use the "Send to GPS" option on the cache page. Of course you have to upload the add on from the Garmin site.

I did manage to find the two files and dragged them, still no dice - but keep in mind I've had this thing for a few hours. Right now lugging around an extra battery for my cell phone doesn't seem like such a bad idea. For now I've dragged the pocket queries onto the device's memory but now they're list one huge list. Is there any way to have them display in separate folders? Ex. I have a PQ for Barrie, Toronto, and a series, and they're all on one big list right now.

Thanks for the reply

Short answer ... no

You can load them separately, with different names, but the unit displays them as one big list, organizing them by distance from you.

I've gotten around that by using my cell phone, and GSAK, but that's complicated and for a different thread.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Thanks for the reply

Short answer ... no

You can load them separately, with different names, but the unit displays them as one big list, organizing them by distance from you.

I've gotten around that by using my cell phone, and GSAK, but that's complicated and for a different thread.

A Delorme unit will hold them separately... but that too, equates to a different thread and not applicable in this case (this thread, being about a Garmin unit).

When traveling, I load "mini"-PQ's for areas that I plan on spending some time at, loading perhaps 100-250 caches from that area. Arriving there, I open that particular (named) file... not messing with any other caches or lists. Next stop, just open the next file.

I also have a "maintenance" file that contains only my hides. Have not yet reached the max number of caches or PQ's that can be loaded on a 16gig card... but then, I (we) aren't "numbers" cachers.

:)

If a Delorme, you could've named each PQ "Barrie", "Toronto" and "series", accessing each when necessary.

Have often wondered why Garmin doesn't allow such.