GArmin GPS Map 62S Software 5.70 issue

Just updated my 62S to Firmware 5.70 today, loaded a PQ and had the wife drop me off on a dirt road with the intention of walking home. No sooner had she left when I found a major issue with my 62S which worked perfectly fine yesterday. It seems to load the PQ and shows the Geocaches on the map, but as soon as I select one the GPS freezes and no buttons work. I can't even shut the GPS off with the power button, I have to remove the batteries and reboot, but the problem persists. Anyone else have this issue and or know if a way to fix this problem? Totally screwed up my afternoon of planned Geocaching. Grrrrrr.

If the caches are being loaded to a micro SD card pull out the card.

Delete all GPX files off the unit and re load caches direct to the unit...then try. If O.K., format SD card. If not ,delete all GPX files off the unit and load a different PQ ( could be the file that's bad ) and try. If still no go you can try a master re set or try re downloading the firmware.

Unless a firmware corrects a problem I'm having or features something new I really want I don't upgrade.....let well enough alone.

Use GSAK and it removes the bad HTML. I've never had a freeze using GSAK to send.

I only use GSAK to send to all my units.....never had a freeze after choosing a cache to go to. However, on both my 62S and Oregon 450 the units bogged down and shut off during the boot process ( once at the same time loading same file ), a master re set was required on both.

Best I can figure it was a bad cache page. This also happened once using GSAK to load a poi macro to my Nuvi.....it turned out to be a problematic cache page.

Use GSAK and it removes the bad HTML. I've never had a freeze using GSAK to send.

I only use GSAK to send to all my units.....never had a freeze after choosing a cache to go to. However, on both my 62S and Oregon 450 the units bogged down and shut off during the boot process ( once at the same time loading same file ), a master re set was required on both.

Best I can figure it was a bad cache page. This also happened once using GSAK to load a poi macro to my Nuvi.....it turned out to be a problematic cache page.

I have had three 62s units and the problem you describe of shutting down during the boot process was common to all three. I cannot tell you why, but I got the 62st and have done power trails with the unit and it has had no problems. The master boot, etc is usually a temporary fix. If you use the unit, the problem will return eventually. I know some folks that live with that problem. I fortunately bought from a company with a good return policy and wasn't stuck with a refurb/replacement of the same unit. Some folks will swear it is a great unit, but in all my years of caching the numbers that I encounter for this unit are high. Good luck with whatever you decide.