New Category Proposal: Angelic Locations

Folks,

I've submitted a few waymarks into the Devilish Locations category, Man-made Devilish Locations and the 666 Sightings category. What I've often wondered is... Why isn't there an Angelic Locations category?

I'm proposing a category as an opposite approach to the Devilish Locations category in particular, and only accept waymark submissions for natural locations or objects (as in the Devilish category) with the word 'God', 'Jesus', 'angel', 'heaven', 'saint', 'holy' or words of a similar nature.

Think about it. Satan has THREE categories devoted to him. God has ZERO. I'm just trying to level the playing field a little. B)

Thoughts?

Edited by thebeav69

In my opinion it's obvious: the rarer, the more interesting.

Places named after Saints or something "Angelic" are just ubiquitous. There are areas where you drive for hours to NOT be in a place named after a saint. Los Angeles, San Francisco, El Salvador, Santiago de... , Corpus Christi and so on all over the world. It just fails on the prevalence criterion in terms of having too much potential locations worldwide. Not only municipalities and regions, but also smaller entities.

Places named after Saints or something "Angelic" are just ubiquitous. There are areas where you drive for hours to NOT be in a place named after a saint. Los Angeles, San Francisco, El Salvador, Santiago de... , Corpus Christi and so on all over the world. It just fails on the prevalence criterion in terms of having too much potential locations worldwide. Not only municipalities and regions, but also smaller entities.

I think you may be misunderstanding my intent for this category, fi67. The Angelic Locations category would ONLY allow NATURAL locations. We're not looking for anything commercial or man-made. Look at the submissions into the Devilish Locations category and you'll see what I mean. A mountain, river (and other bodies of water), canyon, cave, waterfall, beach, cliffs, etc. This narrows the playing field down quite a bit now doesn't it?

:D

I think you may be misunderstanding my intent for this category, fi67. The Angelic Locations category would ONLY allow NATURAL locations. We're not looking for anything commercial or man-made. Look at the submissions into the Devilish Locations category and you'll see what I mean. A mountain, river (and other bodies of water), canyon, cave, waterfall, beach, cliffs, etc. This narrows the playing field down quite a bit now doesn't it?

We lived in Corpus Christi for several years. Good thing the category is limited to natural features -- our eyes were rolling back in our heads ha ha ha

We call Corpus Christi Bay is this makes it -- we spent too much time in that odd little burg NOT to waymark it :)

I've created a group titled Heaven's Angels and is in open enrollment so any folks who would like to become a possible officer of the potential 'Angelic Locations' category can join.

As stated before, this potential category would mimic the Devilish Locations category and accept waymark submissions to natural locations around the world with 'angelic' names (a counter-term to the 'devilish' names). BTW, any townships (town, city, community) with angelic names would NOT be allowed, since these fall into the 'commercial' aspect of locations.

A short list of words (but not limited to) that might be part of a natural landmark name:

God

Christ

Angel

Heaven

Jesus

Allah

Messiah

Borderline words (but not limited to):

Holy

Celestial

Divinity

Lord (doesn't necessarily equate to the Holy 'Lord')

Saint (might be too many natural landmarks with 'saint' in the title to make this admissible)

Let's see what we can do to promote this category!

Edited by thebeav69

There might be a problem with the word "Heaven". In German language both "sky" and "heaven" is the same word "Himmel". Additionally, "Himmel" is also refering to a certain domed terrain surface. Therefore we have several hills and mountains with "Himmel" in their name. So, not every "Himmel...." has a religious background.

And if I use Google to translate "heaven and sky" to French, it says "ciel et ciel". In Italian it's "il cielo e il cielo" and so on. I had to check several languages to find one that also has different words for "sky" and "heaven".

I had to check several languages to find one that also has different words for "sky" and "heaven".

In Slovak language dtto - "nebo" means both "sky" and "heaven".

But I think this problem is minor one .. there should not be many locations on edge between these 2 meanings.

Anyway, it should be enough to comment it in category write-up, that meaning of the word has to be considered, not only word itself.

BTW, I endore Devilish categories and would love to see Anjelic one approved. Good idea B)

I had to check several languages to find one that also has different words for "sky" and "heaven".

In Slovak language dtto - "nebo" means both "sky" and "heaven".

But I think this problem is minor one .. there should not be many locations on edge between these 2 meanings.

Anyway, it should be enough to comment it in category write-up, that meaning of the word has to be considered, not only word itself.

BTW, I endore Devilish categories and would love to see Anjelic one approved. Good idea B)

VERY good insight, Rikitan! I've sent group invitations out to you and PISA-caching to become potential officers. It would be great to have a European officer (or two) who can decipher the meanings of 'angelic'-like words and help the cause. As soon as we get another officer on board, I can begin the category writeup.

