International EarthCache Day - show your visits

terratin

I just returned from a business trip last night and have taken today off. Otherwise I'd be at the office and would not have time to log an EC today. We drove some 100km out to a sanddune EC, the only one left to log for us in the whole country.

The dune was seriously impressive: very big and with lots of smaller dunes on top. Here are some photos.

a65cc51c-7821-42dc-bc27-f2f2cfd86e86.jpg

8e48ad11-3e14-498f-9416-84152b3b73b2.jpg

480fee44-fc1c-4388-b379-b9d5500319f6.jpg

Mrs. terratin

Otherwise I'd be at the office and would not have time to log an EC today.

Many cachers in my area just log ECs on whichever day they find appropriate and not on the day of their visit to the location.

I encountered several logs in August and several for yesterday where people mentioned in their logs that they saved an EC log to get awarded

a souvenir. As they mention this openly they do not even seem to have the slightest issue with that sort of approach.

Many cachers in my area just log ECs on whichever day they find appropriate and not on the day of their visit to the location.

I encountered several logs in August and several for yesterday where people mentioned in their logs that they saved an EC log to get awarded

a souvenir. As they mention this openly they do not even seem to have the slightest issue with that sort of approach.

I think it's reasonable to log an EC find for either the day of your visit or the day you send acceptable answers to the cache owner. Technically, you don't fulfill the EC requirements until you send the answers.

Edited by CanadianRockies

No souvenir for me - I was busy hosting an event for International EarthCache Day. Very nice turnout, and we toured a brand new EC after the event. (Special thanks to the Reviewer for holding off publication until the day before the event!!! Everyone also got the FTF.)

The group photo was from one of the attendees.

0e67a9ad-dfa6-49fb-8fe4-76db0cf8e21e.jpg

Edit - I don't kow why this didn't show up full-sized. Go to GC5D5AZ if you want to see it better.

Edited by egroeg

I think it's reasonable to log an EC find for either the day of your visit or the day you send acceptable answers to the cache owner. Technically, you don't fulfill the EC requirements until you send the answers.

True but then all the EC-related souvenirs are pretty meaningless. You could also keep the answers from a visit in the past and send them away whenever appropriate and then terratin would not have needed a day off to be able to log an EC on EC day (and that was the statement I commented on). It is one thing to need some additional days to answer the questions and another one to plan in advance to use an EC weeks or months later. Moreover, in some cases where signs or something else change at a location, it can be misleading if people log their visits with current dates.

Edited by cezanne

Pff.. lighten up, Cezanne! Some people do like souvenirs. I know I honestly logged all souvenirs, and I like all of them (well, most anyway). What other people do with them is up to them.

Yes, it is up to them and I do not care. I just wondered about the interpretation that logging an EC at the day when one sends off the answers and not the day of the visit and the day at which

one learnt something about the geology of the location (a guideline-conform EC should teach the visitors something at the site, not weeks later at home) apparently seems the right thing to

do for many people. I do not think that this is a question of honesty as those cachers I had in mind openly mention that they visited the location weeks ago. They could refrain from mentioning

this and then everyone would believe that they visited the EC on the day for which they logged the visit. That then would be dishonest, but not the described behaviour.

Anyway to come back to the topic. I did not visit an EC on Sunday and rather went for a nice and sunny hike. None of the ECs which are within 80km from my home (as the crow flies) is really attractive to me and

most of them can be visited also when the weather does not allow to go for hikes in the mountains.

Cezanne