comparing GPSMAP76CX and etrax20

Huffy52

I have both of these but haven't used them as of yet. The GPSMA76CX came with a map on micro installed. The etrax 20 has just the base map. The micro will work in either unit so I could have a better map in whichever one I decided to use. I could use input from you as to which is best.

For Geocaching the Etrex20 as it has "paperless geocaching" features, i.e. it's designed for geocaching and you can download all the cache details and logs to the unit to read out in the field, you can't do that with the 76 - see here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=258717

You can get excellent free OpenStreetMap maps for the Etrex20, which are simple to install and use.

For Geocaching the Etrex20 as it has "paperless geocaching" features, i.e. it's designed for geocaching and you can download all the cache details and logs to the unit to read out in the field, you can't do that with the 76 - see here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=258717

You can get excellent free OpenStreetMap maps for the Etrex20, which are simple to install and use.

+1.....I'd put the map card in the Etrex and use it. The 76 was a great unit in its day but paperless caching is the way to go.

The 76csx is still a good unit today, I had one for years a kick myself for giving it away.

For paper less geocaching the Etrex 20 is better, but hold onto that 76, its cpu and map redraw times are much faster, it has a nice large, bright screen and has a couple of features I liked that were not incorporated into the newer models. It also floats and takes an external antenna which could be of use inside a boat cabin. That unit was kind of the low end marine unit. But as the others have said for geocaching the etrex is better/