setting up a cache with a chirp

daymo&bex

The Chirp should be as close to the coords as possible, yet still be not found. People aren’t supposed to find the actual device. It should be off the ground, and be approachable from any direction (as much as possible). I wrapped mine to a tree branch using camo tape. You’ll need to change the battery occasionally and even the Chirp itself sometimes. It has small parts, so it can be tough to do a battery change in the field, while keeping everything clean and dry. Once it’s in place, test it to see at what distance you receive the data, and note where the new waypoint is stored on your GPSr. Place some info on the cache page about the process receiving and using the data.

That's great thanks for that, can I list it as any type of cache traditional, multi or is there a specific type for chirps?

You may list it as a "Mystery Cache" with an attribute of "wireless beacon required". You might be able to list it as a Multi if the Reviewer accepts that, but since it is more than one stage, I don't think "Traditional" would work.

The one chirp cache I've found was listed as a multi-cache. At each non-final stage, you could either use the chirp signal or find the container the chirp was in (which had the coordinates for the next stage on the outside). Clearly, that cache used the "seekers can find the geocache without being able to receive the beacon's message" option described in the Help Center article linked to by Cardinal Red. I thought it was a good way to do it.

Personally, I'd use a multi-platform system that doesn't require a transmitter (or the battery replacements a transmitter will require). For example, Wherigo or Intercaching can run on various devices, including iPhones and Android phones.

The one chirp cache I've found was listed as a multi-cache. At each non-final stage, you could either use the chirp signal or find the container the chirp was in (which had the coordinates for the next stage on the outside).

That would be good. Well, not the part where people can find the Chirp itself, I keep mine uber-aggressively hidden. But written coords will save cachers a trip. Chirp is highly experimental and highly not working so good. My GPSr crashed several times while I was beta-testing my Chirp cache. AND the waypoint may not even be in view once retrieved, depending on the GPSr and waypoint distance -- it may be saved but the GPSr won't display it til you're in the area, and at a firmware specified distance (100 miles? I'm not sure). That's no big deal for a Multi in a park, but it's a consideration if using strange coords for puzzle purposes.

So my Chirp cache has lots of info, warnings, and tips. The Garmins that can receive Chirp are flakey as it is, and Chirp takes that to a whole new level. Chirp is just some nerdy fun, not for serious navigational purposes.

Personally, I'd use a multi-platform system that doesn't require a transmitter (or the battery replacements a transmitter will require). For example, Wherigo or Intercaching can run on various devices, including iPhones and Android phones.

That's cool. But I can't use the phone stuff (no fancy phone), so I won't be placing those. One thing I've thought of for Chirp is, placing a Chirp along a trail and one day somebody just happens pass and their GPSr receives the waypoint! That's pretty much how my car TB is set up. So I'm gonna do that with a cache someday. Yeah. Sure I will. :yikes:

Edited by kunarion

That's cool. But I can't use the phone stuff (no fancy phone), so I won't be placing those. One thing I've thought of for Chirp is, placing a Chirp along a trail and one day somebody just happens pass and their GPSr receives the waypoint! That's pretty much how my car TB is set up. So I'm gonna do that with a cache someday. Yeah. Sure I will. :yikes:

I only enable the 'chirp search' on my GPSr when I'm searching for a chirp. Otherwise it uses too much battery power. I have found three chirp caches, and DNFed one that had a dead battery.

I only enable the 'chirp search' on my GPSr when I'm searching for a chirp.

Me, too. I have no idea if there's a significant battery drain on my Oregon 650, who knows. But I have a Chirp in my car and it's annoying to "Discover" it all the time. :anicute:

Since Chirp detection is buried in menus and "off" by default, on my imaginary Chirp cache (the one where someone has to pass it by chance along the trail), FTF will be elusive.

I have found three chirp caches, and DNFed one that had a dead battery.