:lol:

Folks:

I have created a category writeup for the renamed category Heavenly Locations and is requesting any comments or suggestions from all of you!

This category has been fun to create and I hope many folks will find it a small challenge to locate the numerous 'heavenly' natural locations worldwide if/when this category is approved.

:P

Edited by thebeav69

Well written, entertaining even.

I wish to dispute the exclusion of Saint though. I have checked the listings of mountains, rivers, lakes, waterfalls & bays in Australia & there are 2 lakes & 2 mountains with Saint in their name. None of the other natural features have Saint as part of their name. You'd think that with so many of us being able to trace our ancestry to Ireland that Heavenly names would be common but I could only find one, that being Trinity Bay in Queensland.

There is a Mount Nameless in Western Australia so perhaps I could substitute an appropriate name e.g. Heaven. This could be pure (Mount) Speculation on my behalf though. If Saint is excluded I would (Mount) Despair as I would have near (Mount) Zero chance of being able to submit anything to this category. Of course this could be a (Mount) Typo error but I am starting to feel (Mount) Hopeless given I am a lone Australian voice. Denial (Bay) of the inclusion of Saint would make me Anxious (Bay) that I could end up in a Coffin (Bay). You never know though these lists may be incomplete & I could be Lucky (Bay) & find something, even if it's just Trinity Bay.

Perhaps those who say Saint is too prevalent could justify their position.

(The mounts Despair, Typo etc are found in various states of Australia as are the bays Denial etc. My play on words, attempt at humour).

Edit: Formatting often plays up for me so this an attempt to have the wording a standard size across all paragraphs. I can't see size 1 so always select 2 but this time it (FRED) produced sizes 2 and 3!! Here goes.

Edited by Tuena

Truthfully, I liked "Angelic Locations" a bit better. I'm afraid of casting the net too wide on this. Your list of terms or names seems to lack focus -- just some religious aspect to them. There are definitely Christian names/terms and one Jewish one, and then there is Allah. I just wonder if those two are really appropriate. I'm not an expert on all schisms of Islam, but I think that certain uses of the name Allah could be considered blasphemous. When the Jewish scriptures were written, the name Yahweh could not be written, so sacred was it regarded. So, this attempt at inclusiveness might not work so well. And then what do we do about places which reference Buddhist believes, or Shinto or . . . well, you can see where we could go. Roman and Greek gods anyone?

In short, I would go with a more narrowly defined set of parameters. That being said, I wouldn't exclude Saint, probably. This is ubiquitous in place names, but not so much for natural features. I really want someone to waymark Mt. St. Helens.

Good discussion . . .

Good points, silverquill. I've changed the potential category title back to 'Angelic Locations'. I've also removed 'Allah' from the list of Christian references and added 'Saint'. I agree, 'Saint' is common for people-named places but not common in natural locations. I'll tweak the category description some more to point out that this category is aimed at Christian words, references and titles based off the Holy Bible and will exclude other religions that don't follow the Christian faith.

Well, in my area saints are not uncommon for natural place names. There are lots of mountains, islands, caves and more that are named after saints. So I would have preferred to exclude them, but it is still not over-prevalent, so I can live with it.

The two criteria Global and Prevalent are somewhat connected, because nothing is evenly spread all over the globe. There will always be places with no potential finds, and it can be still called a global category. But a potential over-prevalence in some areas is a problem that cannot be easily compensated by under-prevalence somewhere else. (Not the case here, luckily.)

I found an area near my home called "Kapellenfeld" (chapel field). Is that okay?

Greetings,

-lumbricus

Yes, I would approve it. The category description doesn't list "Chapel", but the list starts with "(but not limited to)". So, in my humble opinion a chapel is "angelic" enough.

The other question is: Is it a natural locations? From what I can see on Google Maps satellite view there are just acres. So, yes, seems to be natural. Of course it would be interesting to read how this area got its name (was there a chapel one day or maybe several chapels? why was it built? is it still there maybe? etc.).

Edited by PISA-caching

Think about it. Satan has THREE categories devoted to him. God has ZERO. I'm just trying to level the playing field a little. B)

Thoughts?

I regard my "Names from the Bible" category as being in God's column on the Waymarking scorecard. It seems like there would be a lot of overlap between your proposed category and my category's description: "Find a geographic place or feature that is named after a person, place or thing mentioned in the Bible."

And, we gladly accept "Saints." With 91 waymarks over seven-plus years, it's not creating a "prevalence" issue.

Thoughts?

I regard my "Names from the Bible" category as being in God's column on the Waymarking scorecard. It seems like there would be a lot of overlap between your proposed category and my category's description: "Find a geographic place or feature that is named after a person, place or thing mentioned in the Bible."

And, we gladly accept "Saints." With 91 waymarks over seven-plus years, it's not creating a "prevalence" issue.

I agree.