New type for geoart

Roman!

There have been some pretty impressive geoart a created with the basic cache types we have now, imagine what could be created with a better cache type.

My idea would be a simple circle or square as the icon but the CO could assign it any color the choose, I coukd see a Mona Lusa geoart being created.

Even better, the icon doesn't turn into the selected color till you find it so the geoart could be a surprise.

I agree that a GeoArt attribute would be a better way to handle this. As a reviewer, when a batch of GeoArt caches are presented to me, they will often be mystery caches so that the desired shape can be achieved, or a combination of cache types. Each cache is reviewed to the standards applicable to its cache type. For example, the mystery caches in the GeoArt cannot have posted coordinates more than 2 miles away from the actual location, and they need to incorporate a meaningful puzzle element.

Having a GeoArt cache type that could represent a traditional cache, a mystery cache, a Wherigo cache or other cache type would present the same logic challenge as is currently demonstrated by the letterbox hybrid cache type. A letterbox hybrid can be a traditional with a letterboxing stamp, a multicache with a letterboxing stamp, a mystery cache with a letterboxing stamp, etc. This has led to much confusion over the years. If attributes had been around when the letterbox hybrid cache concept was first identified, there would be a "letterboxing stamp in cache" attribute and not a separate cache type. The same should go for GeoArt.

Why is either a type or attribute necessary? If it's true geoart, that will be self evident as one looks at the area on a map.

Yes. My Geoart (such as it is) is quite obviously Geoart. (Hey. My brother-in-law dared me!) No need for a new type or icon. It's good the way it is.

If you read my post you'd see I'm suggesting the color of each icon can be selected so each cache could be like a pixel thus being able to create some pretty impressive masterpieces, also letterboxes, multis and unknowns wouldn't have to be abused.

Edited by Roman!

Why is either a type or attribute necessary? If it's true geoart, that will be self evident as one looks at the area on a map.

Roman!'s idea, which both The A-Team and Keystone seemed to have missed, is to provide a different and more flexible icon on the map so geoart could paint prettier pictures. He's basically suggesting an icon that would function as a pixel of arbitrary color. As far as I can see, Roman! was not at all concerned with identifying geoart either visually or in searches.

I find it an amusing and even intriguing idea, but I suspect we weren't supposed to take the proposal seriously.

Yes. My Geoart (such as it is) is quite obviously Geoart. (Hey. My brother-in-law dared me!) No need for a new type or icon. It's good the way it is.

If you read my post you'd see I'm suggesting the color of each icon can be selected so each cache could be like a pixel thus being able to create some pretty impressive masterpieces, also letterboxes, multis and unknowns wouldn't have to be abused.

How are using these cache types in geoart abuse? As Keystone said, they are reviewed like any other cache of that type.