Making waymarks to show up as geocaches

gpsblake

I know you can download gpx files of waymarks. What I would like to do is have them show up as geocaches on my GPSr instead of just waypoints, would make it much easier to find them and log them.

Any suggestions?

Not to sound negative, but ...

Don't hold your breath!

Seriously, I am sure it COULD be done, but I don't think it would be a simple task. I think this sort of question would be best answered by someone who is more "Tech-Savy". I still can't figure out how to export geocache descriptions to my (car)garmin. rolleyes.gif

Interesting thought. Both Geocaches and Waymarks are exported as a Waypoint type with different "extensions" to the basic GPX XML format. One could write an XML transformer that converts a Waymark waypoint GPX file into a Geocache waypoint GPX file. Or even vice versa. The information exported for a Waymark does not include the logs (Visits, Comments and such) nor does it have attributes (24 hour, Wheelchair accessible, etc.), so it wouldn't look exactly like a Geocache in some ways. But it should show up as Geocaching symbol and allow a Found It or other type of status.

I don't use GSAK, but I'll bet someone could come up with a macro to do that, if they haven't already.

I use GSAK & Waymarks as well as Benchmarks (Trig Stations) appear as traditional geocaches on my Magellan which I find frustrating. I've been caught twice trying to find a geocache where none exists. I just needed better preparation but I'd much rather the correct symbol be displayed to avoid confusion. I have a few waymarks to be visited but the majority are unlisted ones such as Palindromes which I have added myself.

I also use GSAK. When I load the Waymark GPX files into GSAK and then load them from there into my Garmin Oregon 450, they show up as generic geocaches (with a treasure chest symbol). I can log them on the GPSr as I would any other cache, and then use the field notes text file as a guide to help me identify which Waymarks I visited. I generally keep my Waymarking and Geocaching sessions separate, but when I don't the caches are shown with their specific cache type symbols, so I can still distinguish the Waymarks from the caches.

Tante.Hossi

Thank you. That's exactly what I want. I have a GPS unit I am no longer using (Dakota 20) and want it to be strictly a benchmark and/or waypointing gps.

Too bad Groundspeak never follows through on new ideas like Waymarking or Wherigo but an app for Waymarking would probably increase the number of users playing that game megafold.

Tante.Hossi

Thank you. That's exactly what I want. I have a GPS unit I am no longer using (Dakota 20) and want it to be strictly a benchmark and/or waypointing gps.

Too bad Groundspeak never follows through on new ideas like Waymarking or Wherigo but an app for Waymarking would probably increase the number of users playing that game megafold.

But there IS a Waymarking app. It can be found at http://www.chilehead.us/Waymarking or http://www.chilehead.us/wm

In the first link, it should be a lower case "W", auto correct keeps changing it.

From your cell phone go to either link above then bookmark it to your phone.

The only problem with it, and it has noting to do with the website, is when you can not get a cell signal.

Edited by jhuoni