Oregon 600/GSAK Database Question

BikeBill

I wasn’t sure where to post this question; the GSAK forum, the Oregon 600 wiki or here, so I thought I’d try here first.

I run 1000 cache PQ’s from Groundspeak and open them into GSAK. (1000 is the limit for a PQ, as I understand) I then make each PQ a separate GSAK database. For example, I have a ‘Local’ database for the 1000 closest unfound caches to home, a NJ database called ‘Rancocas’, etc. When I was using my 60CSx with a 1000 cache limit, I’d just swap the databases in and out of the GPS depending on where I was going. All was good.

I can do the same thing with my Oregon 600 but since it’s supposed to take an unlimited number of caches, I figured I’d just load them all. The problem is that when I load a new database, it deletes the existing one, even though I didn’t check the box to delete it.

I figure I’m doing something wrong but don’t know what. I realize I could combine all the databases into one but I don’t want to do that. With my separate databases/PQ’s I can re-run each PQ every few weeks and import it into GSAK to easily freshen things.

Ideas?

I load gpx multiple databases that I maintain on my caching app without an issue with my Oregon 600. It's been awhile since I used GSAK to do that, but I used to use it to export multiple GPX files from there and save them on the gpsrs. Are you using a macro that names the databases that are being exported? Are you creating a single GGZ file?

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! Multiple winners, actually.

<<Check the name... GSAK has a default of 'Geocaches' so if you load a second set it will overwrite the first. >>

That was exactly what I was doing wrong. I was assuming GSAK was differentiating between the databases when it loaded them into the GPS but it was not. It just called them 'Geocaches' as Bear said. I changed the name to the same as what I'd named the database and had success!

I'm not using a macro but you all had the right idea.

THANKS!

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! Multiple winners, actually.

<<Check the name... GSAK has a default of 'Geocaches' so if you load a second set it will overwrite the first. >>

That was exactly what I was doing wrong. I was assuming GSAK was differentiating between the databases when it loaded them into the GPS but it was not. It just called them 'Geocaches' as Bear said. I changed the name to the same as what I'd named the database and had success!

I'm not using a macro but you all had the right idea.

THANKS!

Been there, done that! :laughing:

The name is 'sticky' so whatever it was called last will stay, so every time you load a file it will need to be changed.