Multiple home locations.

Black Ice Champ

I think having one "Home" location and several pre-stored alternate locations would be very nice. Not just for notifications, but for the Map and Pocket Queries as well.

Typing in coordinates is tedious, but selecting from a drop-down box would be a cinch.

I live near a city however I spend most of my weekends at a holiday place down by the beach.

It would be great if you could add another home location.

Thanks, Black Ice Champ

It would be really handy to be able to switch between "home" locations by simply clicking a link.

It would allow people to use the "caches nearest home" option much more effectively if they could just say "I'm at my holiday home" or "I'm at Aunt Betty's", if they were going for a few days.

Where people have a holiday home in France, or a mountain retreat in Montana, or whatever else, it would be even more useful. If you're just going away for a couple of days it's probably not worth doing but for those who regularly visit the same area for a week or more at a time it would be useful.

Where notifications are concerned, it chalks up yet another request to allow multiple cache types per notification. I used to have one load for "Home" and one for "home from home" but it's silly having to set up one notification for traditionals, another for multis, another for puzzles, another for events, another for wherigos and so on.

I have several places I visit in a year and in the past just set up a pq for each location and run it the day before I left. That would seem to take care of the issue.

Of course now I have moved on to APi and have them saved in the Get Caches dialog box of GSAK which gives me more parameters for searching and 6 times as many caches for the query if I wanted although I usually only do the closest 2,000. Then I can do any massaging there before shipping a subset to my gps.

Project-GC offers some great search capabilities also but I haven't found a way to save them for the future.

Why? Just for fun? Then it would be as functional as the friends list. For notifications? You can choose any location for notifications.

What about caching 'teams' that maybe don't live in the same house?

Seems like it would mean they'd have to double or triple (or more) a portion of the statistics for that profile, though...

Edited by J Grouchy

My situation is that I live 100 miles away from where I work. So, I have a home that I spend the weekends at, and an apartment near where I work. I know of quite a few people here at the office that do that. Students at a university are another example where people may have multiple locations they are constantly commuting between. (I happen to fit both categories.) Multiple locations would make selection for PQ's and the like easier and quicker.

One of the questions that would need to be addressed is, what to do about the statistics? My opinion is that this should be implemented as a home location and alternates, and leave any distance based statistics to be from the home location.

Statistics really aren't an issue.

When I spent two months away from home last year I just updated my home coordinates to where I was based at the time. The site updated my statistics, which looked a bit odd because it showed about 10 caches found within 10 miles of home and nearly two thousand caches more than 2500 miles from home.

If you have multiple "home" locations you'd still designate one as "home" and the others as something else. If you set one of the others to be your "home" location it would just update the stats as it does now, it would just make switching between them so much easier.