Discoverable Geocoins

CoxandClan

Hi Folks,

I wonder if you can help me.

Recently, one of my Geocoins has been going nuts with "Discovered" emails and it is driving me mad. One log said thanks for sharing it on "Cachers Coins".

My question is, I haven't shared this coin anywhere and I would rather it wasn't "discoverable" as this is just spamming my emails. Is there anyway I can stop it being discoverable?

Thanks

CoxandClan

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1849344

Maybe you should ask that cacher where that site is at exactly. You should pretend to show interest in discovering that many coins yourself.

Then you can talk to the administrators of that site to remove your coin as it was put the illegally.

Unfortunately it's become a trend to log coins that you never even saw.

Just delete the discover logs afterwards.

Cachers coins is a group on Facebook for geocoin collectors to share their coin collections.

There does however seem to have been a recent trend for cachers to find coins, take pictures and then post them on the page, with the trackable number showing.

When cachers are trying to complete challenges where you must have logged or discovered a number of coins to claim a find on a cache then they are using this to up their numbers.

The admins of the group have stipulated that you should only post images of coins that you own and that you are willing to allow to be discovered.

Sadly this is being ignored by many users who are posting as I have mentioned above.

My only suggestion is that you join said group, find the image of your coin, which will then go some way towards identifying the name of that cacher who took the original picture and posted it.

Then you may be able to demand that the admins remove your coins picture.

Edited by Daz & Mel

I have a look and i can see no one that is team jellyfish, nor can i see anything matching the tracking code, starting with MC or anything matching it in the pictures.

Other than that there isnt a lot i can do.

I have message Spire67 as we are both members of another group, and i will see if i can get you some more info.

Daz

Hi

I am the cretor and admin of Cachers Coins. I think Daz&Mel have pretty much explained the group. We do ask people to only share the coins that they own of this group.

We have recently had a lot of discoveries from cachers in Germany as it seems a list has been created and passed around an event. As your coin is not on the group it could either be that your number has made it onto this 'List' somehow and someone has used a program to log all the coins they have seen and just used the one post 'seen on cachers coins' or that your coin was discovered in error due to a digit being typed in wrong.

I know Cachers coins is not everyones way of sharing coins as once you share your code it is very easy for this code to then be passed around but I feel it's no different than someone writing a list of codes at an event and passing that on. It's very difficult to police.

Hop this helps

The same thing is happening to one of my TB. I messaged a few people that discovered mine. I only got one reply and he said there was a list on Facebook called Public "trackable-discover" list but I couldn't find mine on there. One person posted they discovered it on Cachers Coin Facebook page but I also don't see it on there. Other people posted that it was on a list from the Munich Giga Event.

Same here, one of my coins with no logs wound up on a list that was given out by the "CO" at a mega in Africa I was told. Dozens of bogus logs. I wish Groundspeak would take action and make a stern policy about this. Or… allow us to lock our coins. :anibad:

Edited by JoenSue

Groundspeak will offer you to archive your geocoin. That way no log can be made. BUT you will never ever be able to unarchive it and use it again.

It is a shame, that Groundspeak shows little interest in protecting their paying customers from virtual loggers or better said: cheaters.

In my opinion as the owner of a trackable you should be able to block any type of logs on it as a whole or each one as necessary.

I myself bought some active coins recently. What the seller kept from me was that she gave people the code when they solved a riddle first. None of these people ever saw the coins and keep repeatedly spamming the listing. I feel cheated on by the seller and am deleting this spam frequently.

As well the famous "took-it-to"-log. Just as unnecessary as dust on the tv-set, BUT no option as owner to prevent people from logging this piece of unusefull information. Most people do not care if you wrote in the description that you do not want those logs.

Edited by Tschakko

I know Cachers coins is not everyones way of sharing coins as once you share your code it is very easy for this code to then be passed around but I feel it's no different than someone writing a list of codes at an event and passing that on. It's very difficult to police.

Yes, the two practices are no different and both are difficult to police, precisely why both practices should be strongly discouraged.

In my opinion as the owner of a trackable you should be able to block any type of logs on it as a whole or each one as necessary.

I'm not sure what that would do since I want discover logs from people that have actually discovered my coin. I just want to block the ones from people that have never seen it. I'm hard pressed to come up with a way Groundspeak could help me distinguish the two.

I'm not sure what that would do since I want discover logs from people that have actually discovered my coin. I just want to block the ones from people that have never seen it. I'm hard pressed to come up with a way Groundspeak could help me distinguish the two.

There is no way they can help to distinguish real from faked ones. But they can implement the option to allow or not allow a certain type of log. As well they could implement the option of massdeletion of faked logs. I just had someone log a coin about 200 times just because I deleted his fake log. Now I wrote GS to have them and his profile deleted as it´s just a sock-puppet.

I would not have to involve them if I could prevent logs in the fist place or do a massdeletion in one click myself...

Well I have deleted all the disovered logs and edited the Coin telling people all discovered logs will be deleted as permission was not sought from the Coin's owner.

I have already had my first email telling me that if I don't want my coin discovered then I shouldn't show it off. Guess the whole point of my log was missed by them then!

I was contacted by one of the cachers who logged our coin as discoverable and he was able to tell me that he had seen the coin on an open Facebook group called Public Trackable Discover List. At the time, the cacher who logged it, believed the person who posted the numbers was the actual owner. He sent me a screen shot of the post and, sure enough, my coin's trackable number was listed on there!

The person accused of posting the numbers has now been in touch and says it wasn't him and that someone did it in his name?

https://www.facebook.com/PublicTrackableDiscoverList

Edited by CoxandClan

I saw a challenge cache here in Germany that requires you to have logged at least 3000 TBs/Coins. Sadly you are not allowed to log this cache when you recieved more than 3000 fake logs on your own trackables.

As long as those challenge caches are published or other statistic badges for this, there will be people who collect tracking codes.

BTW: What about achievement geocoins for 1K logged, 2K logged etc... trackables? And a challenge cache with a log requirement of having logged 1.000 of those...

Groundspeak will offer you to archive your geocoin. That way no log can be made. BUT you will never ever be able to unarchive it and use it again.

It is a shame, that Groundspeak shows little interest in protecting their paying customers from virtual loggers or better said: cheaters.

Add another vote for this... :angry:

I think it's a question of what people "think" is acceptable.

Cachers Coins fb group may not be responsible for the bogus logging of every trackable, but it does go some way to normalising the behaviour of logging a trackable that one has never seen. Most of us would regard that behaviour as cheating, especially when such in absentia discoveries are used to qualify for challenge caches.

I know of at least two challenge caches archived because people are doing this stuff.

I don't buy into all that "they're only cheating themselves" stuff either, they aren't.