The Chirp won't tell you when the battery's getting low. I have a note on my cache page to post the distance they receive the Chirp data, since I'm guessing the range diminishes as the battery goes dead. I'm also planning to change the batteries once a year. I was gonna do that every 6 months (if the expected battery life is 12 months, therefore the Chirp is always alive), but I noticed I'm far too lazy to change it that often. But battery quality varies, and any battery could fail badly at any time, especially with extreme outdoor temperature changes.

One thing I realized pretty quickly: You can't stop your approach at the edge of Chirp reception. That's where the signal is weak. But the GPSr starts doing all kinds of exciting things upon Chirp detection, so cachers tend to stop and look at the GPSr.

I have additional Chirps. I will be swapping the whole unit (then clean and dry the original one for next year), not just changing the battery. Around here, if I try to change the battery in the field, water is gonna get inside and cause huge problems later. Plus, if the battery leaked, a whole new Chirp is required.

Edited by kunarion
I only enable the 'chirp search' on my GPSr when I'm searching for a chirp.

Me, too. I have no idea if there's a significant battery drain on my Oregon 650, who knows. But I have a Chirp in my car and it's annoying to "Discover" it all the time. :anicute:

Since Chirp detection is buried in menus and "off" by default, on my imaginary Chirp cache (the one where someone has to pass it by chance along the trail), FTF will be elusive.

I have found three chirp caches, and DNFed one that had a dead battery.

The Chirp won't tell you when the battery's getting low. I have a note on my cache page to post the distance they receive the Chirp data, since I'm guessing the range diminishes as the battery goes dead. I'm also planning to change the batteries once a year. I was gonna do that every 6 months (if the expected battery life is 12 months, therefore the Chirp is always alive), but I noticed I'm far too lazy to change it that often. But battery quality varies, and any battery could fail badly at any time, especially with extreme outdoor temperature changes.

One thing I realized pretty quickly: You can't stop your approach at the edge of Chirp reception. That's where the signal is weak. But the GPSr starts doing all kinds of exciting things upon Chirp detection, so cachers tend to stop and look at the GPSr.

I have additional Chirps. I will be swapping the whole unit (then clean and dry the original one for next year), not just changing the battery. Around here, if I try to change the battery in the field, water is gonna get inside and cause huge problems later. Plus, if the battery leaked, a whole new Chirp is required.

what the idea of having a chirp in your car as a trackable or something?

what the idea of having a chirp in your car as a trackable or something?

My car is a Geocoin, discoverable exclusively as Chirp. I'm at a Mega Event now, and will post a sign in the window to give people a leetle clue. Normally there's no clue, except for a Geocoin behind the back window, tracking code out of view. If someone happens to log it, they get a nice icon for their trouble, an icon that's unusual to find in Georgia.

Edited by kunarion

Be careful what you put them in or wrap around them, as that can weaken the signal.

It's better off to hide it in a protected location (underneath cover away from the weather) and leaving it naked.

Whatever you decide to do, run some tests to make sure the signal is good and everything works properly.

We hid a chirp cache in a park pavillion, in the highest corner near the roofline (in darkness) out of sight and out of reach.

About a year later, we went back to replace the battery.... the chirp device was GONE!!! My only assumptions is that someone stole it. If so....Too bad for them... once the chirp is programmed, it will only work with the original GPS that programmed it initially. Another GPS can't unlock it (so to speak).

Be careful what you put them in or wrap around them, as that can weaken the signal.

It's better off to hide it in a protected location (underneath cover away from the weather) and leaving it naked.

Whatever you decide to do, run some tests to make sure the signal is good and everything works properly.

We hid a chirp cache in a park pavillion, in the highest corner near the roofline (in darkness) out of sight and out of reach.

About a year later, we went back to replace the battery.... the chirp device was GONE!!! My only assumptions is that someone stole it. If so....Too bad for them... once the chirp is programmed, it will only work with the original GPS that programmed it initially. Another GPS can't unlock it (so to speak).

Thats my only concern someone lifting it i know they not mega bucks but its not in the spirit of things